PDA

View Full Version : I can get... should I....

$n][pErMan
12-10-04, 02:02 PM
I currently have an XP2800+ .. but can only OC to whats listing in my sig because its both locked via Voltage and MULT. My question is... I can get an XP3200+ for $130 .... is it worth it? WOuld I notice any real increase in any games? Or should I spend $15 and get an unlocking card and unlock my current CPU and OC that a little more with just my stock fans and heatsink?

Pandora's Box
12-10-04, 02:09 PM
just keep the 2800+. dont buy anything. save up for amd 64.

DiscipleDOC
12-10-04, 02:22 PM
just keep the 2800+. dont buy anything. save up for amd 64.
Good advice. No need of spending money on technology that will be dated soon.

superklye
12-10-04, 02:32 PM
Good advice. No need of spending money on technology that will be dated soon.
dated soon? Socket A was dead a month ago.

Slyder
12-10-04, 02:46 PM
dated soon? Socket A was dead a month ago.

lol.. thats funny. Socket A still has a good few months left to go yet. Well, month or two ;)

$n][pErMan
12-10-04, 02:52 PM
Well I guess that anwsers my question on the CPU ... on the other hand .. is it even worth paying $15 for the CPU unlocker to OC my chip more? Or is my current OC with my setup more than enough to get me buy till spring / summer when I move to 64-bit? All my games work great now... just wonder if OC'ing past my simple locked OC would add any real increase in performance.

superklye
12-10-04, 02:59 PM
[pErMan']Well I guess that anwsers my question on the CPU ... on the other hand .. is it even worth paying $15 for the CPU unlocker to OC my chip more? Or is my current OC with my setup more than enough to get me buy till spring / summer when I move to 64-bit? All my games work great now... just wonder if OC'ing past my simple locked OC would add any real increase in performance.
I know how you feel, because I've been there before...just be happy with what you've got. Before you know it, you've fried your CPU and mobo. :)

$n][pErMan
12-10-04, 03:06 PM
Good advise. I guess my AMD XP2800+ OC'ed @ 2.17ghz w/ 346FSB will have to suffice. Although I know I could do so much more with stock fan and sink with the unlocker card.... but as you said ... if I ended up frying my stuff.... I would be forced to buy 64-bit now.. when in a few months the new stuff will be out... lowering the price of the current 64-bit stuff (xmastong)

Pandora's Box
12-10-04, 03:21 PM
yeah seriously dude. i was like you till yesterday, trying to squeeze every last mhz out of my xp 2700+. yesterday i said f it and grabbed a amd 64 and mobo.

Bill The Cat
12-11-04, 02:59 AM
Is this the Sniperman who hangs around the USSR UT2004 boards and forum?

Sorry to thread crap if you're not him. Just found it odd.

$n][pErMan
12-11-04, 03:07 AM
Is this the Sniperman who hangs around the USSR UT2004 boards and forum?
Haha .. yes it would be acctually (santa2)

Bill The Cat
12-11-04, 02:42 PM
Last night you were bitching about that BSOD. Ever get it fixed? (I'm crazyivan84)

$n][pErMan
12-11-04, 03:13 PM
^ acctually I have a thread about it on these forums
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42159
To awnser your question though.... yes and no. I did not get a BSOD (so far) in ut2004 once I disabled it from using the system driver for sound. However this is only a temp fix as I hsould be able too. Check out that thread as it explains my issues in much more detail. (snowcool)

quik_2_win
12-14-04, 10:50 PM
Sniperman-
How do you like that KT880 board? I am thinking of getting one and would appreciate some feedback. As far as your upgrade, have you considered putting a Mobile Barton in there? They are even less expensive than the 3200+. I have one that I bought nearly a year ago that is running 2.43 Ghz on 1.65 Vcore. I would certainly recommend going that direction with the rest of the good hardware that you already have. Oh, and when you install it, push the FSB up to at least 200 if you have decent RAM-

Pandora's Box
12-14-04, 10:59 PM
to be honest i dont see why people buy the amd xp mobiles. no point buying old tech.

Cota
12-14-04, 11:08 PM
to be honest i dont see why people buy the amd xp mobiles. no point buying old tech.

Price

A mobile athlon xp 2500+ goes for like $85 bucks

vs

new Athlon 64 mobo/cpu upwards $230 bucks

The athlon xp still has a little life left, once the A64s go below $100 they will be the natural choice IMO.

$n][pErMan
12-15-04, 12:03 AM
Sniperman-
How do you like that KT880 board? I am thinking of getting one and would appreciate some feedback. As far as your upgrade, have you considered putting a Mobile Barton in there? They are even less expensive than the 3200+. I have one that I bought nearly a year ago that is running 2.43 Ghz on 1.65 Vcore. I would certainly recommend going that direction with the rest of the good hardware that you already have. Oh, and when you install it, push the FSB up to at least 200 if you have decent RAM-

Its a very nice motherboard. Probbaly one of the best you can buy for the XP series of CPU's. It supports everything (even has 8-ch audio if you dont have a good sound card). Im sure you have looked at its specs so I will not spit them out here. What I really like is the duel SATA raid. And you can find this motherboard for around $100 which is amazing as its one of the best out. To boil it down... I would recommend this motherboard to anyone.

As for MY upgrade.... im just sticking with my small OC to my XP2800+ and waiting till summer or spring to get a 64-bit CPU when they come down in price. :)

Pandora's Box
12-15-04, 12:12 AM
Price

A mobile athlon xp 2500+ goes for like $85 bucks

vs

new Athlon 64 mobo/cpu upwards $230 bucks

The athlon xp still has a little life left, once the A64s go below $100 they will be the natural choice IMO.

ok put it this way...

if you already have a athlon xp system dont upgrade to a athlon xp mobile. save up and grab athlon 64.

if you dont have a athlon xp system and want to upgrade. and your cpu budget is 100 max athlon xp mobile is a viable option.

mattkenn_4545
12-15-04, 04:19 AM
I dont know but I think my setup isn't to bad but I agree socket A is quickly becoming "old" technology.