PDA

View Full Version : 6800 ultra reference HSF and 'pulsating' noise

Zetto
12-13-04, 02:23 AM
Hey guys, do any of the owners of 6800ultras with reference HSF (like BFG for example) experience something like 'pulsating' noise? I got it recently and noticed immediately that's much louder than my venerable 6800gt (xmasgrin) but what's even more annoying is that there is a noticeable rotating, or pulsating kinda noise which increases and desreases in intensity. (mikec)

I have fairly loud system, although I do have watercooling, and most fans are gone. It's definitely 6800ultra, I never heard that before. I am worried that the fan on it is dying or faulty somehow. Right now it works just fine and temp are kept in check but this noise is driving me crazy. Any suggestions or advices? I was going to replace it with a waterblock eventually but I do need a fully functional product for the money I paid for it (cheers)

I came up with analogy of sorts: these symptoms I experience are like "stuttering" only it refers to sound, not visual quality. ;)

Mud
12-13-04, 03:32 AM
you may be getting superposition between the ultra and anther fan in the system, try changing the fan speed (i.e. if you don't have fan controls stick your finger in) the other fans to see if it stops the warbling. other than that all i can think is you are getting some major turbulence off the fan, possibly buffeting off the PCB but also possibly off something else thats local.

BladeRunner
12-13-04, 03:36 AM
It's hard to diagnose without hearing it myself but it sounds to me like a resonation. You can get that when you have two items that "hum" (for want of a better word) at slightly different frequencies. If one is changing pitch up and down a bit then you can get a noise like I think you are explaining. If you can try isolating the other fans in your case by either unplugging them one at a time, or slowing them. It could also be a harmonic between the card fan & a hdd as well, I've had similar in the past... You could use something like a Zalman fan mate to connect to all the other fans one at a time so you can change their speed to see if you find the culprit

Zetto
12-13-04, 04:07 AM
Thanks guys, excellent info! I'll try it, don't have too many fans around. I like ZeroFanZone idea :D but it's not really possible with modern hardware :( I do have to have fans on my rad..

BladeRunner
12-13-04, 04:59 AM
I'm putting together an SLI system, it will have Zero Fans at some point... trust me, I love a challenge (xmastong) (xmasmile)