PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Ultra owners

kona
12-11-04, 04:57 PM
My computer is a Athlon 64 3500+, 2 GB of RAM, and a 6800 Ultra. I get very poor performance in many games, except Doom 3. In Far Cry, I get around 30 FPS outdoors, whether it be at 800x600 or 1024*768, AA & AF or no AA & no AF. In Half-Life 2, when I look at a wall, I get around 200 FPS, but if I look at a corpse or smoke, I get around 40. Please help me improve my FPS!! Here are some numbers to see if my system is performing as it should:

3DMark 2005: 51XX
Doom 3 timedemo, demo1: 80FPS (1024*768, High Quality)

PS. In Far Cry, at the beginning of the boat area, there's place in which my FPS drops drastically; the game struggles to play.

einstein_314
12-11-04, 05:45 PM
What drivers are you using? your doom 3 timedemo score is right on where mine is. 3dmark score looks fine. I'm pretty sure eveyones framerates drop when they look at smoke. What settings are you running HL2 at?

PS. In Far Cry, at the beginning of the boat area, there's place in which my FPS drops drastically; the game struggles to play.

Define "struggles to play". Do you have the 1.3 patch installed? If you do and HDR lighting is enabled, that's what slows it down.

kona
12-11-04, 05:56 PM
For HL2 and Far Cry, it doesn't matter much what settings I run it at and FPS are still very low in certain areas. But I'm running HL2 at 1024*768, High quality, 4xAA 8xAF. It's inevitable that framerates drop, but I think in my case they drop too much. I know someone who has a similar system as mine who can play HL2 at 16x12 4xAA 8xAF very smoothly. In Far Cry, what I mean by struggling to play is that FPS is like 15. That's a spot near a lot of grass at the beginning of the boat level. Otherwise, in many other areas, FPS is around 30. I'm using 66.93 drivers with the VIA 4.55 ones.

Edit: No I'm 99% sure HDR is not on.

Morn
12-11-04, 08:42 PM
It is possible that it is overheating and throttling.

ifusayso
12-11-04, 10:55 PM
The problem is usually one of this
AGP Driver
AGP Miniport
AGP VXD Driver
Chipset Driver
GART Driver
VGART
It depends on your motherboard.

Also I think somebody posted a HL2 fix on this board. That should help.

kona
12-11-04, 11:35 PM
The problem is usually one of this
AGP Driver
AGP Miniport
AGP VXD Driver
Chipset Driver
GART Driver
VGART
It depends on your motherboard.

Also I think somebody posted a HL2 fix on this board. That should help.

Are all of those included in the VIA 4-in-1 package? What's gart? Also, how do I know that my card is throttling back? I know that heat is not a problem so is it for sure that it's not throttling back? I have a A8V Deluxe. Do I need all those things you mentioned?

ifusayso
12-11-04, 11:45 PM
Kona are you using windows xp Sp1 or SP2 seems SP2 has a MS AGP driver that really helped wit that mother board. Have you tried this site it is a real help for VIA boards
http://www.viaarena.com/

kona
12-12-04, 12:17 AM
Yes I went to that site and got the newest chipset drivers (4.55). I don't know if there are other drivers that I must get aside from those drivers and the nvidia ones. Funny thing is I got a benchmark tool for Far Cry, and on one of the tests I got 57 FPS average at 1024*768 4xAA 8xAF as well as at that resolution without AA and AF. I'm running on SP2.

Scott@Bjorn3D
12-12-04, 07:07 AM
Have you checked your system for Spyware? I have seen this really rob a gaming computer of performance.

I would bring up Task Manager and see what your CPU Usage is when not even running a game. It should be only around 2%. If more than that something is running that is killing your performance.

Slammin
12-12-04, 07:46 AM
Sounds to me like you have Refresh Rate forced in the drivers.

kona
12-12-04, 11:23 AM
Yes I have forced my refresh rates because otherwise, they are at 60 Hz at all resolutions, which is uncomfortable. However, vsync is off. So what does forcing refresh rates have to do with performance?

Slammin
12-12-04, 11:39 AM
Setting refresh rate override screws up performance really bad with every ForceWare driver I have tried so far. I'm sure this is what you are experiencing too. Set it to default and see.

kona
12-12-04, 11:50 AM
Setting refresh rate override screws up performance really bad with every ForceWare driver I have tried so far. I'm sure this is what you are experiencing too. Set it to default and see.

I tried default and there's no change. There shouldn't be because even when I force refresh rates, if I look at a wall, I get over 100 FPS. Does using onboard sound reduce performance?

subbo
12-12-04, 03:55 PM
I use the onboard sound on the Asus K8V Se Deluxe and apart from sounding a littel muddy compared to the SB Live its been fine so far. I took out the live cause it causes ear-puncturing squeeks from the "coils" on the motherboard in my otherwise silent pc, and I read in a few places that it is a common problem with A64 mobos :(

kona
12-12-04, 04:00 PM
I have a SB Live Audigy 1 ready to use so I don't want to buy an Audigy 2 unless it's significantly better. Is there a big difference between Audigy and Audigy 2?

subbo
12-12-04, 04:04 PM
In fact, when the Audigy came out I was interested in upgrading but it had some serious compatibility problems with some mobos. My friend has an Audigy2 and it installed and works just fine (well, some EAX games still have their usual bugs and memory leak problems).

I would definetly try without the audigy to see if it helps your performance. Also the mentioned overheating/throttling is worth investigating.. what is your 6800U temps when you play? (use the nv cpanel to see them).

ifusayso
12-12-04, 04:19 PM
Kona I have both the Audigy gamer and Audigy 2z. I really have not seen to much difference in the two. I only run 5.1 setup though might be some with a 7.1 setup.

kona
12-12-04, 09:09 PM
I cannot check my temperature under load because I'm in a game. But while idle it's sometimes 49, sometimes 51. What's the maximum that it should be at under load?

macatak
12-13-04, 04:07 AM
Just to give you some idea, when i load up the Fort level (when you are sitting in the boat looking at the island) i get 47/48 FPS. That's running at 1280 x 1024 x 32, 2 x AA, 8 x AF, in-game setting: high,texture quality: very high, lighting quality: very high, v-sync on, no HDR. Patch 1.3. I have nothing forced through the Driver Panel and all my systems clock speeds are default and i'm using the 67.03 drivers. If i run the Far Cry Benchmark Utility using the Ubisoft Research Demo @ 1280 x 1024, 4 x AA, 8 X AF, Max Details i get about 69 FPS
Hope that helps :)

john19055
12-13-04, 08:21 AM
I had a Audigy 1 and upgraded to a Audigy 2 ZS I would like to say it made a big difference.But with my 5.1 speaker set up I really could'nt tell the difference.But I guess if I want to go to a 7.1 setup I can now ,but it was not really worth the money I spent on it since I have just a 5.1 speaker set up.

kona
12-13-04, 12:01 PM
Macatak, I got 87 FPS at those exact settings in the Far Cry benchmark tool. Only thing I see different between my computer and yours is the processor. Strange thing is benchmark scores for me are fine but game play is a different story.

macatak
12-13-04, 12:17 PM
I found the 67.03s play better than the 66.93s, with the 66.93, 66.97s i get lag when you fire a weapon, like a pause. I also enable blitting with Rivatuner and i get smoother gameplay, i still get the occasional pause when there is an explosion but that is probably my CPU. Good benchmark score though, nearly 20 fps above mine, think i'll go and put in an order for a Athlon 64 :)

macatak
01-06-05, 04:52 AM
never mind