PDA

View Full Version : turning the pipes on disables the overclocking why!?

T-1000
12-05-04, 03:01 PM
i have a strange problem
i have a Chaintech AA6800 and i allready turnd on the extra pipes(12,5:16,6)
but when i do that and i try to overclock it tels me " the driver failed to pass the internel test with the clock freaquencies" why is that

Subtestube
12-05-04, 03:18 PM
Because the card isn't stable at that level of power with those enabled pipes. It could be
a) That the core voltage is too low. Be warned though, raising this is a big warranty no-no, and is non-trivial. Voltmodding can seriously damage your card in the long term.
b) That the card isn't getting a steady enough supply of power from the PSU. You might want to try another more powerful one if you have access to one, before you consider buying a new one.

You can disable the internal clock test through RT, but it's not recommended.

T-1000
12-05-04, 03:30 PM
i have a FARTRON 350W so i don't think it's the PSU

Dazz
12-05-04, 04:41 PM
I don't know 350w is pretty damn low.

Zetto
12-05-04, 05:09 PM
Watt rating does not matter but +12v Amp does. If it's 18, it's got to be enough. Anything less, I'd be looking for a new one

Mud
12-05-04, 06:26 PM
it's most likely subtestube's a), learn to live with it...i should probably update my sig; although my card's capable of 420/1200 with the extra pipelines enabled the clock test fails for a reason...and my card already runs at 1.4V. given the current CPU limitations just take the extra fillrate the softmod allows and be overjoyed is my advice.

bottom line: the card needs more voltage to run faster, the softmod takes your voltage headroom and increasing the voltage will drastically reduce your card's life...so decide how much expendable money you have before clocking.