PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia 2D quality?

Melhisedek
12-05-04, 03:07 PM
Hi mates!
Well I just started playing Planescape:Torment and everything is so blurry somehow. I wonder should I disable AA/AF when playing 2D games ? I remember playing BG on my GF2 and all the colours were crisp and everything was sharp but now it's pretty bad :/

This is on 6800GT and Win XP SP2. 67.02 drivers.

Thank you for your time!

jAkUp
12-05-04, 03:13 PM
Have you tried the official 66.93?

msxyz
12-05-04, 03:55 PM
Planetscape Torment works at a fixed resolution of 640x480, if I recall correctly. It was not until Baldur's gate 2 that Bioware enabled its Infinity engine to use other resolutions as well.

If you have a flat panel monitor the upsampling from such low resolutions is usually not very good, unlike analog CRTs that are able to support any resolution natively. If you still have a CRT, then it's a different matter...

Melhisedek
12-05-04, 04:15 PM
Well it turns out it was AA that was enabled and created blurry image :/ Problem fixed =P Thanks God for profile manager embeded in drivers !

ynnek
12-05-04, 05:34 PM
really? I just disabled AA and it looks the same to me.... I just picked up this game at Fry's for 5 bux... one of those games that i never got around playing..

640x480 is brutally pixaleted on my 19" monitor.. On a 17" monitor it looks better, simply cause the image is smaller..

superklye
12-05-04, 07:50 PM
PS:T is one of the greatest games ever made.

ynnek
12-05-04, 10:06 PM
Unfortunatnly, the graphics are primitive... the pixilated 2d sprites and "painted" background.. especially when they try to make it look 3d.. but its still painfully obvious that its just sprites ontop of a "painting".. I can't believe I was fine with this 5 years ago.. although I had a smaller monitor and was more used to look at pixilated images i guess.

btw, if I took two levs of thief, but then suddenly switched to a figher afterwards, am I essentially a lev 1 fighter? basically, do class and character levels match?

PS:T is one of the greatest games ever made.

Drax
12-06-04, 12:06 AM
The backgrounds are created from actual 3-D renders. Yeah they're 2-D now but everythig was fully 3-D at some point in it's creation even the characters.

PS:T is more of a mature game, you get the most out of it when you spend time exploring everything and doing a ton of reading in the process. For the best run through make a character with high wisdom, it's the most important stat in the game (I would make it at least 16 at character creation if not 18). A high wisdom give you a hefty XP bonus and garuntees that you get certain other huge XP bonuses that I wont mention. It also, along with INT helps unlock better conversation choices and helps you get out of bad situations. Leave your STR low and just putting a point into when you can, or as you find things that boost STR. You get to increase a stat 1 point every level, and so if you have a higher WIS you'll level more often, so it helps your other stats out as well. CON effects regen and you can heal insanely fast if you get it to at least 16 over the corse of the game.

For classes stick with either Fighter or Mage. And stick with it. There's two levels you hit where you get major stat increases depending on what class you are when you hit them. If your the same class when you hit the second level marker you get a bigger boost then if your a different class. I *think* the levels are 7 and 11. And it's calculated based on the total levels of all your classes so you only hit it each marker once. For example if your a 4'th level mage and you reach 3'rd level as a fighter (totaling 7 levels all together) you'll get the Fighter's bonus (STR and CON bonuses). Having gotten the normal Fighter bonus, you'll want to make sure your a fighter again when your levels total 11 so you can get the mega fighter bonus instead of the "normal" mage bonus.

Mage is definitly the more interesting of the two. I don't want to spoil anything, but fighter is a much easier way to get through the game.

Don't bother with thief you wont need the skills. Again I don't want to spoil anything.

Melhisedek
12-06-04, 07:45 AM
Drax my mate... I can't express how thankful I am that you choose not to spoil anything!
The other day I had MGS3 spoiled for me and a few others by some jerk that didn't inlude Spoiler anywhere in his post. How sad... I just stoped playing after that, game is really, really spoiled now :(

So I did one thing that I planned to do for months now... Stock on with CRPGs that I missed through the years =)

Planescape, BG2+exp, Arcanum, Anachronox, IWD 1+xp and 2nd as well and I bought Vampire:Bloodlines as well =)
So I started with Planescape... Man what a game it is !!! Thanks to some guy at GameFaqs I created my char with 18Wis and 15Int so I'm cool from that pow =P

Anyway I'm in love with this game so far (not that far but still) it succeded in capturing me and no game has done that since FF7 and KOTOR after it (man I'm old).

So if you or anybody else have any CRPGS that you can think of that any player should experience before he/she dies please let me know =)

Thank you for your time!

P.S. I played: BG1, KOTOR, NWN+expansions, Gothic2, Morrowind (Sadly I didn't like this one much, everything was so dead somehow :/ and open-ended is somehow not my cup of tea)

Drax
12-06-04, 11:21 AM
Yeah Morrowind just doesn't do it for me either. I'm much more of a BG type fan. And yeah PS:T is the best AD&D CPRPG so take your time and enjoy. It's great all the way to the final moments.

ynnek
12-06-04, 03:04 PM
Well, if you like PS:T, you'll also like Fallout 1 and 2..

Another old personal fav was Ultima 7... I didn't like the combat system though.. and the graphics will look really blocky these days.. although I thinks someone made a windows port for it..

Drax
12-06-04, 03:57 PM
Hehe my first real computer (non-Atari 2600) game was Ultima 2 on my Atari 800. I have all of the Ultimas in their original boxes with cloth maps, etc.

Nothing will beat Alternate Reality: The City and The Dungeon on my Atari 800.