PDA

View Full Version : ok guys, need some help

Cruel_Logic
12-12-04, 01:02 AM
My friend scored some computer parts and is trying to recreate my system (see sig). He has ocz pc4000 and a p4 3.4e on a dfi lanparty 875pro rev. b. He has a 480w thermaltake power supply and koolance water cooling. This is the same motherboard used here:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040517/northwood_prescott-01.html

looks like it should o/c right? well unfortunately it wont go past 3.6... tried changing ram to run incredibly slow, didnt work. upping voltage, didnt work. checked ram in my comp worked fine. i just cant figure it out, it doesn't look like there are any crazy performance enhancers in the bios turned on.

thnx in advance

GlowStick
12-12-04, 01:50 AM
Hm, if the ram will go up to the required speed, then it is probly the processor that cannot take the speed, i defiantly have to say that not many p4's go to 4ghz and beyond so id say your extremely lucky!

But if you really think the cpu can take more, try to just copy yoru bios settings exactly and then trouble shoot from there.

Cruel_Logic
12-12-04, 03:14 AM
Hm, if the ram will go up to the required speed, then it is probly the processor that cannot take the speed, i defiantly have to say that not many p4's go to 4ghz and beyond so id say your extremely lucky!

But if you really think the cpu can take more, try to just copy yoru bios settings exactly and then trouble shoot from there.

wow, apparantly all p4 are not created equal. you were right. put his in my rig, didnt do very well. put mine in his and was playin cs:source at 4.12. never wouldve guessed. thnx.

GlowStick
12-12-04, 02:46 PM
wow, apparantly all p4 are not created equal. you were right. put his in my rig, didnt do very well. put mine in his and was playin cs:source at 4.12. never wouldve guessed. thnx.
Yeah, Its unfortunate but basicly what happend, is you got one that OC's EXTREMELY well (4ghz+ is amazing on just water) and he got the exact oposite, one that wont OC a dam. He could try to exhcange it for a new one ;)

(xmassign2