PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

lmetza
12-08-04, 10:04 PM
Well i want to buy an MMO, but i dont want to get one that i wont like or get bored of easily. Otherwise its wasted money (cuz these dont even have 1 week trials out yet). So ide like to get some opinions from people.
I have only played Planetside before (which i thought was AWSOME, as i was able to sorta glitch the trial and get 4 free weeks by useing new keys and it let me use the same account :-\ ) then i played the SW galaxies trial for a few days but found it was too slow for me.
So what would you recomend?
Im leaning towards World of Warcraft (as i really like Warcraft 3).

-=DVS=-
12-08-04, 10:24 PM
I don't know about WoW but i got EverQuest 2 there is way more stuff to do then any other MMO i playd more then just wack and slash xp sink hog,

Amazing Graphics for the future (a bit slow on current hardware)
Lotsa Quests (solo,group,raid,ect , got some very nice instanced quest reduced mob campeing greatly )
Houseing and decorations (own a house or apartament in different places not just inn , get stuff to decorate inside , have pets ect ect.)
Crafting items ( awesome game in itself , gather resource build from cheap to rare items) (Food/Clothing/Metal work/Wood work/Alchemy/Skill makeing ect)
Dynamic world (world interacts with itself , wolf hunting deer , dog chases cats ect to much to name , day and night changes in real time , night sky looks like real !! :eek: , fog , rain ect ect).
Awesome character customization.

Can probably name more :p

Connaught
12-08-04, 10:40 PM
It is very difficult to say,
I own Everquest 2 and I can give you the reasons why i baught it instead of World of Warcraft because i think that would be more effective a displaying my thoughts rather than saying one is better than the other because I simply have not played World of Warcraft.

I baught Everquest 2 because I thought it was my congruent to my style of online play. I originally owned Ultima Online and absolutly loved it. The formation of player guilds and variations of players astounded me and I wanted another game that would reflect that. So I baught Everquest 2.
With its Guild system and prestege, player creations, classes and artisans really gave me hope of what it could be. After playing it for over a month I must say that I am both impressed and confussed. This game is bloody huge and the graphics are awesome (if you have a computer that can run it). That said, the game is also very complex and hard to understand...even now i feel as though I know only 5% of it all. I wish Everquest 2 was easier to get a hold of and become attached, I feel as though I'm trying understand this game but it just keeps pushing me back with its complexity (i.e Artisan Crafting...WOW...so many items to create, so many little hard to find pieces to find. One other thing that I liked about Ultima Online is that you could enjoy the game playing as an Individual or with a group/guild. Everquest 2 does not allow you the oppertunity to enjoy the game (advance in lvl and prestige) without having to rely on finding a group; both in Adventuring class and the Artisan class.
Because of the games highly advanced engine (designed for systems of the future) many have found that the game runs poorly or not as well as they would have liked, myself included. It is getting better though, I baught the game a week after release and had to turn down the settings so much to get a decent fps that the game looked like EQ and not EQ2 like i saw in the videos.
I enjoying playing Everquest 2. I'm not absolutly in love with it to the point i would say im addicted but you know...its a fun game. I'm happy with my purchace.
If you are looking for a game where you can jump right into and have some fun then avoid everquest 2. It takes time to appreciate and understand it, sure the Isle of Refuge is really fun and fast paced, but once you hit the real world (Qyenos or Freeport) you are hit with a seemingly imsurmountable wall of complexity.
I would hightly recommend that you check out Guild Wars if you are looking for a fun and simple (compared to Everquest 2) MMORPG. I did not buy it because if felt that the lack of player housing and relative artisan class left no room for social prestege.

At anyrate, wait a few months and buy Guild Wars or buy either WoW or EQ2...either way you can't go wrong.

-=DVS=-
12-08-04, 11:21 PM
Yeah , my first character i just rushed throu EQ2 without exploring or enjoying the game i was all for wack and slash lol :p , big loss of me there is so much more fun if you do it slow pace explore and do stuff.

Guild Wars is a must have you don't need monthly pay you can keep it and play whenever you feel like it (something like online shooter CS have a doze of fun daily), but its arcade type of RPG game , not complex little to do , mainly PvP once you level up , quests and missions are very simple straith forward , but PvP is like combat zones pretty fun you can fight people from other nations , Asians, Europians ect :p in groups not solo . Graphics are nice and slick but not dynamic as EQ2 offcourse.

Whoever playd WoW could tell us about it ?

lmetza
12-08-04, 11:39 PM
Just wondering, how is the damage system in EQ2. Cuz i didnt like the damage system in Morrowind where you rarely hit the enemy (swing the sword 20 times, you only hit 5 even though you could visually see the sword make contact each time) even though Morrowind isnt MMO.

-=DVS=-
12-09-04, 12:27 AM
Hmm normal hits id say are from 60% to 80% chance of hitting and skill moves are like 95% rarely misses. Thats is if you play a fighter type and your main thing is wacking then you miss rarely , now if you a Mage type and you nuke all the time only ocasionaly melee then yes one hit every 3 swings , but you can rise your skills pretty fast :p

There is also other moves , blocking parrying , evading ect ect that mix up in a combat makeing it more fun.

Lfctony
12-09-04, 12:46 AM
A lot of my mates in another forum seem to like Guild Wars a lot. It's been delayed though. I might give it a go though, since it involves no monthly fee.

Ninjaman09
12-09-04, 10:49 AM
Hmm normal hits id say are from 60% to 80% chance of hitting and skill moves are like 95% rarely misses. Thats is if you play a fighter type and your main thing is wacking then you miss rarely , now if you a Mage type and you nuke all the time only ocasionaly melee then yes one hit every 3 swings , but you can rise your skills pretty fast

There is also other moves , blocking parrying , evading ect ect that mix up in a combat makeing it more fun.
Hah hah, you actually just described World of Warcraft perfectly too. WoW also has a full guild system, item creation, awesome auctioning system, quests, raids, instance dungeons, blah blah. I think it's a ton of fun and I love the art style of the game. It runs perfectly all the time on my system as well. Like they say, it's really up to you. The only other MMO I've paid to play was City of Heroes, and that got boring really fast. I beta tested Asheron's Call 2, Star Wars: Galaxies (worst of the bunch by far), and WoW. I'm biased towards WoW because I'm a gigantic fan of Blizzard's games, too.

lmetza
12-09-04, 06:14 PM
I got everquest 2, walmart was sold out of World of warcraft.

-=DVS=-
12-09-04, 06:47 PM
I got everquest 2, walmart was sold out of World of warcraft.

You can read these tips , not found in Manual or game tutorial , very helpfull ;)
Tips (http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=Newbie&message.id=47309&no_redir=true)

lmetza
12-09-04, 07:02 PM
WTF is disc 10 for, it didnt ask for it during install.

nrdstrm
12-09-04, 08:27 PM
Imetza...Dunno...I bought the DVD version. As far as EQII VS. WOW I think it's all down to personal preference. While I like Blizzards games, I'm not fond of the "cartoony" style graphics. I beta tested both and am really happy with EQII. Really if your an MMORPGer you should try both (kinda expensive) for the 30 day free trials and stick with wichever one you like best. For me it's EQII though...
Nrdstrm

lmetza
12-09-04, 09:46 PM
So far i like EQ2, kinda has that mix of Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights to it, and i like. The graphics are awsome and it runs nice on Extreem Quality but i might go to Ver high so i can use AA and AF together (if EQ2 supports AA cuz it didnt seem like 2x was working at all). Plus i got to defrag after that massive install, that will probably clear up some of the stuttering im getting when running.

Any suggestions for Visual settingsthat would be best for my 6800NU.

-=DVS=-
12-09-04, 10:51 PM
Oh yeah for AA to work properly need to add a line in ini file, let me check. I don't know if they patched it or not but after the launch of EQ2 AA wasn't working correctly so you had to do this , after i done it AA was working perfectly ;) playing with 4xAA and 8xAF (actually there is little difference from 2xAA and 4xAF in EQ2 hard to spot )
by default AA is disabled completely in EQ2 (at least it was in beta)
in order to use AA do the following steps
1) open notepad
2) type in the following line, r_aa_blit 1
3) save this as eq2.ini
4) place the eq2.ini file in your everquest2 directory
AA will now work in the game just set it to whatever you prefer on your video card 2xAA, 4xAA, etc

Link (http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=tech_support&message.id=77)

Blacklash
12-10-04, 01:13 AM
Personally, I like EQ II,

It runs well on my rig. Most that complain about it running poorly are simply putting too much on thier machine and perhaps don't want to admit it. Aka, turn down some F'n settings and go for balanced or below, not very high all ranges/details maxed.

If one were into PvP I could see getting WoW. I do not like the cartoon fashion in which it is rendered. I realize this was a deliberate creative choice. Elves with ears long as thier arms are just not for me.

With EQ II, unlike EQ, you can actually level well doing quests, and can have up to 50 in your journal. The game certainly isn't perfect, however I feel it is the best thing out right now for MMORPG fans, and in particular, PvE interested players.

That is where I have been spending my time, in EQ II on one of the RP preferred servers.

mustrum
12-10-04, 02:56 AM
Personally, I like EQ II,

It runs well on my rig. Most that complain about it running poorly are simply putting too much on thier machine and perhaps don't want to admit it. Aka, turn down some F'n settings and go for balanced or below, not very high all ranges/details maxed.

If one were into PvP I could see getting WoW. I do not like the cartoon fashion in which it is rendered. I realize this was a deliberate creative choice. Elves with ears long as thier arms are just not for me.

With EQ II, unlike EQ, you can actually level well doing quests, and can have up to 50 in your journal. The game certainly isn't perfect, however I feel it is the best thing out right now for MMORPG fans, and in particular, PvE interested players.

That is where I have been spending my time, in EQ II on one of the RP preferred servers.

Look at my sig first:
I run at 1152x854
No shadows
cube map at single
complex shaders at 20
rendering distance at 300
max 4 high detail characters
no bloom
high texture resolution

as you see i have quite a lot stuff disabled.
I get between 25 and 60 FPS while running around in antonica and 10 to 20 FPS while fighting. In Blackburrow i dropped as low as 6 FPS.
It's NOT my settings since i tried out an old 9800 PRO that runs SMOOTH at the same settings in the same system.
Also reformated so it's no driver issue.

Then again there's evil stuttering even when i am in a spot with nothing around and 60 FPS.....

If it runs smooth for you you closed your eyes or are happy to fight in the sub 20 FPS area. I've not seen a 6800 owner that could show me proof of getting good FPS while fighting yet.

Skrot
12-10-04, 06:21 AM
I haven't played EQ2, but WoW is awesome as hell. The game runs really well all of the time, which is very important to me. As well as that, the game looks absolutely fantastic. No other MMORPG that I've seen, in-game or screenshots, has the incredible artistic styling of Warcraft. EQ2 looks graphically good, but bland. It's hard to describe, but the world is just so varied, always interesting, always fun to investigate. The models, animations, sounds, spell effects, etc (as opposed to ect) are all the best I've seen in any game like this. Basically everything about the game just seems right; well thought out, well implemented.

Give it a shot. :)

Edit: I didn't say anything about the gameplay :D. The gameplay is the best part! I spent about 5-6 hours today in a group of 5, doing Elite quests in an instanced dungeon in Blackfathom Deeps, and damn it's fun. Elite mobs are creatures that are much more powerful for their level than regular mobs, and unless you are quite a few levels over the mobs, you won't be able to survive there on your own. So you have to find a group of players who fit together well (healers, tanks, damage dealers or whatever mix you want), keep together and duke it out against the mobs. Ahh man, I can't wait to get back to doing that quest again... We died at what I imagine was near the end, and then people had to leave.

Mmmmm WoW.. ;)

Skrot
12-10-04, 06:32 AM
If you take any stock in Gamespot's reviews, WoW whups EQ2 in their eyes :) (just going by the scores they're given): http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/everquest2/index.html http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/index.html

Tyr-Sog
12-10-04, 10:30 AM
Reviews are garbage. Just take all the Fable reviews in to consideration. What a joke. lol

Anyways, as much as I like EQ2 and as much as I don't want to because of the time I got invested in this game I may go buy WOW and cancell my EQ2 account for the time being and let them get the beta stage worked out. There's just no excuse for the issues with the type of systems a lot of us have and it's obveious that most people are knowledgable when it comes to PC maintaince.

I mean come on, last night I was fighting mobs on the lowest setting possible and it was still horrible. lol

there's nothing more I hate in the world of PC gaming is day in and day out tring to figure out work around solutions when all I should be doing is playing a polished finished product. Espiecially since everyother game on my HDD runs fine.

So, I'll keep an eye on the EQ2 forums, see if that get their **** together.

Skrot
12-10-04, 10:56 AM
Reviews are garbage? Why? They're someone's opinion. Granted, there may well be money involved, but I doubt that they would get paid money to give a game a lower score. I don't really see how just because an opinion happens to be in a place that many people read that it suddenly becomes invalid. What if you were to write a review which just so happened to end up in a place that many people read? Ah, your opinion is now garbage. I see.

Slybri
12-10-04, 02:06 PM
WoW was made by Blizzard. That's all I needed to know when I bought the game.

I usually hate MMO's because they're slow going time sinks, but WoW changed that. No xp loss on death, no long "meditation" between fights, constant cool drops and upgrades. A deep backstory from years of games, novels, and the tabletop RPG. And that great Blizzard sense of style and humor everywhere. There's nothing in it that's not fun. Heck, they even made dying fun! You get to run around as a ghost that walks on water!
Sure the graphics are not as high tech as EQ2, but Blizzard used them to make a work of art. EQ2 looks shiney and dull in comparison. And WoW runs ultra-smooth at 1600x1200 full aa and aniso...and no load points! Sure it looks a lil toony, but I'd rather watch a beautiful, artistically animated cartoon than a crappy movie. And you fall in love with WoW's style after the first hour or so. Besides, Gameplay is what counts and WoW is far superior to EQ2 in that department. Bumpmapped dragons are just lipstick on a pig, man!

WoW is the best MMO ever made, hands down.

BTW: someone should have "baught" some english lessons....lol!

lmetza
12-10-04, 02:15 PM
What is a good server to play on actually? im on toxxulia.
When i got to the city i had to lower my settings (i followed the guide in the other thread) and i no longer have AA, my driver is set to Performance and i only have 4xAF on and 1152x864 in the game set @ High quality and customized to what the guide said, and all shadows are off, that made a huge difference.
I am kinda annoyed by the fact that it SHOULD be running better, but im sure within the next months they will get things ironed out and nvidia will hopefully make some optimizations. But im still happy with EQ2 so far. Ille see how i still like it in 29 days.

Moondawg
12-10-04, 02:20 PM
I have been on the beta for WOW since April and I have loved it. I have played EQ and SWG and EQ was awesome for its time, but SWG disappointed me after awhile. I have not played EQ2 and I have heard some good things about it, but WOW has awesome playability and I love the graphics. The questing system rocks and takes the dullness of level grinding and every class can be beneficial in a group, so there are less rejections for groups. If I hadn't been on the WOW beta I would have to try them both out first. I even recomend you trying EQ2 first then trying WOW.

lmetza
12-10-04, 02:22 PM
If EQ2 somehow doesnt work out after my 30 days, i might try WoW.

|JuiceZ|
12-10-04, 02:36 PM
I have been on the beta for WOW since April and I have loved it. I have played EQ and SWG and EQ was awesome for its time, but SWG disappointed me after awhile. I have not played EQ2 and I have heard some good things about it, but WOW has awesome playability and I love the graphics. The questing system rocks and takes the dullness of level grinding and every class can be beneficial in a group, so there are less rejections for groups. If I hadn't been on the WOW beta I would have to try them both out first. I even recomend you trying EQ2 first then trying WOW.

Long time no see scrub, you should stop by more often :afro: