PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 AI and Hitboxes flaws

Ruined
12-10-04, 12:14 AM
funny as hell :)

http://www.nofrag.com/fichiers/halflife2/videos/938/

-=DVS=-
12-10-04, 01:40 AM
Laughing out Loud , sad but true :eek2: , i feel cheated HalfLife 2 is overrated after all , it looked awesome at first but it just another game with good name. *cough*Doom3*cough*

Atleast CSS is fun :(

Vagrant Zero
12-10-04, 01:41 AM
Laughing out Loud , sad but true :eek2: , i feel cheated HalfLife 2 is overrated after all , it looked awesome at first but it just another game with good name. *cough*Doom3*cough*

Atleast CSS is fun :(

At least D3 had per-poly hit detection. Made a difference in how the phyics felt. Too bad all the monster burned up on death and we never really got a chance to see it in action.

Edge
12-10-04, 01:58 AM
Haha, I must admit that was pretty interesting. I did notice that blocking doors didn't seem to work...that must've been one damn strong table they used at E3 :retard:

CaptNKILL
12-10-04, 01:58 AM
:udawg:

That was hilarious :D

Im glad the game is the way it is though. The guns are pretty inacurate as it is, if the hitboxes were smaller it probably would have sucked.

Though that part where he blocked their view with a small jar was pretty freakin hilarious (in a sad kind of way). The AI deffinitely should respond to the players body (which I guess doesnt exist anyway) rather than just his "head".

I agree though, as great as this game is, the AI isnt anything better than any other game I have played. I still wish they would have scrapped it and gone with HL1's AI... at least then it wouldnt be so god damned CPU limited some times.

CaptNKILL
12-10-04, 02:03 AM
Haha, I must admit that was pretty interesting. I did notice that blocking doors didn't seem to work...that must've been one damn strong table they used at E3 :retard:
I figured it probably caused problems with the game. If the doors didnt have a lot of force behind them they could get stuck on small objects.

Also, you can block doors if you do it right. Just put something in the way of the door so they cant get to it and they wont even attempt to move it or even walk toward it, pushing it out of the way. I had a lot of fun with this during one of the buggy levels where you go into a house and then its swarmed by Combine... i put objects in the way of the doors (inside and out) and they couldnt get in. I played that one scene about 10 times... its a lot of fun trying different ways to defend a house :D

Vagrant Zero
12-10-04, 02:16 AM
I figured it probably caused problems with the game. If the doors didnt have a lot of force behind them they could get stuck on small objects.

Also, you can block doors if you do it right. Just put something in the way of the door so they cant get to it and they wont even attempt to move it or even walk toward it, pushing it out of the way. I had a lot of fun with this during one of the buggy levels where you go into a house and then its swarmed by Combine... i put objects in the way of the doors (inside and out) and they couldnt get in. I played that one scene about 10 times... its a lot of fun trying different ways to defend a house :D

Meh, I just stood outside, run right in front of the dropships and let the combines jump right in front of me. Shotgun blast to the back before they hit the ground.

nutcrackr
12-10-04, 06:32 AM
bah, that's the best they can do? It truly is the best game ever.

Toss3
12-10-04, 06:34 AM
uhm... heh that was a hilarious video... :) but didn't the E3 video show that they put a table under the doorhandle so that they couldn't open the door? they didn't show the part where the combine tried to open the door, but couldn't since there was a table under the handle...
haha I've got to try the trick with covering only ur face :D and IMO this was the first game with a gravity gun and an advanced physics engine, so maybe they didn't notice this when they tested it? who would actually think that covering only ur face would prevent ur enemies from seeing u? :) so maybe they'll fix this in hl3 now that they know about it :)

but (cheers) and (xmassign2 to everyone!!

Riptide
12-10-04, 08:32 AM
Wow just watched that video and there are definitely a few spots there where the AI really seems rather stupid.

There was a spot or two though that I felt like saying "So what?". Such as when he was shooting out of the vent at the combine on the other side. How else was it supposed to handle that situation? I agree that it seems rather dumb that they just kept coming anyway but I'm just not sure what else anyone would expect in a spot like that where there was no alternate angle of attack (that I could notice).

Rakeesh
12-10-04, 08:38 AM
Couldn't they have just shot through the chainlink fense? I mean he shot one of them a few times, then just sat there and got nothing but a stare.

jAkUp
12-10-04, 09:04 AM
I thought the AI in FarCry was terrible. So buggy, they would run straight at you after 10 guys die in the same place, and I'm just crouched in the bushes, and sometimes they would get "stuck" and not even move at all.

The HL2 AI wasn't great either though... well, sometimes it seemed like it was good, enemies would shoot me through windows and such, then other times it seemed terrible.

Lfctony
12-10-04, 09:51 AM
I found the game quite hard in general, alsmost impossible at certain places, despite what this video shows. I enjoyed it more than both Farcry and Doom 3. It's not perfect, nobody claimed it is. But it certainly is one of the best games ever, at least for me.