PDA

View Full Version : Doom Shareware was Released on this Day...

jAkUp
12-10-04, 09:14 AM
So... how do you remember the original Doom?

I remember flying around with noclip and weapons cheat :)

six_storm
12-10-04, 09:28 AM
I remember as a little kid going to a local Flea Market in Nashville and seeing this guy standing out in the open with a PC playing Doom (Maybe an ID employee? Doubt it, but wouldn've been cool). He was saying something like "This is the wave of the future." I thought that the game was mind blowing with its graphics and action. My parents didn't have the $30 to cough up back then and I never got the full version of the game when it first came out. BUT, I did buy the shareware version from WalMart soon afterwards!

I thought was game was mesmerizing. Once I sat down in front of my PC, everything else around me was completly tuned out and I was lost in the world of Doom. Great job ID!

Seoulstriker
12-10-04, 09:36 AM
Going over to the neighbor's house and having three people watch one person play doom. And then getting scared of something that pops up on the screen. :) (snowcool)

Vagrant Zero
12-10-04, 12:38 PM
So... how do you remember the original Doom?

I remember flying around with noclip and weapons cheat :)

I remember sacrificing my [social] life to the Doom Gods.

Doom was all consuming.

nVidi0t
12-10-04, 04:10 PM
I remember I was begging for a new PC so I could play it. My PC at the time was ~33mhz with too little free space to install Doom, this is with EVERYTHING deleted.

lol, old times.

ynnek
12-10-04, 11:53 PM
having my older friends, older bro's and friends sneak me into their Rutgers computer lab, and loading up a 4 player lan game of Doom on some pretty fast computers with huge monitors... Funny thing was all the letters were rubbed off the keyboard, but it really didn't matter...

Then having the patch come out for modem play.. and one by one getting my friends into it.. trouble is, it didn't like to play with any sort of compression, so it sometimes took a while to figure out what AT init command to send to your modem to turn it off.. then try to explain it to a friend that literally knew nothing about comptuers on how to set it up.. took anywhere from 5 mins to 50 mins.

msxyz
12-11-04, 03:20 AM
Since I was already a great fan of Wolfenstein3D I was eagerly waiting for Doom. The shareware version, however, didn't impress me aside from the technical pow. In brief: shooting nazis was more fun. It was until Heretic that I didn't fully realize the capabilities of the Doom engin. (history may be repeating itself, though: we all know Raven is currently making Quake IV with the Doom 3 engine )

On the same day of Doom, or little after, came another "3D corridor" shoter: Blakestone made by Apogee/3Drealms. It used an heavily modified Wolfenstein engine and while it was less advanced than Doom, I found it more addicting: yuo could use lifts for going from one area to another, vendor machines distributed health and power ups, you could talk with people and find useful informations.

LMA
12-11-04, 11:34 AM
Doom just blew my mind... greatest game ever, I still play it every now and then.

Peoples-Agent
12-11-04, 11:47 PM
It's just such a grimey threatening gaming world... the crashing of the exploding barrels, the enemies screams, the crunching of the weird pink things biting at you ...wailing of the flying red blob things LOL
And my fave Doom moment ...room full of barrels in a big circle, shoot one and they all go kabooom! love that part!

WeReWoLf
12-13-04, 05:43 PM
I got the collectors edition of Doom 3 which came with Doom 1, 2, Final Doom, Doom 3 and Behind the Scenes of Id. I just had to get it... So yes, i still play the original doom games.