PDA

View Full Version : Can I run 1x FX5700 Dual DVI (AGP) + 1x FX5200 DVI/VGA (PCI) in same machine?

mouthwash
12-12-04, 05:30 AM
Hi,

here is some background info:

Machine: Dell 4600 (no PCI-E)
Displays: 4x Dell 1703FP (DVI/VGA ports)
Application: basic 2D streaming financial share prices. I want to run as many in DVI as possible.

A single 4-head DVI card would just be too so I would prefer 2x 2-head.

Can I run 1x FX5700 Dual DVI (AGP) + 1x FX5200 DVI/VGA (PCI) in same machine?
http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT36BND
http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT64KUA

also

Can I run a newer 1x 6600GT Dual DVI (AGP) + 1x FX5200 DVI/VGA (PCI) in same machine?
http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT43AND

Of course if I had a motherboard with PCI-E, I would probably run 2x 6600GT Dual DVI (PCI-E)...

Note: I have tried Matrox P650 which are available both in AGP and PCI but they won't work with Dell in DVI mode and produce the "Stuck in Power Save Mode" error. It seems that Dell BIOS is only going to support Nvidia and ATI at least that seems to be the current position.

I've been at this for MONTHS now and so have 1000's of other people if you read the Dell forums...

But I do seem to be getting closer to the end now.

Note: I also have a FX5200 AGP DVI/VGA and that works just fine. So perhaps I should lean towards the first solution of 1x FX5700 (AGP) + 1x FX5200 (PCI)?

But then I wondered since the 6600GTis newer perhaps more chance I can run multiple cards?

Basically HELP. I am going grey over this. I have a graphics card a week arriving in the post at the moment and returning them all via RMA is a major hassle :-)

Thanks.

(xmassign)

r2d2d3d4d5
12-12-04, 06:56 AM
You should perhaps ask Dell. In theory all the AGP+PCI configurations you mentioned should work. The limiting factor would be Dell's motherboard/BIOS. (to get 4 monitors working you'd need to make sure that both your video cards are multi-display capable)

I don't think the SLI configuration would work though. AFAIK SLI limits you to the VGA/DVI connections of only one of the two cards.

ricercar
12-12-04, 02:35 PM
Can I run 1x FX5700 Dual DVI (AGP) + 1x FX5200 DVI/VGA (PCI) in same machine?Yes you can. I do.

Four LCD displays are driven from my SFF using an XFX 5700U AGP dual-DVI with a Gainward 5200 PCI DVI/VGA. No problems; no issues.

I don't vouch for the Dell compatability part, however. Dell offers too much proprietary bull****, and I do not trust them.

robinBones
05-05-05, 05:57 PM
Yes you can. I do.

Four LCD displays are driven from my SFF using an XFX 5700U AGP dual-DVI with a Gainward 5200 PCI DVI/VGA. No problems; no issues.

I don't vouch for the Dell compatability part, however. Dell offers too much proprietary bull****, and I do not trust them.

I have a 5700 Ultra Dual DVI AGP and a single 5200 PCI card.
When I enable the 5200 the same time as the 5700 I get a blue screen with
the error in nv4_disp

What drivers are you guys using, I tried the latest Nvidia and Omega.