PDA

View Full Version : AA does not work with Chronicles of Riddick

wazooda
12-10-04, 12:31 AM
Got the game today and am running a 6800U with 67.02 drivers.

Hard to crank down res to 1024x768 (1600x1024 was running slow) so after it was working nicely I decided to turn on AA at the control panel.

Menu ingame works great (best option menu I have seen in ANY game, period)... but once a level loads, framerate drops to approx 1 frame every five seconds... seriously.

Eventually the system recognizes the escape key which returns the in game menu and enables me to exit.

Anyone else have this prob?

Wazoo

BTW - I just tried 4XAA....

Dr.Nick
12-10-04, 06:29 PM
Drop the shader from 2.0++ to 2.0 and you'll be able to play at 1600x1200 with everything maxed in the game;) I also had the same slowdowns with mine and fastwrites was the issue. Disable it in bios.

Edit- I dont think AA works in this game. Almost all Xbox ports are the same way:(

Merefield
12-10-04, 06:40 PM
Yeah, definitely switch off AA. It runs much better without.

/edit Correction, its not AA that matters, its shader setting. Lower it to 2.0 as Dr. Nick suggests (for 6800 cards at least)

My problem with this game is that it seems to expose the worst feature of the 6800 series (I have a GT); Shimmering. I've never been so distracted by it in a game despite realising that this title could be something special.

Has anyone have any tips on how to minimise shimmering this for this game? Its driving me crazy and makes me think that whilst the 6800 is powerful it is utterly flawed.

Dr.Nick
12-10-04, 06:56 PM
Install the 67.03 drivers and set Negative LOD Bias to Clamp.
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_67.03.html

wazooda
12-10-04, 07:12 PM
Yeah, definitely switch off AA. It runs much better without.

My problem with this game is that it seems to expose the worst feature of the 6800 series (I have a GT); Shimmering. I've never been so distracted by it in a game despite realising that this title could be something special.

Has anyone have any tips on how to minimise shimmering this for this game? Its driving me crazy and makes me think that whilst the 6800 is powerful it is utterly flawed.

YES! I was assuming that the shimmering was related to the lack of being able to turn on AA.

But I agree entirely. Whatever it is (and I assume that this is what people mean by "shimmering"... although it also seems more like "crawling" would be a good adjective as well), it is EXTREMELY distracting in this game.

BTW - I did try clamping with 67.02 and it makes no difference; one of the reasons why I was thinking it was AA related.... Maybe I'll try 67.03.

Merefield
12-10-04, 07:15 PM
<I>Install the 67.03 drivers and set Negative LOD Bias to Clamp. </I>

Ah, I'm running the 67.02's and have -ve LOD Bias to Clamp and its not really helping much. Will download and install 67.03's, thanks

Merefield
12-10-04, 08:21 PM
OK, perhaps I realise what's going on here a little better.

Wazooda you are right with your initial conclusion ... the "Shimmering" of which I speak seems to be more of an edge artifact, perhaps an AA issue. With no AA, the edges seem to "shimmer" a lot as you move. This is not helped by the fact that this game simulates natural body "sway" so your view is never exactly stationary. Of course, as you raise the resolution, the edge artifacts get smaller but are still present without AA. And you can't seem to force AA on in this game using the Control Panel. Anyone else got thoughts on this? Is there any way we can force this game to accept an AA setting?

wazooda
12-10-04, 09:41 PM
Ok... I figured out part of the problem.

AA works.. but just not when Shader 2.0++ is selected (which was my default for the video card). I brought it down to Shader 2.0 and can now run 1600x1024 with 4xAA.

It does help somewhat with the shimmer/crawl.... but it still is annoying.

However, I think that might be a driver issue and not the game engine.

Wazoo

Darkoz
12-11-04, 12:14 AM
I'm picking this game up next week, what's your impressions of it so far?
Any chance of posting a few screenshots?........

Lfctony
12-11-04, 12:40 AM
It's a bit short, but it got good reviews on the Xbox. I'm currently waiting for BFME and might pick this one up when I have some extra cash.

DRen72
12-17-04, 11:58 AM
I agree about the shimmering in this game. I currently run the 67.02 Extreme G drivers and even so, certain parts of this game induce the worst shimmering I've ever seen in any game, and thats at 1600x1200 resolution.

However, the game is awesome!!!

hemicuda26
12-20-04, 10:40 AM
DRen I absolutely agree. I run in 1680x1050 and the game looks and feels amazing except for the terrible shimmering which I can get over I guess.

Fantastic game! (xmasgrin)

K007
12-20-04, 09:04 PM
BFME isen't really fun, it was one of those games where it was hyped like doom3/hl2.

Vagrant Zero
12-21-04, 01:46 AM
BFME isen't really fun, it was one of those games where it was hyped like doom3/hl2.

I rather enjoyed it.