PDA

View Full Version : A real test of hardware.

Zolden
12-13-04, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else here is an avid MMORPG fan such as myself, but I've been pretty into Everquest II since it came out on Nov. 9th. I consider this to be the most graphically intense game created yet. It far surpasses even Half-Life 2 or Doom 3. My one gripe is that I don't believe there is any hardware that can run this thing on maxed out settings with a very good, stable framerate. There are five levels of graphics settings which range from performance based to ultra details.

What I was running before:

P4 2.66 processor
MSI Geforce 4 ti4600 128mb
1024 ram
SB audigy

I ran the game on 'high performance' which generally did not look as superb but ran at a decent framerate(There are four levels of detail settings above this). Even after upgrading to a Gigabyte 6800GT 256 card, on High Detail the performance is pretty lacking. Average fps was in the 20's or so, depending on area in game.

The real challenge to the card was setting it to ultra. Now, I have right mind enough to think that the processor speed might be dragging down my system now, correct me if I'm wrong. FPS on ultra was generally in the mid teen's, with studders and freezes of up to 4 seconds if I was moving. I captured some screens while I had it on ultra, and attached them below.

http://www.zolden.com/images/EQ2_guard.jpg
http://www.zolden.com/images/EQ2_guard2.jpg
http://www.zolden.com/images/EQ2_water.jpg

What I'm hoping to achieve with this post is suggestions on getting this game to run at it's full graphic potential as well as keeping a steady framerate. I'm guessing a processor upgrade would do well, so depending on my gigabyte motherboard I'm going to upgrade that asap. My card is also stock with no OC or modifications thus far. I guess I was kind of expecting to have a great deal better of performance out of such an expensive card.

Faster
12-13-04, 02:22 PM
a FX 53 would push your graphics. lol.

Or overclocking your P4 towards 3.4ghz.

saturnotaku
12-13-04, 02:44 PM
I guess I was kind of expecting to have a great deal better of performance out of such an expensive card.

You have a video card that's more than two generations old trying to run a game that just came out within the last several weeks. To expect your card to be capable of running such a game at ultra high settings is asinine. A new CPU would help, but a new video card would be much more beneficial. Your current CPU isn't bad at all and would get better with a little bit of overclocking. You should be able to hit 3 GHz without any problems, and if you get a new video card, it will scale very well with the free increase in CPU speed.

If you're not up for that, you'll either have to live with lower resolution/graphic details or lower performance at higher details. You're not going to be able to have it both ways on your current setup.

nIghtorius
12-13-04, 02:48 PM
You have a video card that's more than two generations old trying to run a game that just came out within the last several weeks. To expect your card to be capable of running such a game at ultra high settings is asinine. A new CPU would help, but a new video card would be much more beneficial. Your current CPU isn't bad at all and would get better with a little bit of overclocking. You should be able to hit 3 GHz without any problems, and if you get a new video card, it will scale very well with the free increase in CPU speed.

If you're not up for that, you'll either have to live with lower resolution/graphic details or lower performance at higher details. You're not going to be able to have it both ways on your current setup.

it helps when you read a post.. :rolleyes:

Even after upgrading to a Gigabyte 6800GT 256 card

PSYCHODAD
12-13-04, 02:52 PM
it helps when you read a post.. :rolleyes:
Yes it does.

GlowStick
12-13-04, 03:13 PM
EQ2 is a very very very demanding game. They did that on purpose because they plan on haveing EQII last longer than EQ1 (witch is still going strong)

SLi setups are the best preformance you can get out of the game today, however if you want off the wall preformance you are going to have to wait for a newer generation of cards to come out.

saturnotaku
12-13-04, 03:54 PM
(snowlol) I'm dumb. (xmassign2

mustrum
12-13-04, 07:54 PM
As allready mentioned the EQ2 engine is just buggy as hell right now.
Water settings slow down the whole game even when there's no water within hundrets of meters. The memory leak makes the game unplayable every 2 hours or less.
The game runs better on a 9800 PRO than on my ULTRA. It's just bugged nothing more.