PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!

$n][pErMan
12-10-04, 12:09 AM
Ok .. every driver I use above 61.77 from nvidia gives me BSOD's. Same with the extreme G drivers also. Now... the BSOD is the SAME everytime. The file it points out is "portcls.sys". I dont know what type of driver this is or how it is effected. But it matters not if I do a clean install of drivers by uninstalling the old... or just install over the old. The BSOD happens everytime the same way ... with any drivers above 61.77. If anyone has any idea .. please help. Or at least have nvidia check this out. My system specs are in my sig. Thanks!

jolle
12-10-04, 05:30 AM
if you havent already, uninstall the Forceware driver, boot into safemode and run DriverCleaner to remove residual files from prev drivers..
Might help.

I had ex CS:S give me BSOD when i tried to close it everytime, seems like it helped to uninstall the driver, run drivercleaner and then reinstall..
Had been installing different drivers back and forth due to another issue..

$n][pErMan
12-10-04, 12:54 PM
boot into safemode and run DriverCleaner to remove residual files from prev drivers
Where can I get DriverCleaner? Or is it built into windows .. and if so... where? Thanks.

doddsy
12-10-04, 01:05 PM
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3214.html

read the "read me" before you use it.

$n][pErMan
12-10-04, 01:48 PM
Cool ... thanks.

Vagrant Zero
12-10-04, 02:39 PM
Tell us if it solves your problem.

$n][pErMan
12-10-04, 03:51 PM
Nope ... BSOD'ed once again .. with the SAME EXACT BSOD. I typed in portcls.sys on microsofts website and got this...

Port class/miniport driver model. An audio device that plugs into a backplane bus (PCI or ISA) should use the audio port class driver (PortCls.SYS) and a miniport driver.

What I dont get .. is how any nvidia diver above 61.77 could give me BSOD's that seem to piss off this file .. when it is audio related (im guessing). Im so lost now. Its a windows system file ... not even related to nvidia.

doddsy
12-10-04, 05:39 PM
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=30389&st=10

check out this thread.

it looks like it might be the onboard sound (and/or drivers for it......and possibly sp2) causing your problem.

there are some in the thread who were able to solve the problem.

racingx
12-10-04, 05:40 PM
[pErMan']Nope ... BSOD'ed once again .. with the SAME EXACT BSOD. I typed in portcls.sys on microsofts website and got this...

Port class/miniport driver model. An audio device that plugs into a backplane bus (PCI or ISA) should use the audio port class driver (PortCls.SYS) and a miniport driver.

What I dont get .. is how any nvidia diver above 61.77 could give me BSOD's that seem to piss off this file .. when it is audio related (im guessing). Im so lost now. Its a windows system file ... not even related to nvidia.

Have you tried to disable the Onboard sound and see if it clears the BSOD up?

$n][pErMan
12-10-04, 07:21 PM
Have you tried to disable the Onboard sound and see if it clears the BSOD up?

Yes .. its disabled in the motherboard. I have an Audigy 2 so I have no use for it.

$n][pErMan
12-10-04, 11:39 PM
If it helps give anyone any ideas... I've noticed it BSOD's the most in UT2004. Not so much in Half-Life 2 (maybe once every 2 hours... if that). It also BSOD'ed durring the sound test of 3DMark03. Looks like that SP2 link you sent me looks more probable... but still does not explain why it only does it on nvidia drivers above 61.77 for me. This is a very annoying issue.

Vagrant Zero
12-10-04, 11:48 PM
Try reverting back to SP1. See if the problems persist then.

$n][pErMan
12-10-04, 11:57 PM
That is whats so wierd. I have been using service pack 2 sence it came out with no issues. As soon as I update my nvidia drivers .. all hell breaks loose. So then I revert back to my 61.77 with system restore and all is good again. It makes 0 sense. Anyone know of a hotfix for this issue?

Annihlist
12-11-04, 12:15 AM
Hotfix = clean install hehe :)

$n][pErMan
12-11-04, 02:03 AM
Hotfix = clean install hehe
lol. I know for a fact it has to do with portcls.sys and sound. It makes no sense that the nvidia driver would piss it off.... but I went into UT2004 and disabled it from using the system driver for sound and as of yet no BSOD in that game (although sound is odd at some points). Perhaps I can find the old portcls.sys in the backup of SP1 that SP2 makes before install and then copy it over in safe mode. Hmmmm. Any more ideas?