PDA

View Full Version : CD no longer required to play for retail owners!

Pages : [1] 2

Rakeesh
12-10-04, 06:29 PM
Finally valve is doing something right :D

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

The securom check is now gone, so the game effectively no longer requires a CD to play. Hopefully they don't add it back. Honestly theres no use for it IMO. If somebody really wants to pirate this game the cd check is completely worthless.

superklye
12-10-04, 07:07 PM
I just dis and reconnected to steam and no update occured. :(

Mr. Hunt
12-10-04, 07:07 PM
And now I rejoice... is this for both HL2 and CSS? Either way it is a good thing and it never should have been added in the first place with that stupid "verification" thing in place and the fact that your game is locked to your steam account... I shouldn't need to have a CD in the drive also.

wickfut
12-10-04, 07:37 PM
i didnt even get an update message - it just never needed a cd - pure magic!!!!

now all we have to do is make the game difficult and we are sorted

Edge
12-10-04, 08:27 PM
Finally, that needing the disc in the drive requirement was starting to get on my nerves. I'm glad they removed it. Looks like they also fixed a bunch of exploits and actually made the magnum a bit more balanced now.

EciDemon
12-10-04, 08:33 PM
Ah steam updating :D

This is great!

Rakeesh
12-10-04, 08:37 PM
I just dis and reconnected to steam and no update occured. :(

*shrug* you could delete a critical binary or something. Maybe when you try to play the game steam will detect that it isn't there and will resync your copy with the content servers.

GlowStick
12-10-04, 09:26 PM
Yay works with no dvd for me :D

Lfctony
12-11-04, 04:22 AM
Good job Valve! :)

OWA
12-11-04, 08:18 AM
That's good news! Now I can finally let mine update.

MUYA
12-11-04, 08:48 AM
This is just great. I can store away the DVD now for safe keeping. :)

BioHazZarD
12-11-04, 09:02 AM
Great now if they only can fix this stupid audio stuttering it would be great.

Rakeesh
12-11-04, 11:51 AM
That and the 5.1 issue that causes all of the audio to come from only the center speaker.

Lfctony
12-11-04, 12:46 PM
That and the 5.1 issue that causes all of the audio to come from only the center speaker.

My 5.1 audio works fine. I suppose this is not a Creative issue.

Rakeesh
12-11-04, 01:13 PM
My 5.1 audio works fine. I suppose this is not a Creative issue.

It's a valve issue. It affects many cards, creative included.

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176516

Everybody in that thread is reporting that 5.1 works fine in other games but not in half life, I am in the same boat. It seems hit or miss in that some cards work and some don't, no matter the brand. Theres probably an issue with valve not following the proper spec for whatever sound API(s) they use.

Burpy
12-11-04, 05:14 PM
I'm getting Half-Life 2 for Christmas. I was wondering if I could install HL2 on two diffrent computers (Mine & my brothers). I don't want to get my cd-key banned. Do I use the same account or create a new one for my brothers computer? I'm not sure how steam works. Thanks

ATI_Dude
12-11-04, 05:17 PM
Theres probably an issue with valve not following the proper spec for whatever sound API(s) they use.

I don't think Valve uses any common sound API like EAX or DirectSound3D and this is probably the culprit of the audio issues many people experience. If they'd only sticked to the common HW accellerated sound APIs like they did with the first game :rolleyes: Costum built sound engines always suck compared to DS3D/EAX and eats more cpu cycles

superklye
12-11-04, 05:20 PM
I'm getting Half-Life 2 for Christmas. I was wondering if I could install HL2 on two diffrent computers (Mine & my brothers). I don't want to get my cd-key banned. Do I use the same account or create a new one for my brothers computer? I'm not sure how steam works. Thanks
One key for one account.

einstein_314
12-11-04, 06:03 PM

Just use the same account. It works for me. You just wont be able to play at the same time. Actually I suppose if you're in offline mode you would be able to...

Burpy
12-11-04, 08:56 PM
I'll try installing on both computers and just block steam on his computer (firewall).
We both have pretty fast computers & it would be cool if we can progress in the game without being in the same room (might see spoilers). :)

He's not much of a FPS online player so it will be just for HL2 SP.

Great news on the no-cd update from valve. I have DOOM3 still installed and using a no-cd patch, down the line i'm sure id software will release
a no-cd update like they did for all their past games.

Sazar
12-11-04, 09:12 PM
This is just great. I can store away the DVD now for safe keeping. :)

give it to me... I promise I will keep it safe... for ever and ever and ever (snowman)

MUYA
12-11-04, 09:42 PM
;) The cd-key that came with the DVD CE is already registered to me so it would be useless. :D

Sazar
12-11-04, 09:51 PM
;) The cd-key that came with the DVD CE is already registered to me so it would be useless. :D

tell me where you live... once I find out none of these legalities will matter anymore (xmasgrin)

MUYA
12-11-04, 09:57 PM
Sai Ying Pun,
Hong Kong.

jAkUp
12-12-04, 02:10 AM
Glad I don't need the cd installed :) This is similar to what epic did with the UT games :)