PDA

View Full Version : how do I enable 6xaa?

Pages : [1] 2

12am
12-13-04, 01:23 AM
I have seen alot of review sites use 6xaa and when you click on "whats this?" on the aa slider it says you can use 6xaa, however I only have slider options of off 2x 2xQ 4x and 8xS. I'm using the 67.03 driver set. How can I enable 6xaa on my card?

jAkUp
12-13-04, 01:39 AM
I believe you can force it through rivatuner...

Andrea FS
12-13-04, 02:01 AM
I had the same problem. Have to download and install the aTuner utility.

URL: http://www.3dcenter.org/atuner

It allows to set hidden parameters.

Best regards
Andrea

12am
12-13-04, 02:09 AM
well I was trying to get 6x because 4xaa on the 6800gt looks like there is no aa going on at all. A quick search on this on my main forum (oc/forums) shows that there is an issue with nvidia's aa quality and that most of the tiem regardless of what settings you set aa to there are always jaggy edges everywhere. (I have confirmed this and have screenies as proof) I am very dissapointed knowing that 2xaa on my old 9800pro kicked the crap out of nv's 8x aa, spending 650cdn on a vid card that doesn't do aa properly if at all has me fuming right now :(

Vagrant Zero
12-13-04, 02:42 AM
well I was trying to get 6x because 4xaa on the 6800gt looks like there is no aa going on at all. A quick search on this on my main forum (oc/forums) shows that there is an issue with nvidia's aa quality and that most of the tiem regardless of what settings you set aa to there are always jaggy edges everywhere. (I have confirmed this and have screenies as proof) I am very dissapointed knowing that 2xaa on my old 9800pro kicked the crap out of nv's 8x aa, spending 650cdn on a vid card that doesn't do aa properly if at all has me fuming right now :(

You know over at Hard I ran a blind AA test. Took a pic from an XTPE at 4xAA and one from an Ultra at 4xAA. Then I asked people to try to tell which one was which. Practically no one got it right. Nvidia and ATI both use similar 4xAA algorithims. If you think you see a difference...it's just you. Case of grass is greener I suppose.

Hm, now that I think about it I think MikeC did the same thing here.

rewt
12-13-04, 04:00 AM
sounds like a case of the fanboy placebo effect. lol

Dazz
12-13-04, 04:31 AM
You know over at Hard I ran a blind AA test. Took a pic from an XTPE at 4xAA and one from an Ultra at 4xAA. Then I asked people to try to tell which one was which. Practically no one got it right. Nvidia and ATI both use similar 4xAA algorithims. If you think you see a difference...it's just you. Case of grass is greener I suppose.

Hm, now that I think about it I think MikeC did the same thing here.
In screen shots it's not noticeable but in realtime it is. 4x AA is horrible on the Geforce range it is blurry it was very clear in screen shots however.
Something to do with the Fbuffer or something the way they do it.

Vagrant Zero
12-13-04, 04:55 AM
In screen shots it's not noticeable but in realtime it is. 4x AA is horrible on the Geforce range it is blurry it was very clear in screen shots however.
Something to do with the Fbuffer or something the way they do it.

Well then post some video clips comparing the two. From where I'm standing the 'oh but it can't be seen in screenshots' line is just too damned conveniant. All I know is there were almost no jaggies in HL2 at 1600x1200 4xAA [except for the powerlines] on my GT. Short of those powerlines, AA simply couldn't get any better in that game. I've seen screenshots of HL2 on a XTPE at 2048x1536 6xAA and it looked no different from 1600x1200 4xAA. Sometimes you simply reach a point where more multisampling is overkill [which is why I like the fact that at least Nvidia gives me the option of supersampling]. It really is a placebo effect.

Speaking of which I've found Bloodlines to be perfectly playable at 8xS. It hits the same min fps as 4xAA. Looks like it's the engine that's choking in certain parts of the game and not my card.

saturnotaku
12-13-04, 07:04 AM
sounds like a case of the fanboy placebo effect. lol

(snowlol)

There is no 6x AA on NVIDIA cards like there is on ATI. You can use a program called aTuner to enable a 6xS setting, but it's for Direct3D games only (doesn't work in OpenGL).

Toss3
12-13-04, 07:14 AM
I've also noticed that AA doesn't look as good as on my old 9800pro .. but still, I can use 1280x1024(TFT) with 4xAA and 8xAF and it looks so much better that 1024x768 with 2xAA and 8xAF on my old 9800pro (xmastong)
(snowman)

$n][pErMan
12-13-04, 12:59 PM
I use 16x AF / 4x AA on Half-Life 2 and UT2004 (acctually I use 8xS on UT2k4) and I see no jagged edges. If you have time to look at edges up close... your not playing the game hard enough ;)

superklye
12-13-04, 01:30 PM
[pErMan']I use 16x AF / 4x AA on Half-Life 2 and UT2004 (acctually I use 8xS on UT2k4) and I see no jagged edges. If you have time to look at edges up close... your not playing the game hard enough ;)
Heh...I agree. And the only time I've ever noticed them at all was in WoW when that glow/bloom effect was on. Then, all the jaggies made me cry. But otherwise, in games like FarCry, UT2k4 and the likes, I never notice jaggies unless I'm NOT playing...just standing around looking/waiting for something to happen.

wEEt
12-13-04, 02:01 PM
Do not use 6xS, it's not worth it. Extreme performance hit and doesn't look much better than 4xAA. Better use a higher resolution.

superklye
12-13-04, 03:20 PM
Has anyone used 16xAA? There is a setting for that in RivaTuner...

12am
12-13-04, 05:35 PM
you know what... this is not fanboiism, I came here to see if there was a resolution to a problem and most of you jump onto my back and call me a liar... I am dissapointed that a 250 dollar card can beat the hell out of a 650 dollar card in aa quality. Now if someone would like to host some pics for me I would gladly show you that I'm not lying when I say the 2xaa on my 9800pro put the 4xaa on my 6800gt to shame and makes it look like the 6800gt is not doing any antialiasing at all.

Zelda_fan
12-13-04, 05:57 PM
oh please, by all means, go to http://www.imageshack.us and host us some pics.

BTW if you paid 650 for a 6800 GT you got gyped. Sorry, but it's a 400 price point card.

You've probably got a driver bug or something cuz the AA on my GT is great just like on my old Voodoo5. What game are you useing AA for? Certain games with bloom effects like NFSU and Thief 3 disable AA when the bloom effect is turned on.

12am
12-13-04, 06:07 PM
I live in canada don't forget, so our currency is diffrent, also bought the gainward wich carries a price premium over normal 6800gt's. And now I have aphotobucket account so I will now show what I'm talking about. The game is saga of ryzom.
Here is a pic rendered by the 6800gt 1600x1200 4xaa 8xaf (look at the kizoar's body and wings, as this is basis for comparison against the 9800pro pic I will post after)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/cruze8/6800gt1.jpg

12am
12-13-04, 06:08 PM
and now here is my old 9800pro rendering 2xaa 8xaf at 1600x1200, again look at the kizoars wings/body
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/cruze8/9800pro1.jpg

So now are you convinced??

rewt
12-13-04, 06:16 PM
There is no AA in the first shot. Did you set it in control panel or game or what?

rewt
12-13-04, 06:21 PM
Do not use 6xS, it's not worth it.

I have to disagree. 6xS is my favorite mode to use because not only does it get rid of jaggies much better than 4x, it provides texture sharpening as well. Also, 6xS doesn't make power lines and cables thick as the pole in HL2...

12am
12-13-04, 06:25 PM
There is no AA in the first shot. Did you set it in control panel or game or what?

Excuse me for gettin mad here but are you not reading my posts??? that shot WAS TAKEN AT 1600x1200 WITH 4XAA AND 8XAF SET IN THE NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL!

kev13dd
12-13-04, 07:53 PM
Excuse me for gettin mad here but are you not reading my posts??? that shot WAS TAKEN AT 1600x1200 WITH 4XAA AND 8XAF SET IN THE NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL!

Calm down calm down

Sometimes when you set it in control panel it doesn't actually apply in game. Drivers have bugs, games have bugs. ATI and Nvidia both have had this issue before in different games. Try forcing it with a different program, or testing it with a different game

Best way to check if you actually have AA on, is to take a screen shot with it "supposedly on". Then turn it off, and take the same shot. Compare, and you'll see if you have any at all

K

Zelda_fan
12-13-04, 10:55 PM
Yeah, it looks to me like there is no AA whatsoever in the first picture. I think somehow it is not getting enabled. If there is a way to enable it in-game rather than control panel then do that instead. I am not farmiliar with the game so I don't know if it's a bug or what. Try useing rivatuner to enable the AA, and try useing different modes to see what you get (riva tuner has like 10 modes which should be plenty for testing).

einstein_314
12-13-04, 11:16 PM
There is definately no AA in the first pic.

wEEt
12-13-04, 11:26 PM
I have to disagree. 6xS is my favorite mode to use because not only does it get rid of jaggies much better than 4x, it provides texture sharpening as well. Also, 6xS doesn't make power lines and cables thick as the pole in HL2...
Maybe, but I experienced only problems with that AA mode: For example VST:

1024x768, max. details and 6xS + 8:1AF --> 56(!)fps
1600x1200, max. details and 2xQ + 16:1AF --> 86fps

The second looks far better and is nearly twice as fast. So I really don't need such a performance hit.