PDA

View Full Version : Xbox2 (Next) and PS3 Screenshots?

Clay
12-06-04, 09:42 PM
http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=33225&subsectionid=1584

http://www.nvnews.net/temp/clay/ea1.jpg

http://www.nvnews.net/temp/clay/ea2.jpg

MUYA
12-06-04, 09:43 PM
Pre-rendered ;)

wickfut
12-06-04, 09:48 PM
as soon as i find out for def. they are , my pre order will be put down :)

|MaguS|
12-06-04, 09:51 PM
While I do believe games will look that good in acouple years, I don't think the next consoles will be able to accomplish it, they will be close though.

Clay
12-06-04, 09:52 PM
Pre-rendered ;)
You get teh cookeh!!! :D
So long as you ignore that fact that Jensen hasn't said which next-gen console they come from and you don't start to wonder why they look so much like a cutscene from any current console version of Madden or Need For Speed.

msxyz
12-07-04, 02:35 AM
The first screen might be indeed a real time render but the second looks like a frame form a video clip

superklye
12-07-04, 02:38 AM
Jeomk

nVidi0t
12-07-04, 06:51 AM
Next Gen Consoles Will Own Pcz Azz!!!11

msxyz
12-07-04, 06:59 AM
Next Gen Consoles Will Own Pcz Azz!!!11Hardly. people said the same about the PS2 graphic processor. It turned out to have the same capabilities of a Voodoo 1 with better fillrate and some embedded dram.

Console games are usualy better/more polished than PC games only because programmers have direct access to the hardware and they don't have to take into account a hundred thousands different configurations that might geenrate problems.

Even if consoles are sold undercost (the HW cost is usually compensated by the license fees imposed on titles) thay are still cheap-ass machines which use mainstream technology.

Edge
12-07-04, 08:19 AM
Even if consoles are sold undercost (the HW cost is usually compensated by the license fees imposed on titles) thay are still cheap-ass machines which use mainstream technology.

Umm, huh? Rarely are consoles just cut-and-paste machines, they're almost always designed from the ground up (even the Xbox, although it retains much of it's PC origins, is heavilly modified and very different from a standard PC). They're anything BUT cheap-ass, efficient would be a better word.

Anyway, I think it's qutie possible that the second screen is a "real-time" picture (although since the technology isn't finalised yet it probably isn't running on an actual Xbox2/PS3 machine). It certainly seems to be within the bounds of what we'll see in the next generation of consoles. Look at the jump from PS1 to PS2 (especially the Madden games), it's easy to envision that the PS3 will have graphics that substantially improved, especially since it's using a video cards that's one generation above what we have now (and even current technology could run Unreal Engine 3). I do wonder how we're going to do better than that though...I mean...once you reach near-photo-realism as a standard, where is there to go?

circuitbreaker8
12-07-04, 01:34 PM
You never know....XB2 is supposed to have something better than the R420, and look how good that looks. Im probably gonna be getting XB2 first, then PS3.

Vash
12-07-04, 02:21 PM
What consoles I purchase in the next iteration depend 100% on what games come out for them. I'm inclined toward the Xbox 2 and the Nintendo system, but if the PS3 can put out more games that draw my interest, then they'll get my money as well.

Whether or not I buy it, the PS3 is going to be interesting to watch, from a technology point of view. Nvidia + what I've heard about the Core processor = buttery goodness.

Toss3
12-07-04, 02:33 PM
What consoles I purchase in the next iteration depend 100% on what games come out for them. I'm inclined toward the Xbox 2 and the Nintendo system, but if the PS3 can put out more games that draw my interest, then they'll get my money as well.

Whether or not I buy it, the PS3 is going to be interesting to watch, from a technology point of view. Nvidia + what I've heard about the Core processor = buttery goodness.

Couldn't agree with u more ;) nvidia+sony=<3 for us game freaks :D

JD-Scorpion
12-07-04, 02:51 PM
Forgive me if this is "OFN"

WarDevil Trailer (http://www.nwsgaming.com/redir.php?r=464)

It seems this info was released a few day's ago, Im always late with news :bleh:

Source: Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57329)
Digi-Guys, a hitherto unsighted games developer based at Pinewood Studios here in the UK, has released a short and breathtaking teaser trailer for its next-generation game WarDevil: Unleash the Beast Within, believed to be on its way to Xbox 2 before the end of 2005.

The trailer is available in various sizes (biggest: 15.6MB) from the official WarDevil website here, and although it's impossible to judge whether it's running in real-time on actual console hardware or not, it's nevertheless an impressive glimpse of what developers are confident next-gen tech will be able to do.

"Designed as both a short movie and a videogame," according to Digi-Guys' website, WarDevil has been in development for "over 15 months" and aims to stand tall among its next-gen neighbours thanks to glorious 3D visuals and a filmic narrative, which pitches the player into the role of a "WarDevil" in a near-future world "ruled by the iron fist of the Chun Federation", where you must discover how to quell "the Beast Within".

The website also hosts a huge amount of concept artwork and screenshots of the game showcasing some of the levels the developer is planning. We've also mirrored the screenshots on Eurogamer here so you can escape WarDevil.com's Flash-based viewer.

Although billed as a "next-generation 3D title" in most of the on-site literature, tellingly the developer mentions Xbox development tools on the recruitment pages of the side, and as a result it's been widely linked to Xbox 2. That would also tie in with predictions that the Microsoft console will launch in late 2005; neither Nintendo's Revolution or Sony's PlayStation 3 are expected until mid-2006 at the earliest, and Digi-Guys is aiming to have WarDevil on store shelves before the end of next year.

That said, there's no solid confirmation WarDevil won't appear on other formats. Hopefully we'll hear more in the coming days and weeks as the website is updated with more information and media.

Probing further, Digi-Guys is also preparing to start work on full-length CG motion picture and game projects, according to its corporate web presence, with work on both taking place under the same roof at Pinewood Studios in the UK - and set to commence in early 2005.

We'll bring you much more on WarDevil as soon as we get it.

Geordan
12-07-04, 05:56 PM
I do wonder how we're going to do better than that though...I mean...once you reach near-photo-realism as a standard, where is there to go?

What about physics or the physical properties of objects within a game world? we still have a looooong ways to go before worlds are made of substances, instead of simple polygons.

-Geordan

Arioch
12-07-04, 06:24 PM
Reviewing past history shows that consoles generally have better graphics as a whole over a PC for about a year or so after they come out. After that newer PC hardware is capable of rendering superior graphic images.

This cycle then repeats itself when the next generation consoles come out.

circuitbreaker8
12-07-04, 06:39 PM
Yeah, but these consoles should be able to do 1080i pretty easily :D I think Xbox Next and PS3 will really put an end to good games coming to PC. Think about it...with these next gen consoles, HD support will be included in almost every game, along with digital sound. Graphics will be ahead of the competition ( R500, newest instalment from nV ), and how easy and fun online gaming is. So, in a developers POV, why invest money into making a game that wont sell half as much and will probably get hacked/downloaded when they could just make it for these next gen consoles.

Arioch
12-07-04, 06:52 PM
Yeah, but these consoles should be able to do 1080i pretty easily :D I think Xbox Next and PS3 will really put an end to good games coming to PC. Think about it...with these next gen consoles, HD support will be included in almost every game, along with digital sound. Graphics will be ahead of the competition ( R500, newest instalment from nV ), and how easy and fun online gaming is. So, in a developers POV, why invest money into making a game that wont sell half as much and will probably get hacked/downloaded when they could just make it for these next gen consoles.

As someone with a Xbox and 2 HDTV-capable televisions I would love to see more 1080i and 720p games but something tells me there won't be as many as we would like. Despite the push of HD technology the vast majority of people still game on an old 480i CRT television and most developers will design their games with that in mind. When you are pushing the edge with 480p games the hardware will have trouble with the increased amount of processing needed to run the same game at 720p or 1080i.

nVestor
12-07-04, 07:22 PM
Kinda disappointing that a selection between formats couldn't be implemented much like we already have now with 5.1 dolby surround sound audio and mono. I mean to say, if the hardware is design to really push 1080i, shouldn't the lesser resolutions be no sweat?

I would hope this would be a consideration. It's kinda like punishing those who bought/buy the HDTV units and subscribe to HDTV cable channels ya know?

With the FCC pushing to move towards digital, I don't think not implementing something to that affect would be very smart on the console markets part.

Just doesn't make any sense... (mikec)

Edge
12-07-04, 07:35 PM
As someone with a Xbox and 2 HDTV-capable televisions I would love to see more 1080i and 720p games but something tells me there won't be as many as we would like. Despite the push of HD technology the vast majority of people still game on an old 480i CRT television and most developers will design their games with that in mind. When you are pushing the edge with 480p games the hardware will have trouble with the increased amount of processing needed to run the same game at 720p or 1080i.
Actually I heard that Microsoft was going to try and make HDTV resolutions (i.e. at least 720p) a standard for Xbox 2 games. Hopefully Sony and Nintendo will do the same, now that HDTVs are taking off, and especially since analog TV transmitions will be cut off in the next few years, it only makes sense to base your console around the soon-to-be-standard with the option of falling back to lower resolution analog TVs. If they do set it up like that, hopefully 4xAA/lvl16aniso will automatically be enabled on an analog TV or at 480p, since it would have all that extra processing power anyway.

What about physics or the physical properties of objects within a game world? we still have a looooong ways to go before worlds are made of substances, instead of simple polygons.
That's a possibility, however something like that is still a ways off. Definatly at least a few console generations away, I'm talking more in the short term like what are games going to be like at the END of the next generation of console's lives. I think the only thing I can think of is that they might add true radiosity to these games later on (which will make them even MORE realistic), but otherwise there isn't much more they can do. More advanced physics will of course come into play (such as the next generation Havok and Meqon engines, I'd assume), but not the major leap we saw in physics when Havok was released. Would be very cool if a geo-mod type system became more prevelent in games, that could just open up a world of opertunity.

Vash
12-07-04, 07:57 PM

PC gaming has survived in much bleaker environments than the one you described. I think that it will continue. It might enjoy a little lower profile, but I don't think it'll disappear completely (I hope!).

Arioch
12-07-04, 09:19 PM
I could live with playing next-generation console games in 480p only if it was using a solid form of FSAA at maybe 4x level.

Ninja Prime
12-07-04, 10:48 PM
I could live with playing next-generation console games in 480p only if it was using a solid form of FSAA at maybe 4x level.

I'm pretty sure that would be pitifully simple on all of the next gen consoles. I wouldn't doubt them using 6x FSAA in 480p and 4x FSAA in 720p and 2x in 1080i (or 1080p when it shows up).