PDA

View Full Version : Leaking/Swollen capacitors

Hyperspam
12-10-04, 08:21 PM
Today I replaced alot of parts in my system, and something hit me when I took the motherboard out.

Atleast half the capacitors were leaking, and it was mostly the big ones, and I assume the important ones. The ones that weren't leaking, were swollen, ie. the top part of them had almost burst. This was a Soltek KT266A motherboard, and it served me very well, very stable and FSB-clocked nicely considering no AGP/PCI lock. It hurt me too look at it in such a bad state.

But i'm wondering, how did it even work at all? How could it operate stable under any sort of load? I thought capacitors were vital to getting good and clean power to all the components.

And what do you think caused it? A bad powersupply with fluctuating rails, or my FSB overclocking? Or maybe it's just natural and happens to all boards sooner or later?

Starscream
12-10-04, 09:30 PM
Cheap taiwan capacitors are the culprit.

It's a common problem for boards of that vintage.

Hyperspam
12-11-04, 07:21 AM
I see. I sure hope Abit used better capacitors on my new AN7, because i'm stressing it alot harder.

I still wonder how the Soltek board can still work so well though. I had a MSI board die on me completely, no lifesigns whatsoever, when just one capacitor gave up.

Daneel Olivaw
12-13-04, 07:29 AM
that's an impressive mobo. A cheap mobo with delusions of grandure. :lol: