PDA

View Full Version : water-cooled maintenance

TheHelpful1
12-11-04, 12:40 PM
Last night i was processing a sale to a buyer on ebay and was only doing basic web browsing. Then my ASUS alarm went of of my P4800-deluxe mobo that two voltage spikes had occurred in the 3v and 5v rail. Nothing major, just a 10% hike to hit he alarm for a ms then back down.

I thought nothing of it until roughly 4 minutes later when my thermal alarm went off reading my Northwood as 86*C. Needless to say, having a watercooled rig, this alarmed me. It was late and i wasn't doing anything critical on the PC so i shut it down right quick so i could deal with it today.

Turned on the PC this morning and went straight to the BIOS thermal reading. With 4 intake fans (i reversed the two in the rear) pulling cool air in and funnelling it up to the radiator and sucked out by 3 blowhole fans, running at MAX speed (baybus switches), my temps held stable at 33*C for a while (normal is 28-30*C).

I then switched the fans all in to low speed and the temps started climbing ever so slowly. First i checked my pump - it's powered up and if i quick-pinch the intake tube i can hear the water moving so that's good. Next, since my thermal on the G-card didn't go off (water-cooled too) i figured something must be up with the CPU waterblock. Yep.

I'm using the Danger Den 486 waterblock and i noticed some whitish buildup on the aggitators over the CPU block. Doh.

My full system specs are over at the "post your rig" section, #250. - http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=489358#post489358 with pictures.

The fluid i'm using is FluidXP. Any suggestions on how to clear this up?

JoKeRr
12-11-04, 01:03 PM
that's ****ty. Even though I don't have a water cooling set up, but it's either corrosion or salt build up. I don't think it'll be corrosion cause copper is quite resistant (as long as u don't put a piece of Aluminum attached to it in the fluid). You'll prob. need to open the block and wipe out all that stuff with rubbing achohol. If it ends up to be salt build up, the best way to solve it is to use aquafina

GlowStick
12-11-04, 01:48 PM
Hello,

I have the DangerDen RBX waterblock, and ive noticed a TON of werid buildup on mine.

Honestly i figure there is some bactera that is growing inside of my system because my tubeing turned competely white. So i flushed it out with soapy water refiled with distilled and it worked for a while, but i belive my tubeing is starting to get foggy. I to wonder if someone knows a chemical i can use to kill off everything, i was thinking of pouring some alchol in there and see what happens.

However i have some white calcium looking spots on my clear top, and then on the block it self there are places where it is turned to black from tarnish.

Also, you may try cleaning your block, i didnt want to open mine up at first but aparently i did it and put it back together with out any leaks so i guess it cant be that hard.

Zetto
12-11-04, 03:21 PM
He has fuildXP which is NOT supposed to create any build-ups - that's the whole selling point of this thing as opposed to regular additives to distilled water.

TheHelpful1
12-11-04, 04:06 PM
He has fuildXP which is NOT supposed to create any build-ups - that's the whole selling point of this thing as opposed to regular additives to distilled water.

That and it's 'supposed' to be non-conductive. I was VERY religious in making sure no contaminants got in to the circulation, so I really have no clue where this stuff is coming from.

Here's a close up shot of it.
http://img49.exs.cx/img49/8374/dsc02855large0sp.jpg

That white build up is the only reason i can think of as to why my temps climbed to 86*C. The alternative is a voltage spike that gave my Northwood enough juice to go 'turbo', even though Asus AIboost (or whatever their auto-overclocker program is called) still read 3.4ghz.

Time to invest in a UPS if that white buildup isn't causing anyone else temperature problems.

JoKeRr
12-12-04, 03:06 PM
did u use tap water before you did the mix??

Dazz
12-12-04, 08:11 PM
Copper needs more maintance gold plated is the best.

GlowStick
12-12-04, 10:42 PM
Hm, anyone knows if i can put rubbing alchol in my lines to kill any bactriia etc?

oldsk00l
12-12-04, 11:30 PM
eeek
I highly advise against using alcohol dude.

Granted I've only been using my koolance for a week or so....I *think* I remember reading that rubbing alcohol can cause galvanic corrosion.

[edit]

HIGHLY corrosive, it won't hurt anything in the short term with like a %10 solution, however over time it will really screw up the lines.

TheHelpful1
12-13-04, 12:46 AM
did u use tap water before you did the mix??

No...

I did a straight run of fluidXP from priming/siphoning (and got a nasty quick taste too..)in and then letting the in/outlet cycle through the canister of fluidXP until all airbubbles were out.