PDA

View Full Version : Re-installation woes

clarendon
12-13-04, 12:29 PM
OK, I realise I may sound like a klutz.

I added a fan to my Leadtek Winfast A250 (a GeForce4 Ti4600 card), cos it was overheating. I had to remove the card to do it. It went securely back in.

Now, though. I can't get the computer to recognise it. It just says it has a VGA device, running on the generic driver. I've tried the obvious things (I'm not very expert): uninstalling drivers rebooting and reinstalling rhe latest NVidia drivers (the 66s I think). But although the NVidia install SAYS the drivers have installed, they haven't. DXDIAG and Device Manager still say I only have a VGA card (no mention of GEForce anywhere), which obviously I can't use to do anything useful like play HL2.

I did try a system restore, but each restore point I tried failed (I didn't go all that far back). I've noticed that before with system restore.

Any suggestions would be hugely welcome. I tried tech support at the card and computer manufacturer, but naturally they were useless.

Thanks a lot

C

Superfly
12-13-04, 12:47 PM
did you forget your AGP driver????

system restore sucks ass - leave it alone

clarendon
12-13-04, 12:50 PM
hum, I'm not sure I know about AGP drivers. Do I have to remove some, or install some (and where do I get em?) I know this sounds dumb.

Superfly
12-13-04, 12:54 PM
get them off your motherboard CD - or download the latest version from your Chipset manufacturer.

$n][pErMan
12-13-04, 01:56 PM
System restore has saved my ass many times :)

clarendon
12-13-04, 04:55 PM
Well, I, pretty confused.

I reinstalled the chipset drivers, and I checked using Everest, to be safe. It says AGP is enabled, and the whole AGP section of its diagnostic looks fine.

I installed Nvidia's drivers and it SAID they were installed fione. But the card still just shows up as a VGA device running the generic driver, and doesn't, of course, work with any games.

???

NemesisChild
12-13-04, 06:47 PM
Well, I, pretty confused.

I reinstalled the chipset drivers, and I checked using Everest, to be safe. It says AGP is enabled, and the whole AGP section of its diagnostic looks fine.

I installed Nvidia's drivers and it SAID they were installed fione. But the card still just shows up as a VGA device running the generic driver, and doesn't, of course, work with any games.

???

Hmmm, very odd. If device manager shows the generic driver and not the 66.xx driver that you installed, then I would say it could be a driver conflict. Try booting into safe mode, use drive cleaner to remove all previous driver, then install the new driver. Or manually install the driver, it always works for me. Also, check with your PC manufacturer, maybe they have a bios update.

clarendon
12-13-04, 07:17 PM
thanks for your interest....I did try the driver cleaner, but it didn't help. Another odd thing is that, even though the NVidia drivers say they are installed, they don't show up on add/remove programs.

everything worked fine until I put the fan in (and upgraded the memory at the same time), so I can't understand it.

would be grateful for any other ideas!

C

clarendon
12-14-04, 10:06 AM
Please can anyone shed further light? Tech support is useless. You clever guys are my only hope.

The card is clearly not completely dead...the output to the monitor still comes from it. But no matter which NVidia drivers I try to install, nothing happens. The card doesn't show up on device manager or on dxdiag, there's j8ust a "VGA device" running generic drivers. Everest diagnostics seems to show the AGP slot is working fine.

thanks

rombat
12-14-04, 10:24 AM
This may be a shot in the dark, but you might want to disable your nic when you install new hardware so it will not automatically download any drivers? I had problems installing drivers due to the XP automaitically checking for drivers online and downloading them every time it detected new hardware.

clarendon
12-14-04, 11:02 AM
I tried that!

thanks, though, mate.

Superfly
12-14-04, 11:06 AM
do you have onboard graphics?? - if so is it disabled........

Superfly
12-14-04, 11:07 AM
failing that I'd say you damaged the card changing the fan.

how about a nice 6600GT????

go on you know it makes sense......

clarendon
12-14-04, 12:41 PM
I DO have onboard graphics (I think), but I don't know how to disable it. The feed for the monitor, though, is coming off of the graphics card, not the MB.

and yes, I DO have my eye on a GT. But I'm a bit reluctant to shell out and then find it wasn't the card that was wrong. How could I check that.

thanks superfly!

C

Superfly
12-14-04, 02:34 PM
you can check in your BIOS settings during boot-up to see if the onboard graphics is disabled - some MoBo's will do this by themselves when they detect something in the AGP slot - however most don't.

If you have an onboard GPU enabled then that could well explain the driver installing but "not" installing issue you have.

How can you check to see if its the card that broken?? - well keep testing by process of elimination untill your left with the culprit!!

Glad to help - or at least try :-)

clarendon
12-14-04, 03:34 PM
My BIOS seems to be set to auto, which means that an AGP card will override the on-board graphics. so i guess it isn't that. I'm coming to the conclusion that I must have wrecked the card, though I can't see how.

I've just bought a 2nd hand AT Rage Pro 128 AGP Graphics Card for 7 off ebay, so if that works, I'll know what the culprit was.

Thanks!