PDA

View Full Version : Pong: Source

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

superklye
12-09-04, 10:47 PM
Anyone else want to see this? I'd love to see what that crazy ball would do with the Source physics...hell, they could even put a gravity gun in THERE for some mayhem.

They should redo a bunch of old games in the Source engine:
System Shock 2
AvP2
Diablo 2
Darkstone

I think it would be fantastic

jAkUp
12-09-04, 10:49 PM
They should redo Descent or Pyro:)

Edge
12-09-04, 11:20 PM
I actually think the Doom 3 engine would be a better fit for System Shock 2 ;) . Unfortunatly I hear one group was working on it, and EA shut them down because they didn't want anyone making a mod off of the System Shock lisence :( . Darkstone though...there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. That was a silly but entertaining Diablo clone, might've been interesting if they made a sequel. To be honest though...an Ecco mod might be pretty original :D

jAkUp
12-09-04, 11:22 PM
I wanna see somebody redo the original sidescrolling mario bros :)

superklye
12-09-04, 11:25 PM
I actually think the Doom 3 engine would be a better fit for System Shock 2 ;) . Unfortunatly I hear one group was working on it, and EA shut them down because they didn't want anyone making a mod off of the System Shock lisence :( . Darkstone though...there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. That was a silly but entertaining Diablo clone, might've been interesting if they made a sequel. To be honest though...an Ecco mod might be pretty original :D

*sigh* those crazy dolphins...I saw that thread about Ecco in the general gaming section and thought it might be about the dolphin, but didn't check until now...hahaha...I remember the days in the early 90s playing Ecco: The Dolphin on my friend's Genesis...those were the days.

photophreak314
12-09-04, 11:31 PM
Redo the Descent series (or just #3) for sure. I haven't had a good game of that in a while. Descent 3 was hardcore in everyway when it came out WAY back in '99. The graphics were INSANE (decals, realtime reflections - first time I ever saw a mirror, and I was like "holy crap! another guy who looks just like me!" and started blasting away, until I realized it was matching my every move... I felt stupid. Wicked cool explosions with shock waves that were felt by the player, physics (basic, but still there), Awesome weapon effects... the list goes on and on.)

I think I'll load it up...

Somebody could do Duke Nukem, and maybe that would be out before Duke Nukem Forever, even if it took 10 years.

But pong would be cool. In a 2d/2bit colour/sound kindof way...

superklye
12-09-04, 11:34 PM
Redo the Descent series (or just #3) for sure. I haven't had a good game of that in a while. Descent 3 was hardcore in everyway when it came out WAY back in '99. The graphics were INSANE (decals, realtime reflections - first time I ever saw a mirror, and I was like "holy crap! another guy who looks just like me!" and started blasting away, until I realized it was matching my every move... I felt stupid. Wicked cool explosions with shock waves that were felt by the player, physics (basic, but still there), Awesome weapon effects... the list goes on and on.)

Somebody could do Duke Nukem, and maybe that would be out before Duke Nukem Forever, even if it took 10 years.

heh, the best part about Pong: Source? It would have sound stuttering and terribly long load times. :D

Edge
12-09-04, 11:51 PM
heh, the best part about Pong: Source? It would have sound stuttering and terribly long load times. :D

HAHA! I burst out laughing when I read that because I realised it's true. Heh, how much you wanna bet you'll be able to crash any servers running Pong Source by typing "cl_playermodel "models/paddle.mdl" in the console?

And yes, the Ecco thread in the main forum is what gave me the idea of an Ecco mod :) . Hanging Waters in Source...:drooling:

Ruined
12-10-04, 12:16 AM
pong: source would be especially exciting with Valve's SES Technology (Source Engine Stutter)! Just when you think you have the game sealed up tight, a nice 5-10 second stutter and your opponent is back in the game (xmasgrin)

superklye
12-10-04, 12:18 AM
see? isn't it nice that we can poke fun at VALVe without descending into mindless bitching/flaming of VALVe and one another (I'm not accusing anyone here of that, I'm merely pointing out a commonplace antic in threads involving discontent with HL2)?

jAkUp
12-10-04, 01:06 AM

Yes Descent 3 was the only game that could bring my system to its knees way back when... the graphics were totally nuts for a game of its time. They still arent even half bad :)

Check out this sad info on Descent 4:
http://hbredel.bei.t-online.de/Descent/Descent_4-English/descent_4-english.html

CaptNKILL
12-10-04, 02:09 AM
Im still up for working on a Cyberpunk mod for HL2... based on Shadowrun, but with a different name, different locations, etc... mostly to protect the copyrights.

The SDK is out, if anyone wants to try to pull one together, I've been planning for a while, so we could do it :)

oldsk00l
12-10-04, 10:45 AM
The only problem with Pong:Source is that you have to wait until a steam server is available to authenticate it :D

superklye
12-10-04, 11:16 AM
The only problem with Pong:Source is that you have to wait until a steam server is available to authenticate it :D
heh, i was gonna say something about this, too. :)

gmontem
12-10-04, 12:08 PM
I would like to see some of the Strong Bad games in Source. :D

CaptNKILL
12-10-04, 12:31 PM
Hey! Ive got it...

It could be a small, team based mod (or a well done HL2 DM map) where there are bases across from eachother, each with those large beams that carry the energy balls (from the later levels of HL2) near them. The energy balls would have to bounce longer (though they already bounce for quite a while) and the frequency that they appear in the beams would have to be reasonable to keep it manageable.

Heh, I think Im going to keep the rest to myself... ive got a lot of ideas for this one, I'll try to make it with the map editor. This would probably be really easy to make.:D

Hajile
12-10-04, 01:13 PM
How about putting in riot shields to deflect the balls instead of a paddle. It worked for Tron2.0. You use a tiny frisbee as a shield to deflect projectiles. Pretty close to 3D pong actually =)

superklye
12-10-04, 01:35 PM
Hey! Ive got it...

It could be a small, team based mod (or a well done HL2 DM map) where there are bases across from eachother, each with those large beams that carry the energy balls (from the later levels of HL2) near them. The energy balls would have to bounce longer (though they already bounce for quite a while) and the frequency that they appear in the beams would have to be reasonable to keep it manageable.

Heh, I think Im going to keep the rest to myself... ive got a lot of ideas for this one, I'll try to make it with the map editor. This would probably be really easy to make.:D

Man...you are putting waaaaay too much thought into this!

I was talking about:
| . |

and having that in Source

CaptNKILL
12-10-04, 02:42 PM
Man...you are putting waaaaay too much thought into this!

I was talking about:
| . |

Im half done with the map :D

I just dont know the entity names for those beams that carry the energy balls. Also, I cant seem to place any "info_player_deathmatch" entities in the hammer editor. What am I doing wrong? :p

oldsk00l
12-10-04, 02:52 PM
And then, we could have Godzilla running around after the ball too!!!!

gmontem
12-10-04, 04:01 PM
I was talking about:
| . |

Would be kind of neat to have a mod where the players are in a playing field trying to teamplaying/fragging each other while they avoid getting squished from a gigantic ball bouncing around as the computer tries to play its own game of Pong. Oooh they can also be in a pinball setting, too!

superklye
12-10-04, 05:56 PM
hahaha...this thread has turned into something magnificent. CaptN, if this pans out I get half the royalties because it was my idea. :) ;)

CaptNKILL
12-10-04, 09:41 PM
hahaha...this thread has turned into something magnificent. CaptN, if this pans out I get half the royalties because it was my idea. :) ;)
OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh no... you just wanted this:

| . |

... remember? :D

btw, my map is up and working now... but i still dont know how to place those energy ball beam things. Anyone know where i can get an entity description list for HL2?

Also, is there a way to delete faces of brushes in the Hammer Editor? I want to optimize it a little, and itd help to delete the back sides of the brushes, since they wont be seen.

Edge
12-10-04, 11:11 PM
OK, you have way to much time on your hands...but the fact that you actually put such a serious effort into such a silly idea almost gives me encouragement to work on my HL2DM map.

Oh, and there's a "nodraw" texture that can be applied to surfaces to keep them from being rendered. However the engine will automatically disgard any face that's on the outside of the level, as long as you don't have a leak and have run VIS.

CaptNKILL
12-10-04, 11:16 PM
OK, you have way to much time on your hands...but the fact that you actually put such a serious effort into such a silly idea almost gives me encouragement to work on my HL2DM map.

Oh, and there's a "nodraw" texture that can be applied to surfaces to keep them from being rendered. However the engine will automatically disgard any face that's on the outside of the level, as long as you don't have a leak and have run VIS.

Ah ok... thanks for the tip :)

... and it really isnt a silly idea... at least not the map im making. Its really going to kick ass :D

Though I dont think it will show its true potential until there is some sort of team based mod for HL2. I dont mean Team DM, I mean a mod with set spawn points for each team, and preferebly an objective.

Anyone want to work on a simple CTF mod? Maybe add some classes later? I really want to do this. This is a really nice engine to mod for (despite its flaws).