PDA

View Full Version : Shimmering

adpr 02
12-12-04, 06:30 PM
I am wondering if the 6600gt has it. Is it just for the nvidia 6 line of graphic cards? I know their gpu's are close, but I am just wondering. also what does shimmer do in games? I am wondering about this because the 67.2 have it fixed where the 70.20 don't the 70's are better than the 67's performance and quality-wise, or so I hear. So I am just wondering which would be best for me.

of course I am going to try both of them out on my pc, but I just want to see if there is a easy way out of this dilema.

saturnotaku
12-12-04, 06:37 PM
There has been plenty of discussion about this issue as well as a general consensus of how to fix it. The search function is here. Use it.

CaptNKILL
12-12-04, 06:37 PM
Well version 67.02 and 67.03 have an option to "clamp" the LOD bias. This will get rid of shimmering in most games, but it also makes other games look like crap that are supposed to use negative LOD biases (such as battlefield 1942... it looks absolutely terrible with clamp on... with it off the textures shimmer horribly).

Its a shame they cant just fix the bug rather than have an overkill driver setting to bypass it completely.

saturnotaku
12-12-04, 06:38 PM
Its a shame they cant just fix the bug rather than have an overkill driver setting to bypass it completely.

That's what the profiles are for. I do agree that it's not the best solution, but it's servicable for now.

ssj4goku887
12-12-04, 08:18 PM
Clamp doesnt do jack if you already have your lod bias at 0.

CaptNKILL
12-12-04, 08:35 PM
Clamp doesnt do jack if you already have your lod bias at 0.
Yes it does. Though ive only noticed it in BF1942. The game uses -1.5 LOD bias as default, no matter what the drivers are set to. The bug is with nvidias drivers (or the game) and it uses the wrong mipmaps in the wrong places, so one area shimmers really bad. The mipmap clamp stops this from happening, but also removes the games -1.5 mip bias. So basically in BF1942, you either get horrible shimmering or nasty blurred textures.

I wish they would fix it :(

MUYA
12-12-04, 09:03 PM
This has been discussed to death. to deal with shimmering. Look for old threads that deal with this, Closed