PDA

View Full Version : Is Half-Life 2 less of a system hog than Doom 3?

Kain
12-07-04, 04:25 AM
How do you think it will play on my laptop?

msxyz
12-07-04, 07:51 AM
I've never seen Doom3 stuttering or swapping heavily on my system. Half Life 2 may be less CPU/GPU dependant but it takes forever to load (every couple of minute or so of gameplay btw), texture / sound caching is bad (stuttering issues) and it eats up memory like nothing else I've seen so far.

Don't fear, though: your system will play HL2 "nicely", even if nicely is a relative term.

Many people are complaining about Vampire the Masquerade, too. It seems that the only thing in common these two games have is the engine, which sucks. A couple of good shaders thrown every once in a while don't save the day. Valve, instead of spending so much time on coding, should have purchased the Unreal Engine and make their own tweaks/additions. Probably it would have been a much better/stable base both for HL2 and for CS.

Riptide
12-07-04, 08:32 AM
UT2004 uses more memory than HL2.

Superfly
12-07-04, 08:44 AM
Doom3 > HL2

jbirney
12-07-04, 08:53 AM
Kain,
HL2 usally offers a higher framerate setting than Doom3. You should be able to run it just fine on your laptop (except for the bugs like its stutter).

BioHazZarD
12-07-04, 10:00 AM
The level coding in HL2 sucks ass. i mean you get to a certain new area and it can load up to 30sec for me.. .very annoying.. Doom3 is perfect. 1 load on the level and thats it the way it should be.

superklye
12-07-04, 02:34 PM
it takes forever to load (every couple of minute or so of gameplay btw)

People, PLEASE. It's not like you walk 10 steps and the game loads. There are more than "a couple minutes" between each load time and bitter overexaggerating is getting annoying.

msxyz
12-07-04, 04:04 PM
Maybe I'm "bit overexaggerating" (though in many situations I happened to enter a new area every couple of minutes or so) but the whole impression I got from this game is that it's a real system hog. Not CPU or GPU wise but it taxes the whole system.

I recall one preview of the game a couple of months ago that stated "2 gig of RAM would help" At the time I just though that the reviewer was gone nuts, now I realize it was written out of desperation because the continuous stuttering, pauses and loads really ruined a lot the gaming experience.

Just IMHO :)

anzak
12-07-04, 04:44 PM
The level coding in HL2 sucks ass. i mean you get to a certain new area and it can load up to 30sec for me.. .very annoying.. Doom3 is perfect. 1 load on the level and thats it the way it should be.

But what is it loading? The same ****ing hallways you have been walking through the whole ****ing game.

Sorry about that, im just tired and my lungs hurt from running 3 miles in below freezing weather ATM.

Half-Life 2 should run awesome on your system. My friend has an Athlon 1.4, 512mb of memory, and a Radeon 9600 (non pro) and 1024x768 w/8xAF is not a problem (40-60fps in many areas). The game does stutter a little once and a while, but the overall experence is much better than what you would get with Doom 3 at 20fps.

einstein_314
12-07-04, 11:35 PM
People, PLEASE. It's not like you walk 10 steps and the game loads. There are more than "a couple minutes" between each load time and bitter overexaggerating is getting annoying.

What he said.

saturnotaku
12-07-04, 11:39 PM
Christ almighty, people bitch when they claim there's no games out there that can challenge a high-end rig and they bitch about a game that does take advantage of top hardware saying it's too much of a system hog.

You can't have it both ways!

Buck Armstrong
12-08-04, 12:09 AM
Christ almighty, people bitch when they claim there's no games out there that can challenge a high-end rig and they bitch about a game that does take advantage of top hardware saying it's too much of a system hog.

Great point. (xmasgrin).

I just spit beer out of my nose reading that.

CaptNKILL
12-08-04, 01:29 AM
I just spit beer out of my nose reading that.

You might want to have a doctor take a look at that... unless of course you were drinking beer and Sat's post made you laugh...

MUYA
12-08-04, 02:56 AM
I just want to say guys, keep to the topic rather than fight about your fav FPS game. The lads asked a question calling the nV news forum community in answering one question. How will his laptop handle HL2..or D3 (indirectly). So let's just asnwer that. The specs are in his signature.

Thank you

rewt
12-08-04, 06:23 AM
If it plays good on my system it'll play good on anyone's... lol

Both Doom3 and HL2 play real good on my comp. But the HL2 DM is a little laggy with a lot of people in the server. I just bought a new CPU it'll be here tomorrow. :D

Intel17
12-08-04, 06:48 AM

HL2 doesn't challenge a High-End rig. I run 4X AA 16x AF, 1280, maxed out on a Radeon 9800 pro 256.

Oh, and I never got the stuttering issue either ;)

Ninjaman09
12-08-04, 11:09 AM
HL2 doesn't challenge a High-End rig.
:rofl

Yeah, OK...challenges mine well enough. I had to drop all my overclocks to get it running stable, and it maxes out resources pretty good, while dropping to 35-40fps in heavy combat w/ shaders.

I never had the stuttering issue either, I'm leaning towards poor system configuration on that one. Then again, maybe it's just bad luck.

stncttr908
12-08-04, 11:54 AM
Kain, it'll play well enough. If you have a 4200rpm HDD you might get a bit annoyed at the level loading, but with a 5400rpm drive or higher it'll be tolerable.