PDA

View Full Version : I would say Doom3 blows Half Life 2 away !!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

BioHazZarD
12-07-04, 10:03 AM
After completing the game now I can easy say that hl2 has no chance on doom3.

First is the graphics i still believe doom3 is the best looking fps so far.

Second Doom3 has zero bugs for me, no loading or jerking like hl2 has and that has a great impact on playing the game.

Third Hl2 the levels were ok but its not like you can do things different every time all is so damn scripted and there is only 1 way to complete the level.

At least in doom3 you were scared and it feel like you were in a Alien movie it was dark and scary but hl2 just offers some different locations where you suddenly has to save the whole city by yourself.

Just my 2 cents...

wickfut
12-07-04, 11:05 AM
im with u on this one , unless you play HL2 on the hardest skill level its too easy

half life2 kept me amused for a day or so , i have been playing doom3 on and off for weeks

DMA
12-07-04, 11:21 AM
I completed HL2 two weeks ago and i haven't touched the game since. I got bored with it very quickly. Played it twice though. :)
Great game, but i feel i'm trough with it.

Doom 3 (and Far Cry btw) i play almost every night. Doom 3 still impresses me. Everytime i start playing i mumble a bit saying: "Wow, this engine kicks ass". :D
Fun being suprised everytime i guess. :o Anyway, can't wait for more games using the D3E.

Mr. Hunt
12-07-04, 11:23 AM
I agree... I enjoyed Half-Life 2.... but I had many issues with many things during the course of trying to finish the game... and the ending is so anticlimactic it is ridiculous.

Whereas Doom 3, I had very few (if any) issues and I loved the atmosphere of it all... many people complain about it being too dark but I loved the extra tension it added when you spot an enemy with your flashlight and then you either try to put it down with the flashlight... or you have to switch really quickly and blindly shoot at it and hope you get it ;). I loved the ending and everything.

Strange common thing for me though.... In BOTH games I used the shotgun about 90% of the time lol.

boxterduke
12-07-04, 01:55 PM
I would second you on that. I think Doom 3 is better than Half life. Just the last levels are amzing.
I just finished it last night too and I cannot wait to play it again.

as you said HL2 and those damn scripts. NPC talk for hours. Leave me alone and let me fight. Also stupid NPC they block your way and you cannot kill them like HL1

superklye
12-07-04, 02:02 PM
Third Hl2 the levels were ok but its not like you can do things different every time all is so damn scripted and there is only 1 way to complete the level.

Are you kidding me? HL2 offers for lots of experimentation thanks to the amazing physics. You could:

1. Storm an encampment of Combine
2. Shoot an exploding barrel near them
3. Grab an exploding barrel with the gravity gun and hurl it at the Combine
4. Grab an exploding barrel with the gravity gun and hurl it at another barrel near the Combine...

And do you not remember the incredibly large CRANE you got to drive (and could take out Ant lions and Combine with)?

Doom 3 is the one that is so scripted it's ridiculous. Run down very dark hallway. Imps spawn in behind you. More spawn in behind you when you turn around to attack the ones that originally came in behind you.

Repeat. :rolleyes:

Mr. Hunt
12-07-04, 02:06 PM
Are you forgetting the INCREDIBLY small maps? I got tired of the boat and buggy parts because every 2 seconds I was "LOADING"... it got very tedious and those levels should not have been broken up into 30 pieces.

superklye
12-07-04, 02:07 PM
Are you forgetting the INCREDIBLY small maps? I got tired of the boat and buggy parts because every 2 seconds I was "LOADING"... it got very tedious and those levels should not have been broken up into 30 pieces.
Does that change anything I said?

saturnotaku
12-07-04, 02:08 PM
I would definitely agree with the part about Doom 3 blowing.

CaptNKILL
12-07-04, 02:13 PM
Are you kidding me? HL2 offers for lots of experimentation thanks to the amazing physics. You could:

4. Grab an exploding barrel with the gravity gun and hurl it at another barrel near the Combine...

And do you not remember the incredibly large CRANE you got to drive (and could take out Ant lions and Combine with)?

Doom 3 is the one that is so scripted it's ridiculous. Run down very dark hallway. Imps spawn in behind you. More spawn in behind you when you turn around to attack the ones that originally came in behind you.

Yeah I agree with this. If you played an hour of Doom 3 you would know what the rest of the game would be like. I enjoyed it, but not that much.

Half-life 2 had soooo many little things to do, it never got boring for me. Every time things started getting kind of tired, there would be some memorable scene that gave me something really creative to do. In Doom 3 it just dragged out forever. It took me about a month to beat Doom 3 but it was mostly because I got bored. I played HL2 almost constantly for a week and a half before I beat it (probably over 25 hours).

I'll go back and look at Doom 3's graphics (since I havent had a reason to play since I beat it a few months ago) but I really dont think they impressed me as much as HL2s.

LiquidX
12-07-04, 02:16 PM
HL2 is great. But I loaded DOOM3 again after beating HL2 it and the way it looks just blew me away again. HL2 looks nice but DOOM3 is like a playable CG game. I think DOOM3 will show its true colors once other games starting using the engine. I am almost scared to think what Call of Duty and Soldier of Fortune would look like using it. The DOOM3 engine has brought fourth the next generation in graphics IMO. HL2 is great along with the physics but not that great and just a touch above Max Payne 2 which I wish was a bit more popular.

nVidi0t
12-07-04, 02:24 PM
Both have their good and bad qualities. Half Life 2 is the better game though. However, Doom 3's engine really stands out. It never loses it's wow factor.

circuitbreaker8
12-07-04, 02:56 PM

Uh...its not fun after the 100th time.

Skrot
12-07-04, 03:47 PM

4. Grab an exploding barrel with the gravity gun and hurl it at another barrel near the Combine...Blah blah. Are you attempting to make people believe that their opinion is wrong? People couldn't possibly have an opinion that goes against yours. Listing some little things won't change people's minds. They know what is in each game. Some of these people prefer Doom 3. What are you trying to achieve with statements like "Are you kidding me?"? "Oh yes, I was just kidding, superkyle!"...

BTW, if you like cool physics, why don't you just play the Meqon physics demo? (j/k)

(xmassign2

Intel17
12-07-04, 04:18 PM
Doom 3 is just a classic, and i've played it through so many times. Sure it's the same formula, but goshdarnit it's fun. I had more fun with D3 (and even FC for that matter) than HL2. I prefer "outdated gameplay" with Cg-like graphics. It was a great game D3 was...

superklye
12-07-04, 04:47 PM
Uh...its not fun after the 100th time.
And the same tired "scare tactics" and "genius level design" of Doom 3 wasn't fun after the 2nd time.

Point?

Doom 3 is much more scripted and linear than HL2 is or ever will be. If you deny that, then you are a complete fool.

superklye
12-07-04, 04:49 PM
Blah blah. Are you attempting to make people believe that their opinion is wrong? People couldn't possibly have an opinion that goes against yours. Listing some little things won't change people's minds. They know what is in each game. Some of these people prefer Doom 3. What are you trying to achieve with statements like "Are you kidding me?"? "Oh yes, I was just kidding, superkyle!"...

BTW, if you like cool physics, why don't you just play the Meqon physics demo? (j/k)

(xmassign2
No, I assumed he had to be kidding when he said that Doom 3 wasn't anywhere near as scripted as HL2 when, in fact, it is much the opposite. You seem to have glazed over the entire point of my post and started bitching about the same stuff that has been said time and time again. Where did I say that everyone had to have my opinion? I didn't. The "facts" Biohazzard posted were flat out wrong and, as I said in the post above this, if you truly believe that Doom 3 was much less scripted and linear than HL2, you are a complete fool.

EDIT: the more I think about it, the more retarded your post gets. You say that I can't change someone's opinion and you are right, I can't. And I wasn't trying to. I was pointing out, in list form (just like Bio did), how the original points were wrong. Saying that HL2 is more scripted than Doom 3 is not an opinion, it's a "fact" that is just wrong--no matter what your opinion on either game as a whole is.

And what exactly were you trying to achieve with your post?

superklye
12-07-04, 04:56 PM
Doom 3 is just a classic, and i've played it through so many times. Sure it's the same formula, but goshdarnit it's fun. I had more fun with D3 (and even FC for that matter) than HL2. I prefer "outdated gameplay" with Cg-like graphics. It was a great game D3 was...

And you know what? That's great and awesome. But, if you say that you had more open-ended choices in how to tackle a situation in Doom 3 than you did in HL2, you are just wrong.

You can't throw a paint can or a table at an enemy using the gravity gun in Doom 3.

You can't use a table or a non-exploding barrel as a shield (and then throw it at an enemy) in Doom 3.

Hell, you can barely use the grenades in Doom 3 to any real effect. I felt almost impotent when trying to use them...maybe it's a simple game tweak to make them bouncier and more aerodynamic, but I felt the grenades in HL2 were much better. On the converse, the HL2 grenades, while better than the D3 grenades, were still a bit TOO bouncy and I often times found that they went flying too far or rolled too far.

I would rather have the ability to go too far than not far enough though.

And as for linearality again, let's see: run into dark hallway, enemies spawn in behind you charge at you blindly and use no pack mentality whatsoever. It's the same thing every time. You have to shoot them faster than they can run up to you (or slash you since they more than likely spawned in right on top of you).

In HL2, you could run around a corner, throw a grenade and catch the combine as they chased you. Or, when they ran behind cover while they reloaded, you could throw a grenade and get them. They didn't blindly charge you like a retarded bull. Sure, some enemies did, but NOT EVERY ENEMY HAD THE SAME AI.

superklye
12-07-04, 05:05 PM
At least in doom3 you were scared and it feel like you were in a Alien movie it was dark and scary but hl2 just offers some different locations where you suddenly has to save the whole city by yourself.
And another thing...

HOW MANY TIMES DID YOU HAVE A SQUAD OF HUMANS OR ANT LIONS WITH YOU IN HL2?! Half the fricking GAME was spent with others helping you out! You are ALWAYS alone "saving the world by yourself" in Doom 3.

Your post almost seems like you typed Doom 3 where you meant to type HL2 and vice versa.

Did you even PLAY both games?

AngelGraves13
12-07-04, 05:25 PM

Half-Life 2 has MAJOR PROBLEMS

1. You can't kill any of the scripted characters and neither can the enemies, therefore, you do not need to help them or kill the enemies for them. They will get it done eventually. You can sit back.

In RavenHolm, I didn't kill a single monster when that guy was leading me unless they climbed up at the pipes. He shoots them for me and when he leads you on the path to the cemetary, I just stood back and let him kill everyone. He didn't seem to get hurt even when the barrels blew up and he just walked through the fire laughing and saying "come to me my child. let me return you to your true nature. haha haha hahahahaha."

2. There is no end to the black head crabs in the second part of that level. I first tried to kill them all and then I thought, I'd go get the supplies and not kill a single one of them. And you know what? It worked. I didn't have to shoot anything for like 15 mins. How boring.

3. THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO GO. You can look around the level, but there's nothing there. The textures look rather bland and there is NO BUMPMAPPING whatsoever. I saw a wall in Raven Holm from far away where there was a vine growing on it and the blocking a part of the window. I got close to it and looked at it from the side and it's all just one big flat texture. They didn't put much detail into that level, since you're not supposed to be on the ground there.

4. Vehicles. Well...driving them is fun I guess. Driving and shooting them is not too hard, but annoying. Taking out the chopper in Water Hazard was super easy. Just drive around, and shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, and BOOM, it's gone.

5. The physics aren't that amazing. The physics only affect what's scripted. There were some tanks that said flammable, and my friend who was first impressed with the game kept telling me to shoot this and shoot that and nothing at all would happen. DOOM 3 doesn't let you blow a lot of things up either, but at least I know I can kill anything that moves.

Oh yeah...

In RavenHolm, when you go inside a building and go down this hallway and kill a bunch of monsters, don't go back to get supplies because the same monsters will be back in their original places. In DOOM 3 at least you know when you've killed them, they're dead. There may be one imp that spawns, but that's just one. I hate scripted levels. Half-Life 2 is just impressing me and my friends less and less with every level.

I give HL2 4 Stars
I give DOOM 3 4.5 Stars

Superfly
12-07-04, 05:32 PM
I would definitely agree with the part about Doom 3 blowing.

im surprised......do you really think its that bad a game??

I loved it and find it hard to fault from many perpectives. sure the MP sucked and yes it is a scripted game "so is HL2" but so are many other great games.

I find this HL2 conquers all vibe a bit hard to get my head around.....

anyway: - (xmassign)

Superfly
12-07-04, 05:35 PM
And another thing...

HOW MANY TIMES DID YOU HAVE A SQUAD OF HUMANS OR ANT LIONS WITH YOU IN HL2?! Half the fricking GAME was spent with others helping you out! You are ALWAYS alone "saving the world by yourself" in Doom 3.

Your post almost seems like you typed Doom 3 where you meant to type HL2 and vice versa.

Did you even PLAY both games?

oh dear

Riptide
12-07-04, 05:59 PM
1. You can't kill any of the scripted characters and neither can the enemies, therefore, you do not need to help them or kill the enemies for them. They will get it done eventually. You can sit back.
Dude, just what game is it you are playing? There is more than one area where Alyx can get killed. One that springs to mind is when you have to hold off the Combine while she gets one of the big doors in some yard to open up. That's a tough spot, harder than the cell block IMO.

In RavenHolm, I didn't kill a single monster when that guy was leading me unless they climbed up at the pipes. He shoots them for me and when he leads you on the path to the cemetary, I just stood back and let him kill everyone. He didn't seem to get hurt even when the barrels blew up and he just walked through the fire laughing and saying "come to me my child. let me return you to your true nature. haha haha hahahahaha."
Are you playing on easy or what? If I had just stood there on hard anyway they would've mobbed me - he did not come even close to taking all of them out on his own. Assistance was necessary.

2. There is no end to the black head crabs in the second part of that level. I first tried to kill them all and then I thought, I'd go get the supplies and not kill a single one of them. And you know what? It worked. I didn't have to shoot anything for like 15 mins. How boring.
Gotta admit you have a point here in that there are a couple spots in the game (not many though) where you can just bypass a few of the enemies they put out there for you. I think I know which area you're talking about.

3. THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO GO. You can look around the level, but there's nothing there. The textures look rather bland and there is NO BUMPMAPPING whatsoever.
Some legitimate critisizms here. But I can turn the tables if I wanted, Doom3 has a few things about it which suck in comparison graphically. Faces on characters are one example.

4. Vehicles. Well...driving them is fun I guess. Driving and shooting them is not too hard, but annoying. Taking out the chopper in Water Hazard was super easy. Just drive around, and shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, and BOOM, it's gone.
At least they had vehicles in the game, though I didn't really like driving the buggy much. Big PITA just like it was in FarCry.

5. The physics aren't that amazing.
Can I get some of what you're smoking? :D
In RavenHolm, when you go inside a building and go down this hallway and kill a bunch of monsters, don't go back to get supplies because the same monsters will be back in their original places. In DOOM 3 at least you know when you've killed them, they're dead.
Never had this happen and I went back more than one time in multiple areas to retrieve something I'd left.
I give HL2 4 Stars
I give DOOM 3 4.5 Stars
For me:
Doom3 - 2.5 stars
HL2 - 4 stars

superklye
12-07-04, 06:04 PM
Half-Life 2 has MAJOR PROBLEMS

Really? They can't die? Because my squadmates died all the time. The priest died, too. He got ahead of me, I was looking around the graveyard and suddenly the game restarted to a previous save point because he died from being attacked by Zombies.

EDIT: I misread what you said at first. My bad. So...I guess in this situation you discovered just what I've been saying all along, SITUATIONS HAVE MORE THAN ONE SOLUTION. You could by pass the aliens or you could attack. How is this a criticism that they don't force you to waste your time and ammo? And it's pretty intense trying to sneak by, not getting noticed bringing everything down on you. But I guess NOT being forced into mindless, annoying (those headcrabs jumping around are such a bitch sometimes) combat in every situation is a bad thing?

3. THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO GO. You can look around the level, but there's nothing there. The textures look rather bland and there is NO BUMPMAPPING whatsoever. I saw a wall in Raven Holm from far away where there was a vine growing on it and the blocking a part of the window. I got close to it and looked at it from the side and it's all just one big flat texture. They didn't put much detail into that level, since you're not supposed to be on the ground there.

We aren't talking about the graphics, we are talking about how linear the game is. Yes, there is only one way to go, BUT THERE IS MORE THAN ONE WAY TO GET THERE. In the levels you have to use the gravity gun to place the various pieces of scrap in front of you so as to not step on the sand and alert the Ant Lions...you could do that, or you could just go balls out and charge across the sand blowing apart everything that attacked you. Nothing stopped you from doing that.

If you wanted to run into a room guns a-blazing and take down everything with just your bullets, you could. Or, you could draw Combine out of a house on the side of the road (thinking about one of the pit stops along the way when driving the buggy) one by one and pick them off. Or you could roll an exploding barrel in there and blow it up killing them that way. You aren't stuck in a small, dark coridor with only one direction to go. In Doom 3, you HAVE to fight everything. In HL2, you can usually run right by some of the enemies not stopping to get them if you don't want to or you can let your squad take them out. You have choices! Yes, there is only one place to go in the end, it doesn't have 9 endings like STALKER will, but you aren't forced down one dark hallway after another with only your guns to use as weapons.

Again, what do the vehicles have to do with anything that was being discussed? Yes, the helicopter only had one way to be destroyed, but that's to be expected every now and then. Not every situation warrants numerous ways to get out of it, just think about it for a second: in real life if a helicopter is flying around attacking you and you have a gun...are you going to jump and try to climb inside to hijack it or would you try to shoot it down? You only have one option.

5. The physics aren't that amazing. The physics only affect what's scripted. There were some tanks that said flammable, and my friend who was first impressed with the game kept telling me to shoot this and shoot that and nothing at all would happen. DOOM 3 doesn't let you blow a lot of things up either, but at least I know I can kill anything that moves.

I don't even know what you're talking about. So every time I picked up a table and threw it at a zombie, it was scripted? Every time I chose to use a saw blade rather than ammo, it was scripted? Every time I threw an exploding barrel at oncoming enemies, it was scripted? Every time I used a table or some other large object as a shield to deflect gunfire and then used said object as a weapon against those attacking me (instead of just running with the shotty), it was scripted?

Oh yeah...

In RavenHolm, when you go inside a building and go down this hallway and kill a bunch of monsters, don't go back to get supplies because the same monsters will be back in their original places. In DOOM 3 at least you know when you've killed them, they're dead. There may be one imp that spawns, but that's just one. I hate scripted levels. Half-Life 2 is just impressing me and my friends less and less with every level.

So respawning enemies means the game is scripted? It's a dynamic world: it's under attack by aliens. Ravenholm isn't a safe area (like City 17) and therefore, the headcrabs and their likes have free reign over the area. It makes perfect sense to me that more aliens would wander into the area.

Kinda woulda made sense for enemies to respawn in Doom 3 considering the gates of Hell were opened...but that's right, D3 is much less scripted than HL2. :rolleyes:

saturnotaku
12-07-04, 06:19 PM
im surprised......do you really think its that bad a game??

Biggest waste of $55 + tax and gas money ever. I was so bored, by the time I got to EnPro I said f-it, cut my losses and traded it in towards Burnout 3 and a Halo 2 deposit.

I find this HL2 conquers all vibe a bit hard to get my head around.....

There is not a single person who posted in this thread who has said anything remotely close.