12-12-04, 10:33 AM
Are any of you guys taking the plunge?

OCZ 520 Powerstream PSU
Asus Nforce 4 A8N-SLI Deluxe
FX-55
1 GB OCZ 4200
2 x XFX 6800GT PCI-Express - SLI
2 x 36 WD Raptors on RAID 0

I'm still waiting for the mobo and the two cards, hope they arrive soon 'cos i'd like it all for christmas. I''ll let you know how it all runs, i'm sure some of you maybe interested.
(xmassign)

circuitbreaker8
12-12-04, 11:14 AM
Wow, nice system. But I honestly cant see it being worth the $$. First off, a normal 6800gt/ultra can run any game @ 1600x1200 with AA and AF and get above average FPS, and secondly...what are you upgrading for exactly? Now that HL2,Doom3,Far Cry, and others are already out, I dont see any games coming out in the future that would warrent that purchase. But you could be a 3dmark03/05 junkie, so spend away :p

jAkUp
12-12-04, 11:16 AM
Wow, nice system. But I honestly cant see it being worth the $$. First off, a normal 6800gt/ultra can run any game @ 1600x1200 with AA and AF and get above average FPS, and secondly...what are you upgrading for exactly? Now that HL2,Doom3,Far Cry, and others are already out, I dont see any games coming out in the future that would warrent that purchase. But you could be a 3dmark03/05 junkie, so spend away :p

Unreal 3, Doom 3 expansion, Stalker, I'm also sure we will hear alot of upcoming games at next years E3... which I'm going to ;)!!! Plus you can jack up the AA/AF.

4xAA/8xAF

Dachshund
12-12-04, 11:29 AM
by the time any of those games come out.. there will be better cards out!!! The 6800gt will be old news.. And will cost way less.

Lore
12-12-04, 11:33 AM
I'm not a 3d mark junkie, in fact i think i've only tried it once. I like to play games in 1600 x 1200, and the SLI setup is where it's at.
There will be lots of games coming out, as there always is - not least, BF2.

GlowStick
12-12-04, 11:39 AM
Nice specs, however I adopted the 939 platform right off the bat and got plauged by the new hardware syndrome, im contempt with my system right now, however once availbiltiy stablizes out, and prices come to MSRP or below I will start upgradeing to SLi

BladeRunner
12-12-04, 11:51 AM
Are any of you guys taking the plunge?

OCZ 520 Powerstream PSU
FX-55
1 GB OCZ 4200
2 x XFX 6800GT PCI-Express - SLI

I'm still waiting for the mobo and the two cards, hope they arrive soon 'cos i'd like it all for christmas. I''ll let you know how it all runs, i'm sure some of you maybe interested.
(xmassign)

Similar setup here:-

Globalwin Sapphire 520watt PSU
FX-53
1 GB Crucial Balistix
2 x Leadtek 6800GT PCI-Express - SLI

I got everything including consecutive 6800GT's just waiting on the board, date keeps getting pushed back, but I 90% thought it would be, so situation normal :D..... just like you I'd like it before xmas though :ignored:

JoKeRr
12-12-04, 01:41 PM
damn u rich ppl. I can't even afford a single 6600gt agp (mikec)

Toss3
12-12-04, 01:53 PM
damn u rich ppl. I can't even afford a single 6600gt agp (mikec)

I second that! (but I could afford a 6800gt though :))
don't you actually realize that u're wasting money here(or not wasting, but in a few years yes!)? in a year or two there will be faster cards out on the market that probably will be faster than ur setup even with only one card. But for now I'm actually just jealous, so be happy with ur setup! and don't give a sh*t about comments from such people as me :D

(xmassign2 to ya!

FastM
12-12-04, 01:54 PM
by the time any of those games come out.. there will be better cards out!!! The 6800gt will be old news.. And will cost way less.

I think your wrong on that, SLI is a huge leap in Video card performance compared the speeds gains were used to with new cards. ATI obviously want the single card crown with the X850, nVidia on the other hand is very happy with the their product line-up and they wont be releasing revised versions for a while (longer than were used to...)

Cruel_Logic
12-12-04, 02:11 PM
e gad, are you guys insane? man, i don't understand why your telling this guy not to do it.. "why would you buy that? it's not worth the money, new cards will be better.. etc."

well, i don't see any new cards, or price drops. how long ago during the summer were people saying the price was gonna drop? yeah. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want this setup, and theres ALWAYS room to turn up the eye candy.

this is one insanely kick-ass system your putting together, and i wish you the best of luck :super:

boro
12-12-04, 02:14 PM
Can you install some random games on it (not the ones we see in all the benchmarks) and tell us if/how they run on SLI ?

BladeRunner
12-12-04, 02:34 PM
Some of us are just fussy and want higher sustained frame rates than one card will allow with all the eye candy, a high res, AA / AF. I want to know when dual CPU 4 slot SLI boards are going to be released (xmasgrin).

And like Cruel_Logic says prices don't seem to be dropping that much at the top end, a year old Asus 9800xt I'm selling is worth around 75% the price when I bought it. A way to look at it is SLI can give you similar performance to a 32 pipe 512mb 6800GT something that's not around the corner in single card format for sometime, (unless the bitboys release something that's ten times faster than SLI next week) :rofl

The best thing about it is if you are not one of the rich / stupid / lucky / mad / crazy (delete where applicable) people to get a full SLI setup now, you can upgrade to an SLI mobo next time you change your board, (it wont cost very much more), and use it like a normal system with one 6800GT. Then whenever you can afford it or the need for extra performance arises just throw another card at it. When significantly faster cards do appear the GT's you have wont be worthless.. so you can offset some of the cost selling them to get a new card and continue with that until you need another.

Good request by boro while I was typing this, I'd like to see if it can run project IGI / IGI2 both of which looked great, but never ran smooth enough for me even with X800 XT

noko
12-12-04, 04:49 PM
That is what I am planning on, next major upgrade I will be getting a SLI board and all the trimmings. I don't think the total cost will be that much more if at all from what I've been doing in the past. In fact it may turn out to be cheaper. Next major upgrade for me will be late next year to early 2006 :).

subbo
12-12-04, 05:08 PM
Add Battlefield2 to the list of "might do with SLI" games. Also Riddick seems to rock big time and kick doom3 ass graphically and as a game.

circuitbreaker8
12-12-04, 06:05 PM
Add Battlefield2 to the list of "might do with SLI" games. Also Riddick seems to rock big time and kick doom3 ass graphically and as a game.

BF:2 looks exactly like BF:V now :( It used to look good, but the game went through a little something called "optimization". Unreal 3 will pretty much rape the 6800 series, so even having two wont help. I'm actually going to sell my GT and get a x800xt-pe.