PDA

View Full Version : One Huge Mama : from IBM

MUYA
12-08-04, 12:40 AM
I dunno if u have seen this but... WTF???

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=9066&stc=1

That's one huge assed CPU

$n][pErMan
12-08-04, 01:20 AM
can you say .. supercomputer!?! (xmasgrin)

CaptNKILL
12-08-04, 01:32 AM
Looks like something from the early 80s to me... :D

Actaully, I saw a CPU from an SGI computer and it was about that size (though it was in a metal casing, so I doubt the CPU itself was that big). I wonder how many pins that mofugga has :D

MUYA
12-08-04, 01:42 AM
It's IBM's 64 core CPU

CaptNKILL
12-08-04, 04:55 AM
It's IBM's 64 core CPU
pssssst... i only see 8 (sofahide)

MUYA
12-08-04, 05:37 AM
psssssst: there are multicores on each die ;)

trust me (xmasgrin)

retsam
12-08-04, 08:18 AM
i saw this a linux expo in nyc last year... 64 cpu multi core and something like 64 megs of cache. we have four of those main frame cpu racks...

well at the end of every month we run off the financial transation for all our customers that get printed out on high speed printers... there are massive programes that run called parent jobs. well these programes kick off other programes called succers. well these jobs this month were so big that we pegged the main frame cpu 100% for three days and nights straight. but man i do wish doom could be ported to these beasts it would be amazing .....

MUYA
12-08-04, 08:23 AM
but man i do wish doom could be ported to these beasts it would be amazing .....
u don't say :D I mean no need for a seperate GPU or APU? all done in one beast of a CPU.

BTW are they erm...air cooled or phase change or water??? (xmasgrin)

retsam
12-08-04, 08:30 AM
BTW are they erm...air cooled or phase change or water??? its sort of like the vapor chill but way bigger and fully redundant.

oh ya heres a little fack from the linux confrence .... i was talking to the ibm engineer and he had pointed out that these beasts through vmware were running something like 150 concurent sessions of linux at the same time... amazing simply amazing

MUYA
12-08-04, 08:34 AM
its sort of like the vapor chill but way bigger and fully redundant.

oh ya heres a little fack from the linux confrence .... i was talking to the ibm engineer and he had pointed out that these beasts through vmware were running something like 150 concurent sessions of linux at the same time... amazing simply amazing

Impressive!

Wonder how much these beasts cost..cpu? system? cooling alll in one? $2-3 million?

retsam
12-08-04, 08:39 AM
Wonder how much these beasts cost..cpu? system? cooling alll in one? $2-3 million?
not quite sure ... but we did just spend something like 20 million on new high speed laser jet printers from ibm.... hmm now that i think of it i remember it is in the range of two million+ per box (depending on configuration)... and i think the company has something like eight of these ....

MUYA
12-08-04, 08:51 AM
I suppose you could justify those costs :p

retsam
12-08-04, 09:02 AM
I suppose you could justify those costs

heheh glad thats not my job....

MUYA
12-08-04, 09:11 AM
lol

/start Mr Obvious mode

U have to pay for top notch stuff :D

/end Mr Obvious mode

nVestor
12-08-04, 09:30 AM
Woah! :afraid: That's about the size of a GameCube (footprint wise)... lol. (xmasgrin)

GlowStick
12-08-04, 01:00 PM
Ah yeah, i saw some video presentation on it, the cooling system was very unique :D

Bill The Cat
12-08-04, 03:24 PM
You could club someone to death with that thing...

I bet it could beat a dual core G5 running WINE emulating Windows emulating PearPC :). Three levels of emulation!

WimpMiester
12-08-04, 03:27 PM
High powered computing and coffee maker all in one CPU (snowlol)

GlowStick
12-08-04, 04:40 PM
You could club someone to death with that thing...

I bet it could beat a dual core G5 running WINE emulating Windows emulating PearPC :). Three levels of emulation!
WINE IS NOT an EMULATOR

tee hee hee

but seriously, thats what wine stands for and its not an emulator.