PDA

View Full Version : Budget photo quality printer?

Euphoric
12-12-04, 03:14 PM
I'm looking to get one for my Dad. I spent a little time at http://www.steves-digicams.com looking at the reviews and I found this Stylus Photo R300M. (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/epson_r300m.html) Does anyone have any experience with photo quality printers in this price range?

(xmastree)

ynnek
12-12-04, 06:24 PM
wow, that printer does everything.

I personally like canon's, but thats just personal preference..

Whatever you get him, you should bundle big stack of namebrand(whatever brand of printer you get) glossy photopaper with it, and a set of genuine ink cartridges.... cause thats where you end up spending most of your printing pictures!

Sazar
12-12-04, 06:46 PM
printers prices are pretty low right now as most companies are taking a nice hit on the product price...

they make all their money back in ink :)

are you looking for an AIO style printer or simply a photo printer?

the one you have above looks damn nice... :)

go for it if you can afford it...

Euphoric
12-12-04, 07:20 PM
Yep, the Epson R300M looks to be loaded with cool features. I was just curious if other member had any experience with these before I take the plunge. He just needs a (decent) photo quality printer and for less than $200 it looks to be the one.

Thanks! (xmasmile)

bluefire7
12-16-04, 02:42 PM
canon pixma 4000 prints great photos... if you can afford it at $120 (+30GC if you buy at best buy)..

shoes
12-16-04, 04:40 PM
i like canon too. the hp's i have had had good quality print but act like they need to go through a nuclear missile launch procedure at times lmao - they self adjust alot and make too much noise. go canon.

Smokey
12-17-04, 08:23 AM
Im an Epson user myself, though I have an old printer. When this Epson printer you are looking at first came out, I looked into as I wanted to upgrade mine, but in the end I didnt as I dont use my current printer enough as it is.

At the time, I had read some photo printing tests on an english website, comparing these type of home colour printer, to an original photo printed at the photo lab, and the Epson came out as best quality. When it comes to priniting photos, Epson have always been one of, if not, the best for home colour printers, where they lacked was when printing black text, which from what I have read, is a thing of the past.

Anyone who gets this printer, will be more than happy with its resualts.

saturnotaku
12-17-04, 09:00 AM
I've personally had nothing but bad luck with Canon printers, from their ink cartridges not lasting but a few weeks (I don't even print that often) to simply shoddy construction, I've never been happy with them. I've heard plenty of good things about Epson, though and I think you'd do very well to purchase the printer you mentioned.

Euphoric
12-19-04, 05:41 PM
I found this at New Egg (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=28-103-155&depa=1) for $124 after $30 mail in rebate. I'll probably get this one. Appreciate everyone's efforts and... (xmassign2

ynnek
12-19-04, 11:01 PM
Actually anyone try Ofoto.com? I think after this season, I'm going to go thru them to print pictures out.

GlowStick
12-20-04, 03:05 PM
I recnetly bought the Epson R320, it looks alot alike etc, and the quality is great!

I paied 160$ after MIR from bestbuy, it dose not include a USB cable however.

I do belive that the quality is the same or better than HP, and here are some advantages over HP.

1) WaterProof Ink, yes thats right, you can dunk that in a tub of water and its fine
2) Comes with Full ink cartages Thats about 80$ worth of ink there, HP gives you half full (some claim less than half)
3) Price Cant be beat

So far ive been very pleased with it, the individual ink cartagies really is an advantage!

Rytr
12-20-04, 03:10 PM
I ordered the R300 from newegg and should get it tommorrow or Wednesday. With the rebate seems to be a good deal.

Euphoric
12-20-04, 04:27 PM
I ordered the R300 from newegg and should get it tommorrow or Wednesday. With the rebate seems to be a good deal.

:thumbsup: Post some feedback when you can!

Rytr
12-20-04, 04:45 PM
:thumbsup: Post some feedback when you can!

Will do. Probably have some good feedback by this weekend as my wife will probably be printing a lot of photos. (xmasgrin)

GlowStick
12-20-04, 04:52 PM
Will do. Probably have some good feedback by this weekend as my wife will probably be printing a lot of photos. (xmasgrin)
May i recomend the Epson 4x6 photopaper, it costs 11$US for 100 sheets, and can be pritned borderless and is pritty much waterproof (as you would expect waxy paper to be, eg it just gets weak when in water)

Rytr
12-20-04, 04:56 PM
Thanks! So happens I have a pkg of 100 on hand.

Euphoric
12-28-04, 11:06 AM

How's the quality of the printer?

Rytr
12-28-04, 11:25 AM
Quality seems to be very good, as good if not a little better than my HP 930C, along with some good features. Specially like the card reader as it takes my XD memory cards. Mixed results on printing with some excellent prints up to 8x10 and some so-so. The so-so is mainly my fault as the LCD I have is not showing the tints as well as it did with the HP. I have made some adjustments and results are improving. Plus my Christmas present to myself, 22" ViewSonic P225f, should arrive Thursday and then everything should be fine! (xmasgrin)
The main thing is I won't have to discard ink cartridges that still have ink left in them.

GlowStick
12-28-04, 12:03 PM
Quality seems to be very good, as good if not a little better than my HP 930C, along with some good features. Specially like the card reader as it takes my XD memory cards. Mixed results on printing with some excellent prints up to 8x10 and some so-so. The so-so is mainly my fault as the LCD I have is not showing the tints as well as it did with the HP. I have made some adjustments and results are improving. Plus my Christmas present to myself, 22" ViewSonic P225f, should arrive Thursday and then everything should be fine! (xmasgrin)
The main thing is I won't have to discard ink cartridges that still have ink left in them.
Oh yes, and rember Epsons come with full ink carts unlike hp's crappy like 1/4 full. heh.

Euphoric
12-28-04, 05:37 PM
Thanks! (newyr)