PDA

View Full Version : Im in awe

FastM
12-06-04, 12:32 PM
I just built a new computer for my uncle...

A64 3200+ (0.09) S939 2000mhz 512 cache
Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 (little expensive but nice)
2x512meg Generic C2.5 memory
His 9800Pro 128meg from his old Dell

Anyway, after finishing all the software setup on his system i was working on something else in my room when i noticed the CPU fan had shut off while the system was just doing nothing in windows... I touched the heatsink and to no suprise it was barely warm..

So for fun i fired up Prime95's torture (the one that does maximum heat output) and watch the CPU fan, it took about 2min for the fan to turn back on which is pretty impressive... But this is where is gets scary, 5-6 minutes later the CPU fan TURNED OFF WHILE PRIME WAS GOING!!!!!!!!!

A stock pure Aluminum heat sink with the stock fan was enough to cool this processor enough at 100% load that it could turn itself off during Prime95, this fan obviously turned back on a minute or 2 later and repeated the same thing 5-6 minutes later.

Talk about an effiecient processor....

|JuiceZ|
12-06-04, 12:48 PM
Pimp! What were the temps?

Bill The Cat
12-06-04, 03:23 PM
Remember that thermal diodes are notoriously inaccurate. It could be a poorly place diode causing bad (low) temp readings, causing the fan to turn off. It could easily just be a kick-ass heat sink too, of course, but I'd check it out in case it turns out to be the former and fries your CPU.

FastM
12-06-04, 03:51 PM
Remember that thermal diodes are notoriously inaccurate. It could be a poorly place diode causing bad (low) temp readings, causing the fan to turn off. It could easily just be a kick-ass heat sink too, of course, but I'd check it out in case it turns out to be the former and fries your CPU.

I have already tested A64 myself by unplugging the cpu fan and they shut down automaticly way before doing damage, im not worried about that.

As for temps, i didn't have a in windows monitor but after running prime for an hour i got into the bios as quickly as i could and it said 40c

Daneel Olivaw
12-06-04, 04:37 PM
The A64 is a cool sob. I remember comparing a P4 laptop and a A64 for a client... the noise and the heat were from two different worlds.