PDA

View Full Version : Can RivaTuner lower my GPU core threshold temp?

wrugoin
12-13-04, 03:49 AM
Hey all,

After the heat kicked in full force in my apartment, added with 2 hours of HL2 gaming, I noticed that my GPU temp on my overclocked 6800NU reached 71 degrees C. Now I know this isn't a critical problem and it should be able to hit those temps once and a while, but come summer in Chicago, my unairconditioned apartment can reach 90 degrees F easily. This included with long hours of 3D gaming, and I'm starting to worry about my new 6800.

SO! I was wondering if RivaTuner (somewhere in the poweruser settings) has the ability to lower that Core Slowdown Threshold tempature from the ultra high 135 Degrees C, to something like 80-85 degrees. I would feel better knowing that if I'm putting the card at risk, the system will monitor itself and slowdown the core and let me know that my system is overheating.

The question again: Can RivaTuner change/lower the Core Slowdown Threshold tempature on Nvidia's tempature settings?

Thanks,
Mike

lowdog
12-13-04, 04:08 AM
Short answer is no. The core temp threshold is set in the cards bios,,,the only way to change it is to mod the bios.

wrugoin
12-13-04, 05:08 AM
Short answer is no. The core temp threshold is set in the cards bios,,,the only way to change it is to mod the bios.

Thanks Dog, Guess I'll just have to keep a close eye on it come summer time. By the way, I'm guessing that the 135C is way over a safe limit for a GPU temp to run at. At what tempature should I consider stoping gameplay and letting the GPU and case temp cool off a bit? 75? 80? 90? It's not a big issue right now, but I'm just looking for some ballpark figure to keep in my head as a warning temp.

Mud
12-13-04, 01:31 PM
i believe the official figures are (correct me if i'm wrong) 130'C GPU, 90'C RAM, but bear in mind AMD say the XP's are good to 85-90'C (architecture dependant) and they usually start crashing and restarting in the low 70s. the figures might not to be trusted.