PDA

View Full Version : CDrom and DVD drives read CD's as blank

Mike007
12-08-04, 09:15 PM
My dads PC has a CDRW and a DVDRW drives, they are both detected in the BIOS although the CDROM flickers in the menu and are also found in windows, connected on a Gigabyte GA-8SQ800 Ultra motherboard.

Now the problem is whatever type of CD is inserted the normal window pops up saying how to open it but it says (Blank CD), and when trying to open the CD's it says I/O device error.

Right clicking on my computer > manager > disk managerment it shows them both and how big the files are when a CD is in but it doesnt read them.

They both work in my PC and have worked in the past they just stopped working... I've tried updating the bios, changing the IDE cables and with new ones and also with them on their own and still no joy.

Any help would be great!
Mike

Fahim
12-10-04, 02:23 PM
The same is happening with me also. Windows reported some CD's as blank. But in other PC they are running fine. Then I find out that it is a DVD-ROM drive problem.

|JuiceZ|
12-10-04, 02:41 PM
Trying swapping out the IDE cable.

Mike007
12-12-04, 07:39 PM
The drives have worked in the past, apart from the dvdrw because its new but this works in my PC but not this one.

I've tried three sets of IDE cables, could the motherboard have gone? but just the IDE ports... seems strange.

$n][pErMan
12-12-04, 08:43 PM
Could be a ton of things .. id check:
-Make sure CD / DVD session is closed
-Make sure one drive is master and the other is slave
-Make sure if its a DVD that its the right format
-Try booting from the windows CD... if you can... its not your CD rom and is driver related.

Mike007
12-13-04, 07:55 AM
[pErMan']Could be a ton of things .. id check:
-Make sure CD / DVD session is closed
-Make sure one drive is master and the other is slave
-Make sure if its a DVD that its the right format
-Try booting from the windows CD... if you can... its not your CD rom and is driver related.

I should of added the above in my first post they have all been tried, when I try to boot from a CD it says "system boot disk error" please enter proper boot disk etc so I cant reload windows or anything.

$n][pErMan
12-13-04, 02:00 PM
Have you tried a different CD-Rom? Maybe it died on you. Try one at a time on the master channel and see if u can get one to work. If one is dead... it could mess up the other if they are on the same cable.

wickfut
12-13-04, 02:28 PM
i had a virus a while back that let me write over a purchased cd

Mike007
12-13-04, 05:30 PM
ok an update

I changed the CD drives IDE cable over into the HDD IDE port and it works, so I have my HDD and dvdrw on the same IDE cable now I never knew you could plug things into any IDE socket as the manuals etc tell you to plug them into the right or left socket. I'm still stuck with only running two things at once as one IDE socket has stopped working better then nout but still strange for one socket to fail.

When something is plugged into the none working IDE socket the names of the devices are messed up like my dvdrw is a liteon and it was called late-gn plus my hdd was gThZ or something instead of maxtor, this doesnt seem normal.. or is it a simple way of noticing something is not right.
(Could it be a virus messing with the socket or is it just broke?)

I ran a test and it fixed two problems but the socket is still screwed.
Ta

$n][pErMan
12-13-04, 05:56 PM
CD-Rom/DVDROM or whatever hooked up with a hard drive = very bad!!! It slows your Hard-Drive if its IDE from ATA133 to ATA33. Not a good thing.

Mike007
12-14-04, 06:45 AM
[pErMan']CD-Rom/DVDROM or whatever hooked up with a hard drive = very bad!!! It slows your Hard-Drive if its IDE from ATA133 to ATA33. Not a good thing.

oright eek well as long as it doesnt damage anything its the fact that it works is a good thing but we are going to try and format it an see if it somehow fixes the other socket if it has some kind of conflict or such, I'll wait and see if me or my dad get anyfeedback first.

$n][pErMan
12-14-04, 04:13 PM
It will not damage anything (that im aware of) ... but it does slow down your hard drives data transfer by A LOT.

Mike007
12-14-04, 05:46 PM
[pErMan']It will not damage anything (that im aware of) ... but it does slow down your hard drives data transfer by A LOT.

Okay well cheers for that I'll see how it gets on weather we can still fix the other cable or try formatting it.