PDA

View Full Version : Brothers In Arms Featured in PC Gamer and Dev chat this sunday

EatFresh
12-11-04, 05:35 PM
Brothers in Arms was featured in the January 2005 issue of PC Gamer magazine as one of the Top 10 games of 2005!

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/images/sd/bia_pcgamer_cover_sm.jpg

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/images/sd/bia_pcgamer_contents_sm.jpg

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/images/sd/bia_pcgamer_story_sm.jpg

Also, There will be a BIA/PCGamer chat on IRC this Sunday, at 6:00pm PST (9:00pm EST) on irc.gamesurge.net, #pcgamer. The Q&A session will go on for an hour, and the transcript will be uploaded the the PC Gamer website.

You can hop into the #brothersinarms and #PCGamer channels by loading this webpage HERE (http://bia.gearboxed.com/irc_chat/bia_irc.html)

Vagrant Zero
12-11-04, 05:39 PM
Doom3 typo lol.

But yes, BiA is another game that's on my radar. There's like 5 FPS games coming out in Feb/March. It's gonna be crazy.

EciDemon
12-11-04, 05:41 PM
*sigh* Yet another war fps ... dont you guys ever get tierd of these ?

EatFresh
12-11-04, 05:45 PM
Not when they bring something innovative to the table like BIA is doing.. And for those who are intrested.. Heres the latest trailer :)

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_brothersinarms_2_w.html

Vagrant Zero
12-11-04, 05:54 PM

Not if they're good. BiA looks like Far Cry meets Hitler.

LiquidX
12-11-04, 05:54 PM
Thanks! I will be looking out for it. Brothers in Arms looks refreshing and I have been following for a bit.

Never. I am still drooling at the thought of what COD or WOLF will look like on the Doom3 engine.

Kev1
12-11-04, 06:27 PM
I never get tired of fps games. Thats mostly all I have played since the original Doom and Duke Nukem 3D games.

I have played other types, such as Wizardry, Morrowind, NFS series, Z, etc and they are fun, but my favorite is fps'ers (snow=D) (snowcool)

EciDemon
12-11-04, 07:16 PM
I love FPS games too :) Ive just grown so sick and tierd of war fps games. ... in particular world war fps's

But whats new about this game ?
Maybe it's time to pick up on those war fps's afterall ?

EatFresh
12-11-04, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=EciDemon]I love FPS games too :) Ive just grown so sick and tierd of war fps games. ... in particular world war fps's

If you are intrested....

1)Q: What is the story line?

A:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is the story of a paratrooper who never wanted to be squad leader, but is thrust into a position leadership during the largest amphibious invasion in the history of the world. His name is Sgt. Matt Baker and he’s leader of 3d Squad, 3d Platoon, Fox Company, 502 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2)Q: Does this game have a MP aspect?

A:
quote:
Gearbox: We like to compare our MP game to single player co-op games. You and a friend are able to command squads around while trying to complete unique mission objectives. However, unlike most SP co-op games, our enemy forces are also being controlled by humans. It's a very unique and tactical type of gameplay that has received really positive reviews in the testing we've done. This type of competitive game naturally encourages the formation of teams that consistently play together. The better teams will be the ones that work together and use team tactics to win the mission.

3)Q: What platforms will BIA be released on?

A: PC, XBOX, PS2

4)Q: What are the minimum requirements for the PC version?

A:
quote:
Gearbox: For the PC version, the the game will run well on even a lower-end system. It will look fantastic on a higher-end system. Currently, you ill need a GeForce 3 or above (shader hardware, Direct X 8.0 support, etc), and at least a Pentium 3/1.0 Ghz processor (or equivalent). Final minimum/recommended specs will be announced closer to release.

5)Q: How many levels are there?

A:
quote:
Gearbox: There will be around 18-20 chapters in the single-player game, each with multiple objectives and mission goals to be met. There will be about 8-10 multiplayer maps as well.

6)Q: How long will the SP last?

A:
quote:
Gearbox: It will depend on the difficulty setting for the game and the skill of the player. We have implemented a checkpoint system so you don't have to repeat the same parts over and over, but there will be certain advantages to playing a chapter again and performing better (keeping more men alive, etc.) so there will be a lot of replay value on both SP and MP. It's a good-length game, and there are some really great story moments in the game, cool mission features, and a few surprises in store, that you'll definitely want to see more than once!

7)Q: Will an SDK (modding kit) be released?

A:
quote:
Gearbox: Gearbox has always been supportive of the modding community. If there is a large demand for editing tools, we will likely release them. However, it is still to early to give a 100% commitment on a tools release

8)Q: Will the appearance of characters change over time?

A:
quote:
Gearbox: The character models will progress over the length of the game - the longer they are in on the ground fighting, the dirtier and more unshaven they will look. After 8 days of straight fighting, they will look pretty rough - these guys didn't have access to washing machines and hot showers, and cleaning mud from your boots while you are fighting for your life is a pretty low priority

9)Q: When can we expect a release?

A: Q1 2005

10)Q: How sophisticated is the AI?

A:
quote:
Randy Pitchford: The soldiers behave like trained soldiers. They have standard operating procedures and they trained battle drills that are designed to help soldiers respond to any situation. This is all engineered into the characters. You don’t need to tell them exactly what to do, where to look and what they should do when someone starts shooting at them. They know what to do. Your job as their leader is to use the squad to fire and move on the enemy.

It’s pretty neat when you see guys who know how to use cover and corners all over the place. If guys are caught out in a field or something, you’ll even see them straighten up behind a tree in order to try to get any cover available to protect them. Then they’ll lean around the tree and return fire on the threat.

These guys know how to climb over walls and fire over obstacles – they know how to use the terrain for combat advantage.

Another neat thing is just watching one of your teams on a firing line, trying to suppress an enemy. While one guy is laying on some fire, another is reloading. Then the first guy will say, “I’m empty!” and the second guy will lean around and start putting fire on the target while the first guy ducks down to reload.

It’s all very dynamic and very authentic – our simulated intelligence programmers started with the standard operating procedures, then added the human elements. The decisions and the mistakes that make people what they are.

11)Q: What is the squad control interface?

A:
quote:
Randy Pitchford: Squad based combat in Brothers in Arms is amazingly easy to command, but very robust. At the point in the game where you’ve finally gathered your scattered squad, you’ll be equipped with two teams. One team is an assault team and is designed for closing on and killing the enemy. The other team is a fire team and is trained to suppress and pin the enemy so that the assault team can do its work. These two teams are dependant upon each other and their power is under your control.

Controlling them is simple. One button toggles between the teams. This is a lot like switching weapons, but you’re switching teams. Another button issues a command. It’s just one button to issue a command. You look at something and you press the command button and it’s all taken care of with the context sensitive system. If you’re looking at the ground, the command is, “Move to that position!” If you’re looking at an enemy, the command is “Attack!” You can hold the button down to see a little indicator that tells you exactly where you’ll be issuing your command.

It’s really fun and it’s really easy to do and, amazingly, it’s super authentic. Col. Antal has been leading combat soldiers for 30 years. He’s written books used by the military academy at West Point to train the US Army’s future officers. He taught the Gearbox team all about fire and move tactics and all about chain of command and the Gearbox team figured out that you don’t need a super complex man-by-man noun-verb system of command trees and complex options.

Squad combat should be about the idea of how you want to approach the combat problem. Not about how you’re going to fight through the interface to find the right command.

Simply pick the fire team and use the command button while looking at an enemy and you’ll issue the command. Baker will say something like, “Corrion, put some fire on that position!” And Corrion, the fire team leader, will say something like, “You heard Baker – Give it to ‘em.” And while he’s yelling to his men, you’ll see Corrion give the authentic hand signal for “Attack” directed at the enemy and his men will get the courage to lean out from behind the cover and start putting fire on the enemy. If you’ve got it right, they’ll be able to suppress that enemy and you can start to safely position yourself or your assault team for a good flanking kill

12)Q: Are there physics in BIA?

A:
quote:
Randy Pitchford: In line with the goal of creating an authentic, realistic portrayal of war comes a desire to physically simulate the effects of the weapons of war. There are now a couple of titles available that can give us a sense of what happens to a lifeless human as it collapses in a complex world. This kind of physics simulation may be a bit disturbing to some, but it is present in Brothers in Arms. So far, though, it is only in Brothers in Arms that I’ve seen this kind of simulation on not just humans and inanimate objects, but on animals as well.

There is something both disgusting and amazing about seeing a cow being struck directly by the 16 inch shells of Naval gunfire. In the game once I have seen such an event. It’s gross. You see, cows are large creatures that are filled with an awful lot of blood and guts. But, seeing a mess of that stuff blast into the air every which way is one thing. Another thing is when the dust settles and you approach the mess – then you are seeing the lifeless front half of a cow who’s suddenly empty body cavity, spine and gnarled legs are all realistically simulating physics as the mass rolls into the depth of the newly formed crater and you’re thinking, “I don’t know whether to stand here in awe or whether I should go throw up.”

13)Q: When will a demo be released?

A:
quote:
A: Brothers in Arms will be released in early ’05. Right now we’re looking at February and I think it’s very likely, but an exact release date will be announced as soon as we have one.

I think there will be a demo released for Xbox, maybe a demo for PS2 and some kind of limited beta test for the PC version. A demo for the PC version may or may not be available until after the product is launched – we’re working on those plans now.

14)Q: What engine does BIA implement?

A: Your guess is as good as mine

15)Q: Will there be hitorical weathe effects?

A:
quote:
Weather will be exactly like it was at the given time on the given day in 1944.

16)Q: Will there be civilians in BIA?

A:
quote:
There is nearly no civilians - or non-player characters - in Brothers in Arms, because in the real war the civilians were hiding in cellars and barns far away from the fighting action.

Well that covers most of the questions. Feel free to add to this list. Also, please post any questions that have not been covered here instead of creating a new thread. I hope this helps the new members out.

stncttr908
12-11-04, 10:10 PM
Should be a good one. All of the missions are based on actual maps and other historical locations to the slightest detail.

EatFresh
12-12-04, 04:24 PM
Bump... Dev chat in 3 1/2 hrs