PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT Crashing when aa and af enabled

svemirac
12-10-04, 12:03 AM
Hi,
I purchased this eVga card about 5 months ago, used to overclock before, but since im basically just playing RtCW i stopped oc 3 months ago. Never had any problems using this card, untill today when i tried using antialiasing and anisothropic filtering. Looked great played for about 30min then my system hardlocked and the screen froze full of crazy squarish red/green symthrical artifacts all over. Rebooted then went to play again and again the same thing happened after 20+ minutes. took out the card cleaned just in case put back in and the same thing happened after some playing time. Turned off the aa and af and ive been playing for straight 2 hours (like always) and nothing happened.

Can please someone point me in the right direction, and help me out cause i also wanna enjoy this card to its full extent. Is that a common issue? Using the latest forceware drivers btw, and an a64 win2k box.

Any help highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

svemirac
12-10-04, 03:42 PM
anyone?

Parts
12-10-04, 06:22 PM
Whats your temps? I dunno how much extra strain AA/AF puts on the card, but im sure itd be enough for a few degree's, might be over heatin.

svemirac
12-11-04, 03:12 AM
One thing I didnt mention is that i dont have a dedicated power cable for my video card. card shares it with the fan and a floppy. I simply dont have a clean line to the card since i have 6 fans on my case:( . Could that be the reason ?

svemirac
12-12-04, 03:58 PM
any? :(

ynnek
12-12-04, 07:31 PM
well, I'd solve that first before trying anything else..

One thing I didnt mention is that i dont have a dedicated power cable for my video card. card shares it with the fan and a floppy. I simply dont have a clean line to the card since i have 6 fans on my case:( . Could that be the reason ?

MadPt
12-12-04, 11:25 PM

Indeed it could be that, try using a power cable just for the 6800, these new cards do use a lot of energy and as such there's no better solution than having it use a power cable alone. ;)

Also, what PSU do you use?
There is a chance your PSU is not feeding your whole system correctly.
A 400W PSU or better is a good idea.
The more hardware you have, the more power your rig will use but those fans shouldn't be a major problem. You could disable a few to see if the same happens.

It sound like your card is overheating while using FSAA and AF ( at least in RtCW ).
Since you play well without FSAA and AF, it does look like it's overheating or as Butter Bandit said, you might have a damaged card.
One more thing tough, you could be using beta drivers... try using the latest nV drivers from nvidia's website to see if the problem stops ( if you're not using them already ).
I don't have a 6800, maybe someone else could try playing RtCW and see if they have the same problem... anyone? :D