PDA

View Full Version : XP Loading probs on MSI K8n Neo2 3500+ 90mn

MadProfessor
12-13-04, 11:17 AM
here's the lowdown...
MSI K8N Neo2
Athlon 64 3500+ 90mn
Corsair TwinX1024-3200c2pt (2x512 matched)
WD 74GB Raptor
BFG 6800GToc
Audigy2 ZS

i noticed something not quite right while doing the first steps of installing XP... when it got to the point to where it was copying files, this machine kept saying it was having problems copying files from the disc... when i hit retry it would continue no problem... keep in mind ive tried to load windows several times, and it would never hang on the same files each time... hmm, peculiar... after trying different bios settings, i finally just went back to load fail safe settings, and made basic changes to match my config (i.e. First Display AGP, etc...) i was finally able to get most of windows installed... after the 1st WinXP flash screen (the one with the little blue bar scrolling back and forth) blammo... blue screen... i get 1 of 2 different variations... the 1st was IRQL_ NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the 2nd was PAGE_FAULT_IN _NONPAGED_AREA... from looking around as much as i have, i am thinking.... is there some sort of memory incompatibility? i have run memtest86 from bootable cd through 2 complete cycles and no errors... thank you in advance for any input, and ill be happy to answer any questions to clarify....

d2thez
12-13-04, 11:24 AM
This could be many problems. Here is a list of things to try:

1. Reseat videocard and RAM to make sure they are in properly, and make sure heatsink is properly contacting and cooling CPU

2. Add a bit of extra voltage in the bios to the memory

3. Since you are using a Winchester, make sure you at least have bios 1.3 for proper support, also, the official 1.4 bios for that board just came out, flash it because I have read it is a really nice bios

If all of that fails:

4. Try Sata drive on different connectors

5. Try one stick of RAM at a time to see if there is a dual channel problem

6. take out Audigy in case it is causing conflicts

7. Just chuck the whole f*in setup out the window.....J/K

Let me know how that works for you and I will help you out if you need more advice

saturnotaku
12-13-04, 11:29 AM
I'd still say the problem is likely memory-related. Sometimes memtest86 doesn't pick up on these types of things. Corsair generally doesn't get along well with the Athlon 64 either.

MadProfessor
12-13-04, 12:22 PM
ya know D.... now that you say that, i remember that the board and the cards didnt quite fit the slots in the case very well... i will have to check that out along with your other suggestions tonite.. i didnt think they were that bad tho... i did flash to bios 1.4... and saying that, that is what allowed me to get most of the way thru the XP install.. before that it would hang on 'Installing Devices'.....

but like saturn said... ive read about alot of people having mem problems but what ive been finding is its with the 3200XL or LL...

the chuck the f'n thing out the window is sounding better by the hour (throwpc)

lol... thanks!

MadProfessor
12-14-04, 09:26 AM
well, tried all that last night and the only thing i was able to do was to get a new bluescreen message.. yay! "A driver corrupted pool memory used for holding pages destined for disk"

guess its a memory prob...

saturnotaku
12-14-04, 09:38 AM
If that's the case, do everything you did last night with only one stick of memory installed. If that one passes, then put in the other stick and test. You should be able to narrow the problem down. Once you know which stick is causing you problems, get in contact with Corsair. If you have a credit card, they will send you a replacement set first. Good luck.

Riptide
12-14-04, 10:16 AM
I know it's been suggested but I want to reiterate: make sure you increase vDIMM before you give up. Try 2.8v. I've seen IRQL errors and things like that come up in setup quite often because some boards don't give the memory enough voltage @ default settings. Which is ofcourse lame-o but it's still a fairly common problem.

MadProfessor
12-14-04, 10:20 AM
thanks for the reply...

i guess i forgot to mention that part... i did try each stick one at a time in slot 2 (green) and was able to get a brand new bluescreen error.. how exciting... "A driver corrupted pool memory used for holding pages destined for disk"

im kinda wondering if i should just return these sticks and get something completely different.. i dont seem to find too many w/ my same config..

thoughts?

Pandora's Box
12-14-04, 10:46 AM
whats your power supply specs?

i had this problem on an hold hp system. replaced the power supply and it worked fine.

MadProfessor
12-14-04, 01:52 PM
its an AeroPower II+SE
TOTAL OUTPUT DC OUTPUT
550W
| +3.3V | +5V | +12V | -12V | -5V | 5VSB
|28A |42A | 30A |0.6A |0.6A | 2.0A
|MAX 220W |

not even sure if its a good one or not... of course it looks cool, but if it's the problem, look where cool has me now! :P

Pandora's Box
12-14-04, 02:12 PM
well according to the do not buy list here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

your power supply is in the list hehe.

whats your budget for a new power supply?

MadProfessor
12-14-04, 02:23 PM
HA!!! thats funny... just my luck... at this point, what's the best??

FastM
12-14-04, 02:25 PM
http://www.memtest.org/ is your friend

Direct link to the Floppy download http://www.memtest.org/download/1.40/memtest86+-1.40.floppy.zip

I trust this program like no other.

MadProfessor
12-14-04, 02:44 PM
thats why im having a hella time.. i ran that thru 2 cycles from a boot cd and got 0 errors... this thing is driving me batty..

Pandora's Box
12-14-04, 03:31 PM
at this point OCZ POWERSTREAM 600WATT is the best. However, this powersupply has been known to take out systems. Buy the 520watt which doesnt have this track record. Its the best, well second best hehe.