PDA

View Full Version : So when can we buy these PCI-E to AGP bridge pieces?

Headbust
12-05-04, 11:35 AM
Any idea?...

kahloq
12-05-04, 11:44 AM
now.....6600gt's are available now(AGP)
6800gt's are availabe now(PCI-E)

GlowStick
12-05-04, 12:13 PM
The peices are saposta be shiped with the mobo.

However I am hopeing some video card mfg's that care will also ship the one size fits all Ribon style incase the mobo one isnt good or you lose/break it.

kahloq
12-05-04, 11:32 PM
If your talking about the SLI connector....usually the motherboard maker is supposed to supply it. So contact your mobo maker to get one. Some AIB vendors will also be shipping them with their PCI-E cards. Email customer support for both.

Diamond_G
12-06-04, 12:52 AM
Um, somehow I don't think that was his question...

TheSmJ
12-06-04, 12:52 AM
The peices are saposta be shiped with the mobo.

However I am hopeing some video card mfg's that care will also ship the one size fits all Ribon style incase the mobo one isnt good or you lose/break it.

Wait a sec, do you mean mobo manufacs are shipping some sort of PCIE-to-AGP bridge so we could use our "legacy" AGP video cards on the new AMD64 mobos (which use chipsets that dont support AGP)? Thank frinking GOD!

55illinois
12-06-04, 12:55 AM
I'd say chances of that happening are about the same as oh... a snowball's chance in hell. Do you really think the board manufacturers (or NVIDIA, or ATI for that matter) would rather sell you a cheap AGP->PCIe converter or a much more expensive video card with your new motherboard? Cause I don't think they would...

Wait a sec, do you mean mobo manufacs are shipping some sort of PCIE-to-AGP bridge so we could use our "legacy" AGP video cards on the new AMD64 mobos (which use chipsets that dont support AGP)? Thank frinking GOD!http://hardocp.com/

TiTaNiUm
12-06-04, 07:49 AM
I did hear something awhile back that some MB makers were going to supply a Converter so you can use your AGP card in the Pci-E slot. But i also read that doing this will greatly shorten the life of your AGP card.

CaptNKILL
12-06-04, 08:01 AM
Ok, think about it. How the hell would an AGP card fit into an adapter but still line up with the back plates in a case. Its impossible :p

There were never any (public) plans for a converter because its impossible with current case\videocard\motherboard designs. Im sure itd be hell from a technical stand point too.

There are some people saying that some motherboards may have an AGP 1x slot (yes 1x) and a PCI-E but these will be few and far between if they are even made at all. So... other than that, no AGP card will ever work in system that has PCI-E ports. And sadly, it looks like newer chipsets are all going the PCI-E route. As much as I hate to say it (look at my video card), AGP is dieing a lot more quickly than I thought it would.

kahloq
12-06-04, 10:06 AM
An AGP to PCI-E bridge chip is on the PCB board of some nvidia cards. Its called an HSI bridge chip. This is not something you can buy, its part of the card itself. What that is, is a chip that allowed nvidia to use the same gfx chip designed for PCI-E to convert the data stream to talk through an AGP slot and vice versa. You cannot as and end user buy something to do this.

This article explains it:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040310/pcie-07.html