PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 GT vs Gigabyte GV-N68T256DH

DataDroid
12-11-04, 12:32 PM
OK, I've read a lot about both cards, and they both seem pretty good, but I'm having trouble picking a clear winner. I'm going to get one or the other very soon, so I'm wondering if anyone has any information on which card performs better and overclocks better. I know the BFG has 24/7 tech support and a lifetime warranty and is oc'ed out of the box, but the Gigabyte has a much cooler looking heatsink+fan and an included overclocking utility, and I have a windowed case. Would any of you guys recommend one over the other?

Lfctony
12-11-04, 12:39 PM
I'd say BFG for the warranty.

Salamandar
12-11-04, 02:18 PM
OK, I've read a lot about both cards, and they both seem pretty good, but I'm having trouble picking a clear winner. I'm going to get one or the other very soon, so I'm wondering if anyone has any information on which card performs better and overclocks better. I know the BFG has 24/7 tech support and a lifetime warranty and is oc'ed out of the box, but the Gigabyte has a much cooler looking heatsink+fan and an included overclocking utility, and I have a windowed case. Would any of you guys recommend one over the other?

Ya, if you have searched this forum you would see many posts by me about the same question, I asked manly about the gigabyte and as much negative posts I received about the heatsink and cooling system on this card yet I received the same amount of positive posts from many other forums.
I've had the BFG in my system for a short period of time and I tell you it's nothing special. It's just like any other 6800GT, only comes a little overclocked at the core which is not a big deal at all as all 6800GT can overclock that extra 20 MHz.
The only good thing about BFG card is the warranty you get for life time.
The cooler on the BFG also is nothing special at all, and yet I saw many people complain.
The gigabyte on the other hand supposed to be special when it comes to it's cooling device but yet many people reported the opposite and other said it's do it's job.
At the end I picked the one with a better price and a better bundle and I also ordered an arctic silencer 5. I ordered a gigabyte and I should receive it next week by God's welling.

It's your choice. You pick one !
(cheers)

mike2h
12-11-04, 04:21 PM
most, if not all the complaints i have seen about the gigabyte cooler seem to be of euro origin. have no idea what that is about but i do know that mine works very well. so far.

Salamandar
12-11-04, 05:06 PM
most, if not all the complaints i have seen about the gigabyte cooler seem to be of euro origin. have no idea what that is about but i do know that mine works very well. so far.

That's exactly what I've noticed, most people who got their gigabyte from the states are happy with it, even some reports temp. much down below that of the ref. design and other people overclock it haply higher than many other cards.

But to just make sure that every thing would be perfect, I ordered an NV5.
Even if the heat pipe works on the gigabyte I'm gonna changed it sooner or later because I live in an area which is very hot in summer.

(xmasmile)

NemesisChild
12-11-04, 08:32 PM
I've had my BFG 6800GT OC for several weeks now. Other than it overheating at first, it's been running flawlessly. I had to upgrade my case cooling fans and even added an extra fan just to make sure the case was getting adequate ventilation. I have the newer design with the twin cooloing fans aand cooper heasink and pipe. However, I'm not so convinced that it does a good job of keeping this card cool. Question: Can the NV5 fit onto this card? I realize that NV5 was designed more for the reference card.

Morn
12-11-04, 08:40 PM
I have the gigabyte, it shipped with a faulty cooler. Another annoying problem with the gigabyte is that it doesn't work with the temp sensor in the nvidia driver, only way to see the temp is with gigabytes own program or speedfan.

mike2h
12-11-04, 09:08 PM
i find the temp thin irratating too. luckily for me i have digidoc5+ & was able to put a thermistor on the heatsink & calibrate it using gigabytes prog.

mike2h
12-11-04, 09:10 PM
That's exactly what I've noticed, most people who got their gigabyte from the states are happy with it, even some reports temp. much down below that of the ref. design and other people overclock it haply higher than many other cards.

But to just make sure that every thing would be perfect, I ordered an NV5.
Even if the heat pipe works on the gigabyte I'm gonna changed it sooner or later because I live in an area which is very hot in summer.

(xmasmile)

i live in a hot area too so i will be making that same call next summer. (xmasgrin)