PDA

View Full Version : No DDR2 For Amd Until 2006!

gate1975mlm
12-08-04, 11:20 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20108

|JuiceZ|
12-08-04, 11:25 AM
That could be a wise move. Hopefully by that time DDR2 will *actually* be faster than its predecessor with lower latencies & apps/games will be out that will actually take advantage of the increased bandwidth.

Riptide
12-08-04, 12:12 PM
Meh Athlon64 was never as bandwidth hungry as the netburst competition anyway. There isn't a real need for it yet. At least w/regard to AMD's offerings. :)

Soylent
12-08-04, 12:30 PM
That's a good thing(tm).

superklye
12-08-04, 12:47 PM
I think it's a good idea...DDR2 is probably the most useless and unneeded upgrade at the moment. Sure, the same thing could be said about an A64, but, while there aren't many 64-bit apps to take advantage of the A64, at least it has an overall speed increase whereas DDR2 doesn't.

EDIT: Holy crap...next gen Opterons to have 1207 pins...yowza. That's about a 30% increase in CPU size.

Riptide
12-08-04, 12:58 PM
PCI Express is also nearly worthless ATM unless you're talking SLI setups. ;)

Cota
12-08-04, 03:16 PM
Meh Athlon64 was never as bandwidth hungry as the netburst competition anyway. There isn't a real need for it yet. At least w/regard to AMD's offerings. :)

It is, it just handles its bandwith better.

stncttr908
12-08-04, 04:50 PM
Good news if you were on the fence about upgrading. Just do it. :thumbsup:

ricercar
12-08-04, 08:43 PM
DDR-II on my 5700/5800 cards is great for heating my computer room in the winter time. I bet you think I'm kidding.

superklye
12-08-04, 09:09 PM
DDR-II on my 5700/5800 cards is great for heating my computer room in the winter time. I bet you think I'm kidding.
I think that's different than DDR2

Daneel Olivaw
12-09-04, 09:11 AM
Meh, I'm moving to PC4200...

Ha! DDR-I though. It's funny how since the Athlon FX is so good I don't see any P4s in sigs no more...

I agree that AMD shouldn't jump on the DDR2 bandwagon yet.

Riptide
12-09-04, 09:22 AM
Yeah it is kinda neat to see how Intel seems to have lost serious ground in the retail market. AMD has some real nice products.

Now, what I would really like to see is for Dell to wake up and smell the coffee and then jump onboard. As good as AMD is right now the OEM market is where the bread/butter is at and so far they haven't really taken a big bite out of that segment. If Dell jumped onboard w/AMD Intel would really start to feel it.

saturnotaku
12-09-04, 09:29 AM
If Dell jumped onboard w/AMD Intel would really start to feel it.

Exactly. It's not as if other major OEMs (HP/Compaq, et al) are exclusive to one brand or another. Hell, you go to Best Buy and an Athlon desktop will be sitting right next to a P4. If Dell made an Athlon 64-based laptop, I'd be all over that.

anzak
12-09-04, 11:09 AM
Exactly. It's not as if other major OEMs (HP/Compaq, et al) are exclusive to one brand or another. Hell, you go to Best Buy and an Athlon desktop will be sitting right next to a P4. If Dell made an Athlon 64-based laptop, I'd be all over that.

If I had the money, I would be also. Dell laptops are very well built and backed. When the 5400rpm IBM drive died in my C610 they sent me a Toshiba 7200rpm drive as a repalcement. (xmasgrin)

Getting back on topic, I would like to see DDR2 on an Athlon 64 board sometime soon. My plan was to buy a new processor, mobo, and memory within the next year or so.

Daneel Olivaw
12-09-04, 12:04 PM

Riptide
12-09-04, 12:12 PM
It's going to be DDR/AGP for me at least for another year, maybe longer.

ynnek
12-09-04, 12:22 PM
trouble is AMD doesn't have the capacity, even if they were totally dedicated to Dell, for the desktops..

Anyways, AMD's got a good run the past years.. but looking at the near future, Intel's side sems like they'll have their stuff together again. We'll see.

Yeah it is kinda neat to see how Intel seems to have lost serious ground in the retail market. AMD has some real nice products.

Now, what I would really like to see is for Dell to wake up and smell the coffee and then jump onboard. As good as AMD is right now the OEM market is where the bread/butter is at and so far they haven't really taken a big bite out of that segment. If Dell jumped onboard w/AMD Intel would really start to feel it.

Riptide
12-09-04, 12:26 PM
trouble is AMD doesn't have the capacity, even if they were totally dedicated to Dell, for the desktops..
I've heard that elsewhere as well. To bad. That might be partly why Dell isn't really all that interested in pushing the 64 for desktops. I can understand their position then.
Anyways, AMD's got a good run the past years.. but looking at the near future, Intel's side sems like they'll have their stuff together again. We'll see.If Intel comes out with a knockout blow the next round AMD might be hurtin' again... TBH Intel has the money to suck wind for another cycle at least and be just fine. So I kind of hope AMD continues to do better than they are so that they even things up financially a little better. I keep worrying about AMD going under in the future. Maybe I'm just a worry wart. ;)

T.h.o.m.a.s.
12-11-04, 11:26 AM
if intel could get those centrino's running @3Ghz...