PDA

View Full Version : Logitech cheapscapes!!

Dazz
12-12-04, 08:18 AM
Got someone who is buying my Creative Gigaworks so ordered an Logitech Z-5500 THX, however after looking at their site and after i ordered it they don't have an Optical cable included now i don't know where to buy or which type of optical cable i need :mad: I have an o/b sound card on the MSI K8N NEO2 with optical and want to use that. But what cable is needed i have seen diffrent types.

Chastity
12-12-04, 08:36 AM
use the toslink, luke.

Dazz
12-12-04, 09:14 AM
I found a place that did them and ordered an Superior Optical Lead (gold contacts) 2.5m cable it says it was suitable for DVD, HD CD and PC soundcards so should be compatible
Funny you should say that as after ordering it wa a TOSLINK so i guess i picked the right one :)

Which is better optical or coaxial?

CaptNKILL
12-12-04, 10:47 AM
Optical should be the best (i think) but remember, you arent going to get surround sound from anything but DVDs anymore.

|JuiceZ|
12-12-04, 04:41 PM
use the toslink, luke.

lol!

Its really a person preference. Some say coax sounds better, other say optical. I tried both w/ the z680's & z5500's and personally the coax had a nice warmer sound to 'em.

ricercar
12-12-04, 04:48 PM
Superior Optical Lead (gold contacts) 2.5m cable

WTF? Gold contacts on an optical cable? That's very strange. :crosseye: None of my optical cables have metal contacts. Last I heard, metal was opaque, and had trouble transmitting light as well as plastic fiber. I must be behind the times.

I've heard latency on multitrack audio with TOSlink that disappears with coax. YMMV.

Dazz
12-12-04, 08:07 PM
well it looked gold, ah don't ask me, what do you mean i can't have 5.1 in games???????? Thats the only point in buying these speakers!!!!!!! Does coax allow me to use 5.1 digital in games?

Dazz
12-13-04, 05:20 PM
Right i ordered an coax cable also, home come optical which is better only offers 2.1? I remember hearing something like this with Creatives speakers some time ago.

crainger
12-13-04, 06:22 PM
well it looked gold, ah don't ask me, what do you mean i can't have 5.1 in games???????? Thats the only point in buying these speakers!!!!!!! Does coax allow me to use 5.1 digital in games?

Nope, you can only do 5.1 in games using analogue. Even with analogue though, you should be very happy with those speakers.

(snowcool)

Dazz
12-13-04, 06:37 PM
Ah man that sux big time i should of just stayed with my Gigaworks S750's now :( Oh well whats dones done might as well see how they peform. At least they look better and 7.1 was a bit over kill for my room.

Dazz
12-16-04, 06:08 AM
Got them hooked up as we speak they are awesome hard to say which is better the S750 or these, Optical is working in 5.1 also it just up mixes the sounds to all speakers.
Niose wise these things can't even touch the S750's but both produce vgood sound the endge doing to the Z5500 as the optical output is better then the analog. Also on the Z5500 there is more volume and base in Optical over analog. Very nice speakers indeed. The optical connection on the control panel is a bit dodgy as the optical cable can drop out quite a bit if the control panel is moved about. Unless you have the cable do from under the stand which i did. The size of the speakers are really small compaire to the S750 as is the subwoofer. The z5500 buwoofer is long but not as wide which is pretty good heck i have even managed to get the centre speaker to sit on the top of the LCD :D

shoes
12-16-04, 05:47 PM
Nope, you can only do 5.1 in games using analogue. Even with analogue though, you should be very happy with those speakers.

(snowcool)

nVIDA soundstorm with RCA or optical out will do 5.1 realtime.even in games.

Dazz
12-16-04, 11:50 PM
I thought they did and that was due to the encoding right? Damn i want sound storm for the A64 now :D