PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling a GF6800gt

maxima420
12-05-04, 10:05 PM
Hey guys i was wondering if you know of a block that cools a gf6800gt. i also need it to cool the memory optimally.

i found this: http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cooling/Kingwin_Arctic_Water_Cooling_Kit/index.htm

looks good for my cpu but if i used this on the 6800 my memory wouldn't get cooled at all. i doubt ram sinks would be enough...enough though i have 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans...

what do you guys think?

bobmanfoo
12-05-04, 10:17 PM
dangerden or innovatek

Achilles17
12-05-04, 10:24 PM
get the silverprop fusion HL. I have it, and its great. All copper/brass, so no corrosion, and top of the line preformance. Only downside is that it doesnt cool your RAM, but considering how much heat and flow retriction that adds to the loop, Im glad that it doesnt, it would just hurt you. If you are insistant on cooling the RAM, get the DD NV68, but its really not necessary, so get the Fusion HL. you can either get it at www.criticool.com or at www.silverprop.com. It ships from australia though, but it got here very fast (I live in NYC). Less than a week delivery time, I was amazed!

maxima420
12-05-04, 10:49 PM
so if i pick up this kit( http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cooling/Kingwin_Arctic_Water_Cooling_Kit/index.htm ) would it cool my cpu and gpu enough if i used a DDNV69 block?

i have a 2.8 p4 w/hyperthreading and i'm looking to overclock to around 3.4-3.6(i'd rather 3.6) i was hoping to get the 6800gt to 450-475core(with no volt mod) and push the memory as far as i could get it.

i'v done a little overclocking in the pass but never with water. also i'v been out of the computer gig for a while so if i seem ignorant forgive me.

if anyone can suggest a better solution to get the results i'm looking for please let me know.

thank in advance,
from a guy who wants a fast computer

Zetto
12-06-04, 01:08 AM
The kingwin kit is a joke of a watercooling setup. It *might* be able to cool ur cpu but a cheaper air HSF will do it just as good and will be better for oc'ing. Forget about adding a hot GPU to the loop, it wont handle it.

ricercar
12-06-04, 12:51 PM
http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=165

subbo
12-06-04, 04:06 PM
My vote goes for the innovatek. Solid product, also cools the voltage regulators, which might be a tad overkill. The ledless block is good value for money, especially compared to that koolance block above that looks flimsy and prone to leak.

mustrum
12-06-04, 06:15 PM
There's a new cooler out there now. It's btter than the innovatek and aquagrafx since it's all copper. Can't compare it to the DD but that one is not available here anyways.
This is it:
http://www.alphacool.de/perl/news.pl

Allready ordered me one. I was SOOO close to buy that innovatek alu-copper mixture. Glad i didn't.
The alphacool cooler is only 600 gramms wich is acceptable IMO.

Zetto
12-06-04, 07:22 PM
Looks like it very restrictive... Unless u setup a dedicated GPU loop, u'll kill waterflow me thinks ;) 1/4" barbs (? didn't see what kind of connectors it has) are way too small IMHO

maxima420
12-06-04, 10:06 PM
so much for overclocking cheaply.

ok guys in my garage i have a hayden 403 tranmission cooler...

Every Hayden cooler is pressure tested to 300 PSI. Specially designed turbulators in every tube improve heat transfer up to 3 times more than bare tube coolers
#403 Medium duty driving, Mid, full size cars, pick-ups & light towing
GVW up to 18,000 lbs.
7 1/2 x 12 1/2 x 3/4

say i use one of these with...uhhh 3-4 fans attached to it...think that would be enough to cool a Cpu and GPU?

maybe i'll just build most of this from stuff i have around...now what to use as a water pump...

mustrum
12-07-04, 03:52 AM
1/4's are the biggest we use here in europe. Not restricting at all.
I took it over the DD becaue it cools the voltage converters wich the DD doesn't i think.
Bigger waterflow = lower temps is a myth!
If that would be true the europeans would have sucky OC's compared to the americans with their huge tubing.
It's 2 different ways to do watercooling and both work.
(The CPU coolers we use here would restrict just the same with bigger tubings and bigger pumps just because of the way they work.)

For the euros: Nothing beats Eheim. Everything else is louder, more vibrating and not lasting for 10 years like my last eheim pump i had in use.
For those large tubed US cooling systems you need more power though i guess.

JoKeRr
12-08-04, 05:02 PM
it's harder to find 1/4 fitting for CPU block in North America, like DD and most other co. doesn't make 1/4 fitting, only 3/8 and 1/2. So if we choose to use the Innovatek 6800 block, there'll prob. be a lot of those plastic converters. Unless we can somehow connect 3/8 inch tube to the block directly.

Imagine 2 of those cooling 2 6800Ultras in a SLI setup. anyway, i'm still way too poor to get wet.

mustrum
12-09-04, 03:22 AM
it's harder to find 1/4 fitting for CPU block in North America, like DD and most other co. doesn't make 1/4 fitting, only 3/8 and 1/2. So if we choose to use the Innovatek 6800 block, there'll prob. be a lot of those plastic converters. Unless we can somehow connect 3/8 inch tube to the block directly.

Imagine 2 of those cooling 2 6800Ultras in a SLI setup. anyway, i'm still way too poor to get wet.
Yeah those are euro blocks. Forget the Innova btw. It's a aluminium Copper mix. Not cooling well and probably the worst combo one can have.
Alu and copper in one system is ok with anti-corrosion fluid but alu and copper in the same cooler is just a NONO.
The NexXxos one that will ship next week looks promising though. It's like the DD block but it cools the power converters too (DD doesn't right?).
It wont fit well into american systems most likely though since american CPU blocks work best with high waterflow.

I'll report temps on my Leadtek 6800U as soon i get the NexXxos.