PDA

View Full Version : To jakUp (or anyone else with evga 6800u and nv5)

Pages : [1] 2

ggp159
12-10-04, 05:57 PM
Sorry for this but am new to 6800 Ultra and i would like to ask something. I have eVga 6800 U with nv 5. There are two temps in the drivers: Ambient and GPU. When u guys are referring to idle and load is idle=Ambient? How do u measure these temps? I get ambient 34c gpu 52c. My psu is 400W with 16A on 12v line. I have no case fans no lights. When i was playing doom 3 in ultra quality the computer shut down and i could only switch it back on after 5 minutes. Any suggestion to all this? I am not sure if it's power supply related because i do not get any message from the drivres. Thanks

einstein_314
12-10-04, 06:13 PM
When people refer to the idle temp, it is simply what it suggests, the temp when the card is doing nothing but say showing the desktop. This means no applications running that use the card (games and such things). The load temp that everyone refers to is the temp that the card runs at when under a full load. This is commonly measured by running rthdribl (google search it to find a download). Run it for a half hour and whatever your temp is is your full load temp. The core temp reading in the control panel refers to...oddly enough...the temperature of the core. The ambient temp refers to the temp around the card (I think, correct me if I'm wrong somebody). These values will go up as you apply a load to your card.

Now, regarding your problem. So I'm assuming that those temps you stated are idle temps. Those look fine to me. Although I am concerned about you having no case fans. I'd run rthdribl and find out what temp the card goes to under a load. My ultra idles at 53 core, 38 ambient and goes up to 78 core and 51 ambient.

What are the rest of your specs? It may be somthing else screwing up (maybe the cpu over heating with no air circulation?) Has this problem repeated itself or did it only happen once?

ggp159
12-10-04, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the reply einstein. I have AMD 3500+ S939 stock cooling no oc, Asus AV8 Deluxe 1Gb pc 3200, DVDR plextor 712A and tha's about it really.I happened only once in doom 3.

ggp159
12-10-04, 06:53 PM
i did the test for the temps and i got 80 for gpu and 48 for ambient how is that? Something else i did not mention before is that the card is brand new and has never worked with the stock cooler. Nv5 was installed before the firsr boot up. is that relevant? Thanks

Lfctony
12-11-04, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the reply einstein. I have AMD 3500+ S939 stock cooling no oc, Asus AV8 Deluxe 1Gb pc 3200, DVDR plextor 712A and tha's about it really.I happened only once in doom 3.

You're running it a bit tight there. 16A on the 12V isn't that weak, but you provide a lot of power to your 3500 while gaming. Combine that with the 6800U and Doom 3, I'd say your power supply is giving up. Try to change drivers to eliminate that possibility, but I'd guess it's your PSU, as most shut-down problems are related to. Happened to me in the past, my PC would shut down with my 5900 when running demanding benchmarks like 3DM03.

bkswaney
12-11-04, 12:34 AM
I do not have a 6800u but
I run my card at the ultra 400/1100 speeds
and I have a NV5.

My idle temp runs around 58-59.
My load temps run from 78 to 81max.

I would say u need a new PSU if
all your drivers are up to date and all.
These cards eat a LOT of power.

jAkUp
12-11-04, 01:26 AM
Ah well, got to this too late :) I see the answer was already given :)

nIghtorius
12-11-04, 07:24 AM
Don't underestimate the need of a GOOD PSU with high-end hardware. A good PSU for example is a Enermax 465VE GFM 460W which delivers 33A on the +12v rail.

bkswaney
12-11-04, 07:55 AM
I'm a big X-Connect PSU fan myself.
Great reviews on it and only 99.00 bucks
for a 500watt unit. :)

Lfctony
12-11-04, 08:18 AM
Tagan is good. Pricey, but good.

nIghtorius
12-11-04, 10:36 AM
I'm a big X-Connect PSU fan myself.
Great reviews on it and only 99.00 bucks
for a 500watt unit. :)

Got me curious... I have read some reviews about it.. I can tell you this..

That's one mighty fine PSU u got there (cheers)

einstein_314
12-11-04, 05:54 PM
i did the test for the temps and i got 80 for gpu and 48 for ambient how is that? Something else i did not mention before is that the card is brand new and has never worked with the stock cooler. Nv5 was installed before the firsr boot up. is that relevant? Thanks

Those temps sound fine to me. Has the problem of your computer shutting down and not starting for 5 minutes repeated itself? Or was it a one time thing? The fact that the Nv5 was installed before the first boot up should make any difference.

ggp159
12-11-04, 06:26 PM
Those temps sound fine to me. Has the problem of your computer shutting down and not starting for 5 minutes repeated itself? Or was it a one time thing? The fact that the Nv5 was installed before the first boot up should make any difference.

It has not repeated(playing Far Cry with HDR) but i think i have insufficient cooling in my case. Actually i got 88 with the test and when i repeated it with my case open i got 82. Something else, when i click on Advanced in display settings and everytime i change something in the drivers cpl and hit apply is the monitor supposed to flash momentarily like i am changing resolution? Also happens when i right-click on an avi or xvid or video file icon on the desktop(the weird thing is that it does this only with video files no other icons). Any suggestions please?

ggp159
12-11-04, 06:44 PM
Nope i spoke too soon. the shut down repeated itself when i loaded nalu demo for the second time.

einstein_314
12-11-04, 07:09 PM
For the silencer to work ideally, you should have case fans. a couple of them. One or two at the front sucking in, and one at the back blowing out. with no air being forced into the case, the silencer is doing all the work of sucking the air in through any holes in your case, and probably not doing a very good job. If there is a dead spot (a spot where there is no air circulation) under the silencer, it won't be able to do it's job effectively.

Nope i spoke too soon. the shut down repeated itself when i loaded nalu demo for the second time.

So it shut itself down and wouldn't let you start it up for 5 minutes? That's really weird, I can't say I've ever heard of that before.

ggp159
12-11-04, 07:12 PM
For the silencer to work ideally, you should have case fans. a couple of them. One or two at the front sucking in, and one at the back blowing out. with no air being forced into the case, the silencer is doing all the work of sucking the air in through any holes in your case, and probably not doing a very good job. If there is a dead spot (a spot where there is no air circulation) under the silencer, it won't be able to do it's job effectively.

So it shut itself down and wouldn't let you start it up for 5 minutes? That's really weird, I can't say I've ever heard of that before.

Thanks for the info. It wasn't for 5 minutes this time i just unplugged the power cord from the pc then back in and it was on again. What about the flashing thing that i mention at an earlier post?

einstein_314
12-11-04, 07:45 PM
What drivers are you using? And what is your power supply. And when you say your computer shuts down, do you mean it just shuts off? Does it blue screen or lock up first?

ggp159
12-11-04, 08:01 PM
What drivers are you using? And what is your power supply. And when you say your computer shuts down, do you mean it just shuts off? Does it blue screen or lock up first?

67.03 drivers it just shuts off. 400W power supply q-tec. i am talking about the flashing like ur changing desktop resolution as i mentioned earlier.

ggp159
12-12-04, 11:38 AM
It has not repeated(playing Far Cry with HDR) but i think i have insufficient cooling in my case. Actually i got 88 with the test and when i repeated it with my case open i got 82. Something else, when i click on Advanced in display settings and everytime i change something in the drivers cpl and hit apply is the monitor supposed to flash momentarily like i am changing resolution? Also happens when i right-click on an avi or xvid or video file icon on the desktop(the weird thing is that it does this only with video files no other icons). Any suggestions please?

Can somebody please explain to me the red part of this quote?

nIghtorius
12-12-04, 12:00 PM
[/COLOR]

Can somebody please explain to me the red part of this quote?

mine flashes too when I have set fullscreen overlay to my 2nd display or TV. it does this so whenever a overlay is created/destroyed..

my assumption:

windows preview creates a overlay (blanks) (for what reason I don't know).. renders it to the preview image.. destroys the overlay (blank over / normal screen).. this is the only explaination I can give..

ggp159
12-12-04, 12:24 PM
mine flashes too when I have set fullscreen overlay to my 2nd display or TV. it does this so whenever a overlay is created/destroyed..

my assumption:

windows preview creates a overlay (blanks) (for what reason I don't know).. renders it to the preview image.. destroys the overlay (blank over / normal screen).. this is the only explaination I can give..

Is there a way to disable this? Is very irritating!!!

nIghtorius
12-12-04, 12:34 PM
Is there a way to disable this? Is very irritating!!!

After searching for a while..

go to your display's advanced settings select "Full-screen video" and select "Disable" @ "Full screen device".. it should be disabled now.

ggp159
12-12-04, 12:43 PM

go to your display's advanced settings select "Full-screen video" and select "Disable" @ "Full screen device".. it should be disabled now.

Iam sorry but i can't find it.There are 6 tab buttons "General,Geforce 6800 ultra,adapter,monitor,troubleshoot and color management". A "Full screen video option does not appear anywere".I have 670.03 drivers with nvtweak.

ggp159
12-12-04, 03:51 PM

Anyone knows where are these settings located? I can't find them! Please!!

einstein_314
12-12-04, 04:03 PM
I don't know either. I just looked and I can't find it anywhere. Hmm, I'll keep looking.