PDA

View Full Version : Asus 6800GT - impossible to monitor temps or what?

glObalist
12-13-04, 07:55 AM
Hi,

I've been bugged by this for some time now. The thing is, I can monitor the temps of my V9999GT/TD 128MB Asus card just ok with the SmartDoctor utility, but when I uninstall it, I can't get any temperature-related readings from anywhere, be it in RivaTuner, SpeedFan, CoolBits or other.

Could it be Asus only allows you to see the temps in THEIR crappy little utility? Anyone with this card who could shed some light? Thanks a lot!

boxterduke
12-13-04, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I've been bugged by this for some time now. The thing is, I can monitor the temps of my V9999GT/TD 128MB Asus card just ok with the SmartDoctor utility, but when I uninstall it, I can't get any temperature-related readings from anywhere, be it in RivaTuner, SpeedFan, CoolBits or other.

Could it be Asus only allows you to see the temps in THEIR crappy little utility? Anyone with this card who could shed some light? Thanks a lot!

I have an asus too. Never payed attention if it is available in rivatuner. Let me check when I get home and I'll update you

Faster
12-13-04, 12:17 PM
I have heard this somewhere before....

I dont have a link, but it must mean asus changed the card away from the reference design by nvidia. So I would say that yes, you have to have their crappy little utility installed.

glObalist
12-13-04, 12:22 PM
The 1st guy: Ok, hanging in there for your findings... :)

the 2nd guy: Well, the problem with the util is that the version I got from the installation CD gives me these strange micro-freezes in games and benches, effectively lowering my FPS and stuff. The latest version reboots my comp right upon install, which is very unusual for my rock-stable system, so...

boxterduke
12-13-04, 05:49 PM
The 1st guy: Ok, hanging in there for your findings... :)

the 2nd guy: Well, the problem with the util is that the version I got from the installation CD gives me these strange micro-freezes in games and benches, effectively lowering my FPS and stuff. The latest version reboots my comp right upon install, which is very unusual for my rock-stable system, so...

Hey man, I checked for you and I cannot find the temp setting either.
I also checked the display property and there is no tempreture setting too.
All 6800 should have them. But I read in other forum that also gygabite does the same as asus.

Faster
12-13-04, 06:32 PM
Go to asus gobal website and find a new version of the Program?

Also updating your Motherboard bios and graphics card bios might help.

Salamandar
12-13-04, 06:38 PM
Hey man, I checked for you and I cannot find the temp setting either.
I also checked the display property and there is no tempreture setting too.
All 6800 should have them. But I read in other forum that also gygabite does the same as asus.

At least the Gigabyte V-tune 2 is a good program.

BladeRunner
12-13-04, 06:40 PM
Smart doctor was such a good app originally on GFDDR, GF2 GTS & GF3, then they made V2 on TI4600 and it was buggy as hell!! I don't think it's ever been fixed since. I used to choose Asus cards specifically because they were the only ones to offer temp readings, later for ram also. If they have made it so no other app can access the temps I will avoid their cards in future...

I did use to be able to monitor my Asus cards temp in MBM5 without the app installed, can't remember exactly how to enable it now was a while ago, but have a browse around the MBM site / forums HERE (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/)

rohit
12-14-04, 02:28 AM
ASUS uses a different sensor, WINBOND sensor, wich is different to the regular sensor, used by general nvdia cards. so to get the temps, a programmed software specifically for winbond chip is reqd. like the asus smartdoc utility. u cant get the temps any other way. not even rivatuner can get the temps.

BladeRunner
12-14-04, 02:43 AM
I have slept since then so I can't remember, I'm pretty sure Stupid Doctor didn't need to be running, but it may have been installed for it to work with MBM.

from the faq (http://www.livewiredev.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=3527).

Of course mbm is dead now :cry: so that might not help much......