PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with Gameve over a defective 6800 GT?

JimmyWang214
12-09-04, 10:53 AM
Ok I originally got a Gainward 6800 GT GS from them back in September. It was broken so I sent it back to Gameve. 2 months later they FINALLY decide to give me a replacement. Unfortunately it was a Leadtek. I had asked for a Gigabyte, EVGA or any other brand but unfortunatley only the Leadtek and the XFX was in stock and I 've heard worse things about the XFX than Leadtek. When I got the Leadtek I plugged it in and it was DOA. Screen corruption was everywhere, strange symbols all across the screen etc etc. I sent it in for RMA. Got a new one back...same deal. I have the nagging suspicion taht Gameve sent me back the one I sent in the first place. Now I sent this one back and I demanded a different brand GT, but Gameve are being difficult and saying I have to get confirmation from Leadtek that this GT is defective. HELLO!!!! When I can't even see the POST screen its pretty obvious its defective! I really don't want a Leadtek and I'm not sure if Gameve is going to bend. I already sent them an angry e-mail about them limiting my choices (since other brands are now in stock) but what else should I say?

Daneel Olivaw
12-09-04, 11:01 AM
Thought of trying them in a different comp?

Salamandar
12-09-04, 11:09 AM
You sure it's not your PSU ?

JimmyWang214
12-09-04, 11:29 AM
Thought of trying them in a different comp?

The only other computer I have is a Dell P3-733. I dont' think the motherboard supports AGP 2.0 or whatever that is required to use the Leadtek.

About the power supply: do you really think it could be the problem? I'm not really keen on PSs but could it cause the video card to not work correctly in this manner? I have a Antec TruPower 430 and I'm only running a floppy, one dvd-r, and one hard drive on it. None of the other signs of PS failure have come up. Besides, this other guy on this forum said he had to go through 3 faulty Leadteks (which were messed up in the same manner as mine) before getting a good one. I already told Gameve that with the amount of money I spent on shipping for RMA I already could have bought an Ultra at a brick and mortar store

Zelda_fan
12-09-04, 11:30 AM
Ok I originally got a Gainward 6800 GT GS from them back in September. It was broken so I sent it back to Gameve. 2 months later they FINALLY decide to give me a replacement. Unfortunately it was a Leadtek. I had asked for a Gigabyte, EVGA or any other brand but unfortunatley only the Leadtek and the XFX was in stock and I 've heard worse things about the XFX than Leadtek. When I got the Leadtek I plugged it in and it was DOA. Screen corruption was everywhere, strange symbols all across the screen etc etc. I sent it in for RMA. Got a new one back...same deal. I have the nagging suspicion taht Gameve sent me back the one I sent in the first place. Now I sent this one back and I demanded a different brand GT, but Gameve are being difficult and saying I have to get confirmation from Leadtek that this GT is defective. HELLO!!!! When I can't even see the POST screen its pretty obvious its defective! I really don't want a Leadtek and I'm not sure if Gameve is going to bend. I already sent them an angry e-mail about them limiting my choices (since other brands are now in stock) but what else should I say?

damn, I bought from GameVE but I choose XFX. PHEW! Glad I choose XFX!

Buck Armstrong
12-09-04, 11:32 AM

If you think they're re-sending you cards you've already sent back, then try this: when you call to get your RMA, tell them you just can't wait another 2 months, and offer to buy another card now for immediate shipment. Then ship the bad card back, and have them re-credit to your card when they get it. That way they can screw around with your RMA as long as they want. You're basically paying for 2 cards temporarily, but you won't have to wait nearly as long, and have a better chance of getting a new retail box rather than another second-hand part.

JimmyWang214
12-09-04, 11:41 AM
If you think they're re-sending you cards you've already sent back, then try this: when you call to get your RMA, tell them you just can't wait another 2 months, and offer to buy another card now for immediate shipment. Then ship the bad card back, and have them re-credit to your card when they get it. That way they can screw around with your RMA as long as they want. You're basically paying for 2 cards temporarily, but you won't have to wait nearly as long, and have a better chance of getting a new retail box rather than another second-hand part.

15% restocking fee guarantees that I"ll never ask for a refund or do what you just suggested, but thanks for the suggestion. Its not that they're going to take another 2 months, its that they're giving me crap for wanting another brand when they're the ones who forced me to get the crappy Leadtek in the first place after they gave me a crappy Gainward. I'm going to ask one of my professors (who's a lawyer) what legal means I can use to threaten Gameve cause this is BS how they're treating me

Kev1
12-09-04, 11:48 AM
I was thinking of ordering some things from gameve, but after reading this thread I'm not.

I'm sticking with NewEgg :)

Salamandar
12-09-04, 11:59 AM
I was thinking of ordering some things from gameve, but after reading this thread I'm not.

NEWegg and ZIPZOOMFLY.
THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Best (xmassign)

JimmyWang214
12-09-04, 12:37 PM

At least something good came out of my disaster. I recommend Mwave as well. They have the best return policy online as they don't charge re-stocking fees for defective products. I don't understand why all e-retaliers don't have this policy...

Daneel Olivaw
12-09-04, 02:46 PM
note the serial no.

Faster
12-09-04, 02:57 PM
newegg rocks :)

wickfut
12-09-04, 03:33 PM
contact your credit card company and have them look into it , to be able to accept credit cards you need to be vetted - complaints about things like this dont look too well. telling them that you are going to pass over to your card company to sort out may give them the kick they need

JimmyWang214
12-09-04, 04:24 PM
contact your credit card company and have them look into it , to be able to accept credit cards you need to be vetted - complaints about things like this dont look too well. telling them that you are going to pass over to your card company to sort out may give them the kick they need

Excellent idea! Who would have thought that the big overpowering credit card company would work for the little man for once! This way I can just go buy my 6800 GT from another retalier (like Newegg, yes) instead of having to deal with Gameve's pooey QC and RMA staff

kahloq
12-09-04, 08:40 PM
They cannot legally charge you a restocking fee if the product is defective.

JimmyWang214
12-09-04, 11:15 PM

Well it appears to be in the Return policies of every online retalier except Mwave. Then again my Corporate Law professor said that those things are so full of holes you could drive a truck through them. He said he'll talk to his colleague about it.

Zelda_fan
12-10-04, 12:08 AM

technically they can do anything they want to you as long as they put it into the agreement you agree to abide by when you sign up. However, if you had a good lawyer, you could probably get aroudn it, but who wants to go through a $2000 laywer fee and hassle for a $400 card.

YOGIx213
12-10-04, 12:34 AM
I know this is obvious now, but to anyone else who is thinking of purchasing anything from Gameve, think twice. All those horrible reviews on pricewatch.com aren't just b.s. I was so close to buying an eVGA 6800 Ultra from them waaay back when it first was released but opted to order directly from PNY for theirs after reading all the negative feedback Gameve got. Don't get sucked in by the slim chance you may get a good deal, I will gladly pay a little more for quality service and excellent support.

superklye
12-10-04, 12:39 AM
I actually bought my GeFORCE 4 Ti4400 from them back in...January 2003 and, with standard shipping, it got from LA to Milwaukee OVERNIGHT.

Of course, it then got sent to Cleveland by mistake and I didn't get it until the following Tuesday, but whatever. They were fast and it got here, though not after a little excursion that they couldn't be blamed for.

I had a good experience, but after everything I've heard/read, I was lucky, I guess, and I don't think I'll ever purchase from them again.

Zelda_fan
12-10-04, 12:53 AM
I had a good experience from them too, but then again, I didn't have to RMA anything. Most places will ship the thing to you just fine, but what seperates good vendors from great vendros is how they handle RMA polocies.

superklye
12-10-04, 01:20 AM
I had a good experience from them too, but then again, I didn't have to RMA anything. Most places will ship the thing to you just fine, but what seperates good vendors from great vendros is how they handle RMA polocies.
ahh...I've only had to RMA two things: a defective Allied 500w PSU from NewEgg (damn thing fried my mobo) and my defective Kingston RAM.

Both were phenomenal in the whole process...I'm glad I haven't had to suffer some of the nightmares others have had to.

TheSmJ
12-10-04, 02:12 AM
I bought both my current eVGA 6800 GT and my AOpen Ti4600 (in Oct 2003) from GameVE. Had no problems at all.

I've had to RMA my 6800 GT, but I did that through eVGA rather than GameVE (it died after a couple months). Guess I made a good decision, if it was even under warranty from GameVE anymore.

JimmyWang214
12-10-04, 08:14 AM
technically they can do anything they want to you as long as they put it into the agreement you agree to abide by when you sign up. However, if you had a good lawyer, you could probably get aroudn it, but who wants to go through a $2000 laywer fee and hassle for a $400 card.

Usually just the threat of litigation is enough for companies to start wetting their pants. Besides, my teacher's doing some pro bono work :)