PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having second thoughts?

Pages : [1] 2

demonized
11-18-02, 07:07 PM
Anyone else that are planning to skip NV30 having second thoughts if they really should? Im one of them and its all because of this amazing specs and cool demos.

Smokey
11-18-02, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by demonized
Anyone else that are planning to skip NV30 having second thoughts if they really should? Im one of them and its all because of this amazing specs and cool demos.

I skipped the GF4 to get one of these babys :D Im asking my folks to get it for me as a combined Christmas and birthday present as my birthday is the 2nd of March :p fingers crossed!

demonized
11-18-02, 08:04 PM
Eversince i got a job my parents didint wanna do that for me anymore. Now i have to pay for my own stuff.:(
Its to hard to make a deal with them:)

LORD-eX-Bu
11-18-02, 08:29 PM
I'm gonna buy this card.:D

71skylark
11-18-02, 08:53 PM
Something has to replace the current radeon 7500!!!!!

StealthHawk
11-18-02, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by [eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu
I'm gonna buy this card.:D

i thought you switched over the the dark si...i mean ATI :p

welcome back to the fold ;)

LORD-eX-Bu
11-18-02, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
i thought you switched over the the dark si...i mean ATI :p

welcome back to the fold ;)

Not just yet. I am still buying 9700 Pro. :D

Smokey
11-19-02, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by demonized
Eversince i got a job my parents didint wanna do that for me anymore. Now i have to pay for my own stuff.:(
Its to hard to make a deal with them:)

I havent been in the same country as mine for over 6years, and they have the money ;) I still have to beg though :rolleyes:

PreservedSwine
11-19-02, 09:06 AM
Yes, I was thinking the NV30 was going to be the schniznit.

But when Nvidia can only release a damn slide show of graphs during their much anticipated NV30 official anouncement "...."This was a preview so we weren't allowed to run anything on the cards that were present, however a number of slides were shown by NVIDIA that had performance figures which compared the Geforce FX against a Ti4600. Sadly (and maybe unsurprisingly) they didn't include a Radeon 9700 PRO in their article " Hmmmm, I wonder why?

Is the Ti4600 supposed to be the competition for the NV30?:rolleyes:

Not to mention, it's still over 2 more months, probably closer to 3 months, before you can even buy one of these cards....

thcdru2k
11-19-02, 09:11 AM
at comdex it wasn't just slideshows, they had oem machines running unreal benchies, and the demos where all up for people to play with and will still be up for the next couple days. but yeah..2-3 months thats pretty long time. if they did include r9700 benches it would be biased of course..prolly wouldn't give a rats ass about optimizing the scores, so its best to make or find your own r9700 scores and than compare.

pastor
11-19-02, 09:29 AM
for now my workstation fill my needs (dualXP1700+GF3ti500+15Gbram)
I think i'm gonna wait for dual Hammer like 4600+ then i will buy what is up to date at this moment so NV35 i guess :confused:

ReDeeMeR
11-19-02, 11:02 AM
I'm gonna get better cpu and mobo and then proly Tyan radeon9700 or whatever other company will come up with good cooling solution and good o/c'ability, I hope Ati improves on the drivers stability and preformance tho.

AngelGraves13
11-19-02, 12:42 PM
why do people buy ATI and then say I'm waiting for them to improve this and improve that.....buy Nvidia and you won't have to worry about that.....

saturnotaku
11-19-02, 12:43 PM
I went in the opposite direction. I was most likely going to purchase an NV30 right away. But after reading the specs, I'm not quite as impressed as I thought I'd be. I think I'll be waiting for the NV35 or whatever the product is that will be the refresh.

If I still had my GeForce3, I'd probably be getting an NV30 but since I have a Ti4600 I'm not feeling especially compelled to upgrade right now.

why do people buy ATI and then say I'm waiting for them to improve this and improve that.....buy Nvidia and you won't have to worry about that....

My guess? For spite. NVIDIA has been in front for so long people, people want to give the "underdog" a chance. It may not be as high quality a product as the main player, but a lot of folks are plenty willing to take a chance on it. I've fallen into that trap myself and don't intend to do so again.

Megatron
11-19-02, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
It may not be as high quality a product as the main player, but a lot of folks are plenty willing to take a chance on it. I've fallen into that trap myself and don't intend to do so again.

Not as high quality a product as the main player?
Please define quality, and how manufacturers using an Nvidia GPU offer better quality?

Megatron
11-19-02, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by 99 to Life
why do people buy ATI and then say I'm waiting for them to improve this and improve that.....buy Nvidia and you won't have to worry about that.....

Because alot of people read ATI tech support boards and figure if Joe user has an issue on his system..then surely it affects all systems.
Myself I have used many ATI boards, and either im incredibly lucky (which i can assure you Im not hehe), or maybe the problems arent as big as people make them out to be.

Any one can have problems with any piece of hardware, or software on a given system.

AngelGraves13
11-19-02, 02:39 PM
every ATI card I've owned had a problem with something. Nvidia cards.....I've owned 3....no problems with any of them. Explain that one!

styles-T
11-19-02, 02:54 PM
Well the only reason I'm atually considering skipping the NV30 and getting a 9700 is cause its alot cheaper..

Hopefully when Nvidia releases the NV30 the price of a 9700 will drop..for competitive purposes..

I cant afford a 400$ - $500 graphics card..

But we will just have to wait and see what happens when it comes to prices..

Nv30 is well worth it..its just going to put a big hole in my pocket..

Megatron
11-19-02, 02:56 PM
every ATI card I've owned had a problem with something. Nvidia cards.....I've owned 3....no problems with any of them. Explain that one!

I cant explain it other than to say Ive not had any problems with any of my ATI cards.

Didnt try to imply that nvidia cards inherently have problems, as Ive had success with them too.

I just think alot of problems reported on ATI cards may or may not be the card or drivers at all.

AngelGraves13
11-19-02, 02:57 PM
tell that to 3 other friends I have who had ATI cards. I told 'em to get a Geforce 3 and they're all real happy now.

saturnotaku
11-19-02, 02:59 PM
Quality product to me is something that goes beyond the hardware itself. It's like buying a car - the "hardware" may be good but if there isn't solid sales and service support during and after the purchase, IMO it's not worth buying.

There isn't anything fundamentally "wrong" with ATI's hardware, but the software support is still lacking. I personally can't live with "It's getting there." It's supposed to have been "getting there" since Fall 2001 and has been virtually non-existent before then.

I believe I've been more than fair to ATI as I've tried their two most recent products (8500 and 9700 Pro). While they were both fast cards in comparison to the NVIDIA products I've had (GeForce3 and 4 Ti respectively), several of my games couldn't be run without some kind of graphical error.

All my NVIDIA cards have given me excellent performance, stability and quality. They can run every game I own without glitches and I can even get complete 3D support for Linux and/or FreeBSD. That's the higher quality about which I speak.

Naturally, your mileage will vary. :)

volt
11-19-02, 03:13 PM
Definetly buying it. Probably Gainward just like my Ti, even if the price is going to be through the roof :D

Megatron
11-19-02, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Quality product to me ......

Ahhh I see...Interperitive quality.

:D

Megatron
11-19-02, 03:38 PM
tell that to 3 other friends I have who had ATI cards. I told 'em to get a Geforce 3 and they're all real happy now.

Sounds like either really really bad luck or a fish story. i dont know you so Ill give you the benefit of very very bad luck.:)

saturnotaku
11-19-02, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Megatron
Ahhh I see...Interperitive quality.

Is that anything like interpretive dance? Cause I was virtually traumatized by a (to put it kindly) heavy-set female doing an interpretive dance to a song played during a wedding. Unlike Homer Simpson, her jiggling was far from hypnotic. :eek:

/me shudders