PDA

View Full Version : Was your 6x00 dead when you first used it?

Salamandar
12-05-04, 09:12 PM
So you got your Geforce 6x00, you opened the box, stick it in your mobo and turn the PC on................................................ .

EciDemon
12-05-04, 09:35 PM
It worked, though I thoght it was bad as I got bsod in every game/demo I tried

But it turned out to be the second stick of ram I added at the same time not being compatible with the old one ... though it should have been ....

jAkUp
12-05-04, 09:37 PM
mine worked fine

Daneel Olivaw
12-05-04, 09:41 PM
So you got your Geforce 6x00, you opened the box, stick it in your mobo and turn the PC on................................................ .and woke up.

Salamandar
12-05-04, 09:42 PM
and woke up.

LOL (xmasgrin)

saturnotaku
12-05-04, 10:09 PM
So you got your Geforce 6x00, you opened the box, stick it in your mobo and turn the PC on................................................ .

And watch my system boot normally, install the drivers like I always do, reboot, set my refresh rates, configure my FSAA/AF preferences for each game I have installed, fire up the game of my choice and watch the splendor. Throw in a dash of overclocking and I'm good to go.

einstein_314
12-05-04, 10:13 PM

and it worked beautifully. Havn't had a single problem with it.

kahloq
12-05-04, 10:30 PM
and it worked beautifully. Havn't had a single problem with it.

Same here

Auswak
12-05-04, 10:45 PM
Fired up perfectly for 5 different 6800 Series cards tested and used to date.

(xmasgrin)

Diamond_G
12-05-04, 11:51 PM
And watch my system boot normally, install the drivers like I always do, reboot, set my refresh rates, configure my FSAA/AF preferences for each game I have installed, fire up the game of my choice and watch the splendor. Throw in a dash of overclocking and I'm good to go.

agrees with above!

(xmasgrin)

r2d2d3d4d5
12-06-04, 05:44 AM
....had flashing characters during the BIOS boot sequence and strange green lines when MSWindows loaded. Computer would halt when MSWindows would try to install drivers. After spending a week or two troubleshooting it (including getting support from here, the manufacturer's forum, emailing the manufacturer, buying a new PSU and transporting it several miles so I could try it on someone else’s computer) I RMAed it. New card was plug and enjoy....

Why the question?

Lfctony
12-06-04, 05:59 AM
Mine was working but had a faulty bios on it. It was working fine 2 weeks after purchase though, but I can't overclock one bit without having the 10-sec pauses so I leave it at stock.

hazindu
12-06-04, 07:38 AM
my first one(bfg 6800gt) was doa

Salamandar
12-06-04, 07:41 AM
....had flashing characters during the BIOS boot sequence and strange green lines when MSWindows loaded. Computer would halt when MSWindows would try to install drivers. After spending a week or two troubleshooting it (including getting support from here, the manufacturer's forum, emailing the manufacturer, buying a new PSU and transporting it several miles so I could try it on someone else’s computer) I RMAed it. New card was plug and enjoy....

Why the question?

Because I'm seeing and reading too much DOA cards from the latest Nvidia series and to be honest with you, I'm buying one from the U.S.A but I live in the midle east.
Let's just say I'm a little paniced !

(xmassign)

Scott@Bjorn3D
12-06-04, 07:53 AM
I had one bad one out of the 9 we have. RAM'd it and the second one worked fine.

r2d2d3d4d5
12-06-04, 09:55 AM
Because I'm seeing and reading too much DOA cards from the latest Nvidia series and to be honest with you, I'm buying one from the U.S.A but I live in the midle east.
Let's just say I'm a little paniced !

(xmassign)

Ah. I think a few manufacturers had problems on a few of their cards when they first came out but those problems seem to be less common. Saying that even if you get the retailer to test the card before they sent it out there's just no 100% guarantee that any card you buy (from any manufacturer) will work by the time it gets to you. IMO it's best to buy from somewhere that you know you can RMA the card to relatively easily.

(xmassign)

Marcos
12-06-04, 10:31 AM
no problems here with my PNY

Zielm
12-08-04, 10:45 AM
Heh...im the father of the DoA 6800's...Im expecting a 4th (yes 4!) card. All of them have had the screen corruption issues from the start.

For this RMA I asked the card to be wrapped on anti static paper, cuz all im thinking is somehow the card is getting messed up during shipping. Specially if it's going overseas (maybe they put the box thru X-rays or someother crappy "detecting" machines, geez!)

MSI Neo2 Plat, Bios 1.3
AMD64 3500+ 0.13nm (non OC)
1GB Corsair Twinx XL (2-2-2-5 stock)
74GB WD Raptor @10k rpm
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Geforce 2 GTS 32MB (Till my RMA Geforce 6800 card finally works!!)
Plextor DVD-R 712A
Antec True 550 (+3.3@ 32A, +5@ 40A, +12@ 32A)

Joe Public
12-08-04, 11:02 AM
Mine's been working fine from the get-go. Had it for about a month.

nIghtorius
12-08-04, 11:28 AM
Mine worked fine and OK.. but it has made me worry.. I don't know that this normal behaivor of a 6800 series..

I am running a dual CRT-setup. So I uninstalled my Rad9800Pro drivers, uninstalled the Radeon 9800 card, installed the 6800GT.. pressed the power button.. system became alive again.. displaying bios information. memory checks, usb checks, etc..

WindowsXP loading screen appeared.. So far so good :).. then when the desktop appeared one screen was good (the primary) while the other one was al weavy (looked terrible).. this made me quite uneasy ofcourse.. but.. it was running right?..

I downloaded the latest WHQL drivers from nvidia.. 66.93 installed them.. rebooted my machine.. and to my relief the second screen was normal.. not weavy anymore..

it scared me though.

Salamandar
12-08-04, 04:09 PM
Heh...im the father of the DoA 6800's...Im expecting a 4th (yes 4!) card. All of them have had the screen corruption issues from the start.

For this RMA I asked the card to be wrapped on anti static paper, cuz all im thinking is somehow the card is getting messed up during shipping. Specially if it's going overseas (maybe they put the box thru X-rays or someother crappy "detecting" machines, geez!)

MSI Neo2 Plat, Bios 1.3
AMD64 3500+ 0.13nm (non OC)
1GB Corsair Twinx XL (2-2-2-5 stock)
74GB WD Raptor @10k rpm
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Geforce 2 GTS 32MB (Till my RMA Geforce 6800 card finally works!!)
Plextor DVD-R 712A
Antec True 550 (+3.3@ 32A, +5@ 40A, +12@ 32A)

May I ask what brand ?

smthmlk
12-08-04, 07:11 PM

identical experience, down to every detail.... wow, at least i wasnt the only one. mine was a bfg 6800NU oc. got another (same model) and it worked just fine and has been for a little while now.