PDA

View Full Version : Steam down, HL2 single player unplayable with retail DVD/CD

Ruined
12-09-04, 04:00 PM
As of this writing, Steam is down, and I cannot play Half Life 2 single player using the retail DVD I bought. This is bull****, plain and simple. I can't even access steam options because I have to be logged in to do that, so I am blocked from running the game when I didn't even buy the damn thing online. What a load of ****.

Oh, and offline mode? What a joke, the game will do everything in its power to reset it back to online mode when you are connected.

Ninjaman09
12-09-04, 04:07 PM

Offline mode works fine, I have no idea what you're talking about. Just /release /renew and you're set. Steam tries to connect until it times out if your network adapter is running, which takes about a minute.

Lfctony
12-09-04, 04:33 PM
Steam working fine for me as well.

Ruined
12-09-04, 04:34 PM
It's back up now. I couldn't even get into the options of steam because I couldn't log into steam to set them, so I was locked out of the game.

Valve said I needed to authenticate *once* via steam and thats it, not that Steam would try to run every friggin time I played the game ,and if I set it to offline mode once i go online steam will attempt to reset the connection back to online mode. Total BS, Valve needs to release a patch to disable steam for single player, period.

you can see when it went down here:
http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202541
looks like it was down from 3:50PM to 4:03PM Steam time.

also, here is something from the valve/steam forums someone drew, which seems to be the general consensus there:
http://img102.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img102&image=vavle46pb.jpg

TacT
12-09-04, 06:21 PM
What's the problem? Disable internet connection - open steam, open hl2, play hl2, stop whining? (xmastong)

OMFGZ steam was down for an entire 13mins!111 Be right back, I need to call my lawyer..

oldsk00l
12-09-04, 06:33 PM
That's a really great game you bought there....lmao

OWA
12-09-04, 06:54 PM
Just force offline mode by blocking steam and half-life2 with whatever firewall you use (at least until you're done with the single player). You still have the annoying load time since it still tries to connect, etc. but at least you don't have to worry about being online to play a single player game.

Hopefully they'll release a patch at some point to remove steam as a requirement for SP and maybe that will help speed things up a bit.

superklye
12-09-04, 07:07 PM
That's a really great game you bought there....lmao
:rolleyes:

anzak
12-09-04, 07:21 PM
Im sorry Ruined but all of your problems seem be on your end. I have been playing Half-Life 2 while in online mode all day. Even if steam did go offline, offline mode works just fine.

Its funny that I have played Half-Life 2 or one of its mods every night since its release and have never had a problem. Your endless ranting about Half-Life 2 is annoying, if you don't like the game don't play it!

Vagrant Zero
12-09-04, 09:19 PM
Im sorry Ruined but all of your problems seem be on your end. I have been playing Half-Life 2 while in online mode all day. Even if steam did go offline, offline mode works just fine.

Its funny that I have played Half-Life 2 or one of its mods every night since its release and have never had a problem. Your endless ranting about Half-Life 2 is annoying, if you don't like the game don't play it!

Steam was offline for about 15 minutes. If you were in the game you might not have noticed it but I was trying to 'log in' to play offline. Got the "**** You Steam Ate Your Baby' error message. Had to wait to play offline [doesn't matter how long] for a game I paid $55 for.

Just because things were simply peachy for you doesn't mean the rest of us had rainbows shooting out of our arses as well.

GamerGuyX
12-09-04, 09:32 PM
Just because things were simply peachy for you doesn't mean the rest of us had rainbows shooting out of our arses as well.

Its true...

MUYA
12-09-04, 10:16 PM

Whats annoying or not or what is fit for these boards will be handled by Mods and Admin. Not by u thanks anzak, we don't need no pseudo mods here thanks.

MikeC
12-09-04, 11:22 PM
What's the problem? Disable internet connection - open steam, open hl2, play hl2, stop whining? (xmastong)

OMFGZ steam was down for an entire 13mins!111 Be right back, I need to call my lawyer..

Be quiet

Moot
12-09-04, 11:54 PM
also, here is something from the valve/steam forums someone drew, which seems to be the general consensus there:
http://img102.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img102&image=vavle46pb.jpg(rofl2) That's kinda funny, and makes me wish I could draw.

juego
12-15-04, 02:39 AM

You have to play to dislike....

Rakeesh
12-15-04, 07:41 AM
As of this writing, Steam is down, and I cannot play Half Life 2 single player using the retail DVD I bought. This is bull****, plain and simple. I can't even access steam options because I have to be logged in to do that, so I am blocked from running the game when I didn't even buy the damn thing online. What a load of ****.

You haven't even seen the worst of it. I have seen steam go offline for entire weekends at a time on more than one occasion, which is gay because that is the only chance I ever get to play these games.

And yes, they did have offline mode back then, but sometimes offline mode is indeed flaky when your net connection is active but the steam servers are simply down, which is probably related to some kind of anti-tampering DRM system.

Even though I didn't pay much for HL2, it still irritates the hell out of me what valve is doing. I am probably going to have to wait until next year before I can even play this game with all of the bugs they have in it.