PDA

View Full Version : HA! and i thought halo was unstable

nVidiaGuru
12-10-04, 01:35 PM
hang on im gonna need to toke up for this one

(cough cough)

ahem

The first thing that stands out about source is its inability to execute itself properly. Normally i dont mak these kind of posts BUT this game did something that i thought could never be surpassed. Its actually more unstable than Halo PC. I get 1 of 3 errors everytime i play CSs usualy no more than 10 min into playing, either the memory error, a BSOD, or a freeze and a crash to desktop. Halo would get a BSOD usualy every other time i played. ALL my other games run perfectly fine, and there no walk in the park to run (D3, Farcry, Halo, CoD). Could just be my system but i know others are having issues too

I hope they fix these issues cuz the engine looks great

mattkenn_4545
12-10-04, 02:19 PM
Well first thing id say is try lowering you overclock and see what happens. That is one heafty oc. Halo has nevercrashed or displayed any abnormal activity. Half-life 2 does have some underlying bugs but never has is "crashed" just stoped for a second and shuttered for a few seccond afterwards but thats it. I know you already know this proably but stress test with prime 95 for 12+ hrs with priority set to high then if that passes run memtest for 5+ hrs only then will you know if your system is truely stable.

Vagrant Zero
12-10-04, 02:31 PM
I get the same problems he has and my system is completely stock. It's not the OC, it's Source.

anzak
12-10-04, 03:52 PM
I have never had a problem with the source engine. I don't know what you people are doing to cause these problems.

gmontem
12-10-04, 03:55 PM
I know you already know this proably but stress test with prime 95 for 12+ hrs with priority set to high then if that passes run memtest for 5+ hrs only then will you know if your system is truely stable.
What he/she said.

einstein_314
12-10-04, 05:04 PM
I'd say it's not the games, it your machine. I have both Halo PC and HL2 and I have yet to have a single crash in either of them. They run flawlessly.

Vagrant Zero
12-10-04, 05:09 PM
I don't know what you people are doing to cause these problems.

We're playing the game with our eyes open.

superklye
12-10-04, 05:58 PM
SH*T! No WONDER I couldn't figure out what was going on ever...I had my eyes CLOSED. :rolleyes:

I have also never had any problems, and funny enough, I was and continue to play with my eyes open.

einstein_314
12-10-04, 06:17 PM

Ah, you play with your eyes open. Well, so do I and I havn't had any problems.

Mr. Hunt
12-10-04, 07:12 PM
I take what Vagrant Zero in more of a "I play the games and actually notice the bugs, and don't blindly dismiss them because "OMGZZORZ IT IS TEH HAELF LIEF TO!"... but I might be wrong... but that is how I am reading his message.

superklye
12-10-04, 07:39 PM
I take what Vagrant Zero in more of a "I play the games and actually notice the bugs, and don't blindly dismiss them because "OMGZZORZ IT IS TEH HAELF LIEF TO!"... but I might be wrong... but that is how I am reading his message.
I know what he meant and how he meant. He wants to be a smart ass? Well, so do I.

Vagrant Zero
12-10-04, 07:44 PM
I know what he meant and how he meant. He wants to be a smart ass? Well, so do I.

http://www.crazyhorse-tattoo.com/crybaby.jpg

superklye
12-10-04, 09:18 PM
http://www.crazyhorse-tattoo.com/crybaby.jpg
your image didn't show, but since it's called crybaby I'll assume that's what it is. how am I being a crybaby by throwing back at you what you gave to me? If I was whining and complaining to the mods, maybe, but I'm not.

nVidiaGuru
12-11-04, 03:32 AM
It seems that when i disable AA the game becomes more stable, i havent had a chance to test it very much yet, so ill leave it at that

scott123
12-11-04, 08:36 AM
hang on im gonna need to toke up for this one

(cough cough)

ahem

The first thing that stands out about source is its inability to execute itself properly. Normally i dont mak these kind of posts BUT this game did something that i thought could never be surpassed. Its actually more unstable than Halo PC. I get 1 of 3 errors everytime i play CSs usualy no more than 10 min into playing, either the memory error, a BSOD, or a freeze and a crash to desktop. Halo would get a BSOD usualy every other time i played. ALL my other games run perfectly fine, and there no walk in the park to run (D3, Farcry, Halo, CoD). Could just be my system but i know others are having issues too

I hope they fix these issues cuz the engine looks great

Key words here..... it is likely your system. HL2 or CS/S has never crashed once on me.

saturnotaku
12-11-04, 08:38 AM
Key words here..... it is likely your system. HL2 or CS/S has never crashed once on me.

QFT. The only time HL2 has ever crashed on me was when I had my system overclocked too much. Other than that, it's been absolutely stable.

PSYCHODAD
12-11-04, 01:20 PM
I have never had a problem with the source engine. I don't know what you people are doing to cause these problems.
No problems here either.

PSYCHODAD
12-11-04, 01:21 PM
SH*T! No WONDER I couldn't figure out what was going on ever...I had my eyes CLOSED. :rolleyes:

I have also never had any problems, and funny enough, I was and continue to play with my eyes open.
he he, good one! (snowlol)

msxyz
12-12-04, 03:05 AM
Aside from what it looks like a memory leak (Vampire has this, too) I never had a crash with HL2 even when playing for hours

rewt
12-12-04, 04:10 AM
Everyone's system is different. You people not having any problems, just consider yourself lucky. Don't come on here telling people it's their system causing the problems. It is untrue. The fact is there are multiple issues with the source engine that are causing problems with people's systems. If you had read the steam forums you would have known that :rolleyes: There are threads involving these issues that have been viewed hundreds of thousands of times. That should ring a bell in your head right away "Hmm. If soo many people are having issues with the game, maybe it really IS the engine causing the problems!".

anzak
12-12-04, 04:27 AM

I don't dismiss them, I just dont have them. The only problem I had was sound stuttering, and that did not crash or BSOD my system. The sound stuttering issue was also fixed within two or three days of the games release.

QFT. The only time HL2 has ever crashed on me was when I had my system overclocked too much. Other than that, it's been absolutely stable.

Ditto. Half-Life 2 seems to be VERY sensitive to memory overclocking. Even when prime 95 was totally stabe hl2 would give me the memory leak error.

rewt
12-12-04, 04:40 AM
Half-Life 2 seems to be VERY sensitive to memory overclocking. Even when prime 95 was totally stabe hl2 would give me the memory leak error.

That right there should tell your there is a problem with source engine!

It seems that when i disable AA the game becomes more stable, i havent had a chance to test it very much yet, so ill leave it at that

Same thing here. But I almost despise playing the game with no AA. I have a 17" monitor and the highest res still jaggy. Altho I almost have to play with no AA or I get freeze ups. Sometimes the game completely freeze up my primary display an the only way to get out of the game is to use Dualview and close it with the task manager.

saturnotaku
12-12-04, 08:53 AM

The only thing it tells me is that Half-Life 2 is sensitive to memory overclocking and I should back off because I'm having problems.

Ninjaman09
12-12-04, 03:51 PM
:wtf:

I had a few problems with stability while my system was O/Ced, backed off my O/Cs, and it is perfectly fine now.