PDA

View Full Version : Huge Problem with 6800 GT?

Suminferno
12-11-04, 03:52 PM
Okay well long story. I bought a BFG 6800 GT 256MB agp card. I wanted to set up dual monitors on it but it only had a svid out, so i got a converter and was using that. I let the system run overnight with it in, and when i got up the screen was full with just a bunch of like blocks of black and white and different colors, It kind of looked like a NES game cartridge when it wasnt in all the way, I beleive its called artifacting or something like that. So anyways, I called BFG tech support and they told me to send the card in, but said it would take a while to get back to me, which i didnt want. So i talked to my manager at bestbuy and they let me swap out cards for a brand new 6800gt. I brought that home last night, and didnt do anything with the converter, just hooked it up normally through the monitor. After about 2 hours the card did the same thing, started to artifact. I called BFG again, and we narrowed it down to more than likly its not the card, something in my system. We swapped out each stick of ram and check that, its all good. The kicker is that the only other card i have is a geforce 2 >.<, and when i use that the system is fine. I beg if anyone knows what the possible problem could be help me out! here is my system specs.

2.4 p4
asus p4s800 mobo
1gb of rosewill PC3200
2 hds
1 pci soundblaster
422w PSU
1 cd-rw

again any help would be greatly appriciated, Sux trying to play games on a deforce 2 32mb =\

Salamandar
12-11-04, 03:59 PM
Try the card on another PC.
And it could be a bad PSU.

Also make sure that your PSU supply 18A with the +12V.
You can see that on the label on your PSU.

Suminferno
12-11-04, 04:04 PM
yeah the 18a is in the 12v colum, and i plan on trying the card in another computer as soon as a friend gets off of work, but the dude at bfg said the odds of 2 cards going bad on one person is incredible =\ Im going insane not being able to play eq2 and wow lol. that and not being able to do photoshop cs >.< thanks for reply also, any one else have any suggestions or are having the same problem?

GoHack
12-12-04, 01:07 AM
I've had the same thing happen to my card, though it's very seldom.

I too called BFG and was told the first time that it might be due to the the temperatures that my card was running at, 80C GPU/60C ambient. Temperatures that occured at the time, while playing Anarchy Online w/the resolution at 1280x1024 pixels, 32 bit. The room was warm at that time. Outside the game, the temperatures drop. They recommended opening my case, which it already was, and try blowing a fan into the case. They said if it happens again to call back in order to arrange for it's return.

I never had any problems w/my ATI 9800Pro, w/this exact same system, while playing this game.

Well everything ran find for a couple of weeks or so, then it happened again last week. Again while playing AO, but the temperatures were a lot less, 70C GPU/50C ambient. By the way, my motherboard temperatures were around 48C CPU/29C system. They made the claim last time that it might be my system temperatures.

I called BFG again and was told to try making some changes in my computer's bios. Change the AGP from 128 to 256 and to disable the Fast Write. I made the changes, and so far so good, but because it happens so randomly, I'm not holding my breath.

By the way, they did ask about my power supply's wattage. It's a 430 Watt Antec TruePower.

I did ask about putting some ArcticSilver on the card's GPU, but was told that it will void the warranty.

Other than this random graphics scrambling, the card is absolutely great.

By the way, nothing is overclocked, yet.

Suminferno
12-12-04, 01:48 PM
Yeah, its a great card. I have been playing eq2 on it with pretty high settings. I did figure out what was wrong for now, liek you said im not goign to hold my breath though. i had to take out my disc drives, and get rid of some faulty cables.

Faster
12-12-04, 03:35 PM
I have had the issues you are having and my friend has too. It happened to us because we used a 1.4v bios but we have completely narrowed it down to temps.

It my core reaches 80c or near there it will get the lock screen of grable colours and I have to restart. Best thing to solve this for me was to just put a silencer on it, forget about the 1.4v bios and just go with 400/1100 overclocks. Which is good. I am happy and now everything is running smoothly.

Just do some looking into case fans or something to help with temps in your case. Yes putting AS5 on your core will void your warranty but only if you tell them :) Plus AS5 is gurranteed to help your temps, so just be carefull.