PDA

View Full Version : 6800 standard not working well

wooda
12-13-04, 02:53 AM
I've just bought my new 6800 standard graphics card, and its been very dissapointing, before I bought it I checked many many benchmarks, to see how good it is, and in good cases it gets half the FPS its meant to.
At DOOM 3 for example, it got an average FPS of 25, in high 1024*768 8xAF (no AA), compared to around 70 on various benchmarks.
In COD it also got around 30FPS at 1024*768 maximum no AA no AF.

As you can see, these results are very very low, and there's obviously a problem, even underclocked (which it isn't) with a terrible CPU and RAM it shouldn't get these results, please help me!

This is the rest of the computer:

P4 2.8GHz Presccot
256 DDR 3200 *2

and those are all of the important parts I think.
before this graphics card I had a GF4MX (yes I know, pretty crappy, thats why I upgraded).

ekloot1978
12-13-04, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure if I can help or not...but did you uninstall the previous drivers for your old video card before installing the new video card and the latest drivers? Also, do you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard installed? And do you have Vsync turned on in Doom, Call of Duty, or in the nvidia control panel?...in call of duty its called something like "sync every frame" under the performance options. If Vsync is on in any of these places then turn it off for benchmarking your framerate since vsync can cut your framerate in half if your framerate can't make it to the speed of your refresh rate. Vsync can be nice sometimes if your computer can push out a framerate that keeps up with the speed of your refresh rate...it make everything seem more fluid with no screen tearing...but like I said it can cut your framerate way down in some situations. I use it in some games and not in others...just depends. Your system is about the same as mine (yours may be a tad better actually) and my framerates are a lot better than what you are getting right now so there is something definately not quite right and you should be getting much better performance so hopefully myself or someone else here can help you figure this out.

saturnotaku
12-13-04, 01:47 PM
Keep in mind that most sites also run their benchmarks on systems with 1 GB of RAM. Don't get me wrong, your scores are still out of whack, but don't expect performance levels to quite reach what you see in the review site benchmarks.

lmetza
12-13-04, 02:12 PM
Oh dude, and don't use the refreshrate overrides in the nvidia control panel (leave it to app controlled (default) and use either Refreshlock or refreshforce (reforce). I had some performance issues when useing the nvidia refreshrate overrides, but everythings normal now. Also i suggest installing either the 67.02 or 67.03 drivers. They are awsome. I get 64FPS in doom3 at 1024x768 High Q. 8xAF and im not sueing a 64-bit cpu like the reviewers. I only have a 2800+ barton on an a7n8x.

Dawg90
12-13-04, 03:07 PM
It's your RAM i'd guess - my brother got a new Dell with 256 MB ram, and COD was unplayable. We upped it to 512 MB and now it runs great. A lot of new games are almost unplayable with 256 MB Ram. you need 512.

saturnotaku
12-13-04, 04:08 PM
It's your RAM i'd guess - my brother got a new Dell with 256 MB ram, and COD was unplayable. We upped it to 512 MB and now it runs great. A lot of new games are almost unplayable with 256 MB Ram. you need 512.

He already has 512. 256*2 = 256x2, he just phrased it oddly.