PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

stubby
12-09-04, 04:26 PM
New interview with developers of Oblivion is out:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/oblivion1.php

This game is shaping up to be GOTY material.

"GB: How long has Oblivion been in development and what section of the game is currently being focused on the most?

Gavin: We’ve been hard at work on the game since just after we got Morrowind out of the door. No rest for the weary here! We started out by churning out huge documents filled with crazy ideas about how to make the greatest RPG ever, and then we chained our programmers to their desks until they made our ideas a reality.

GB: Tell us about some of the new environments around Tamriel we will be adventuring through during the game. Any favorite areas you're working on that you can detail for us?

Gavin: I fully believe that even though we’re one of the smallest development shops out there, we’ve got some of the most talented artists in the business working for us. The stuff they’re churning out on a daily basis is nothing short of jaw dropping. As far as environments go, a major emphasis for us was to pull off real, fully realized forests. We don’t feel like this environment has been tackled in a realistic way in games yet, so we decided that for Oblivion, we were up for the challenge. You can see in some of the screenshots we’ve released that we’re not just blowing smoke. We’ve gone all out, with hyper-realistic trees, special shaders for shadow and lighting effects, wind playing through the branches, and more. And trust me, the shots don’t compare at all to the experience of walking through these environments in the game.

GB: Due to the advanced features and sheer complexity of Oblivion, will current console systems like the Xbox and PS2 even be able to handle it? Or will we be seeing the game on the PC and next generation consoles only?

Gavin: We’ve billed Oblivion from the start as a next-generation game, with all the connotations of that designation. So the features we are really trying to push the envelope on – for instance, fully realized forests, dynamic around-the-clock NPC AI, unmatched graphical fidelity – really preclude the possibility of putting it on a current gen console system. Right from the start we envisioned Oblivion running on the next generation of PC and console hardware, and we’ve developed it to take full advantage of all the computing muscle those machines have to offer."

CaptNKILL
12-09-04, 05:21 PM
This game is going to be amazing. I cant wait :D :bounce:

Edge
12-09-04, 05:47 PM
We’ve billed Oblivion from the start as a next-generation game, with all the connotations of that designation. So the features we are really trying to push the envelope on – for instance, fully realized forests, dynamic around-the-clock NPC AI, unmatched graphical fidelity – really preclude the possibility of putting it on a current gen console system. Right from the start we envisioned Oblivion running on the next generation of PC and console hardware, and we’ve developed it to take full advantage of all the computing muscle those machines have to offer.

In other words, you're going to be upgrading your computer for this game :D

Sounds like an interesting game, hopefully it will eliminate some of the flaws Morrowind had (not to mention have less bugs...). It certainly looks pretty, at least. Oh, and this quote really perked my attention:

We demolished the Morrowind system of combat, and from its ashes arose something deeper, more engaging, and featuring a better blend of player skill vs. character skill. We threw out the wacky to-hit random rolls. Now if your sword hits an enemy, you’ve hit him, plain and simple.
FINALLY! That will be a nice change, I can't wait to see how the new combat system works out.

CaptNKILL
12-09-04, 06:46 PM
In other words, you're going to be upgrading your computer for this game :D

Sounds like an interesting game, hopefully it will eliminate some of the flaws Morrowind had (not to mention have less bugs...). It certainly looks pretty, at least. Oh, and this quote really perked my attention:

FINALLY! That will be a nice change, I can't wait to see how the new combat system works out.
I agree. I hate "dice rolling" in games like this. My sword shouldnt go through an enemy and do no damage because my sword skill is too low. I have been waiting YEARS for someone to do something like this, I hope they pull it off :)

superklye
12-09-04, 06:48 PM
I agree. I hate "dice rolling" in games like this. My sword shouldnt go through an enemy and do no damage because my sword skill is too low. I have been waiting YEARS for someone to do something like this, I hope they pull it off :)
So then how will your sword skill play a part in the game?

Edge
12-09-04, 07:07 PM
So then how will your sword skill play a part in the game?

It could have a variety of effects: damage, speed of attack, waiting period between attacks, ability to handle better swords, etc.. There's plenty of ways that a skill can affect something WITHOUT using a basic "did it work or did it not" formula. I'm hoping that battles will actually have a certain amount of physical interactivity to them, it would be cool if you could actually control your sword directly and parry enemy attacks or aim at specific body parts.

superklye
12-09-04, 07:19 PM
It could have a variety of effects: damage, speed of attack, waiting period between attacks, ability to handle better swords, etc.. There's plenty of ways that a skill can affect something WITHOUT using a basic "did it work or did it not" formula. I'm hoping that battles will actually have a certain amount of physical interactivity to them, it would be cool if you could actually control your sword directly and parry enemy attacks or aim at specific body parts.
It'd be even better with a gravity gun! :drooling:

SH64
12-09-04, 07:45 PM
wind playing through the branches
dynamic around-the-clock NPC AI

Sounds so darn sweet ! (xmasmile) (snowcool)

msxyz
12-10-04, 03:15 AM
You can find another Q & A session on the official forums. Bethesda developers were kind enough to answer to 20 questions posed by the community.