PDA

View Full Version : How do gamepads for PC simulate mouselook?

stubby
12-13-04, 03:50 PM
I'm thinking of getting a gamepad for PC, but a question i've always had is that since I don't find any trackball etc on a gamepad, how do they simulate mouselook (ie, able to view 360 degrees in a game like how u'd do with a mouse)?

EciDemon
12-13-04, 04:26 PM
You wound need an analog stick, preferably two.

With console ports a game pad is gold!
I got so friggin tierd of all these half quallity game pads that Ive had over the years so now I have a few Ps2 to PC converters that lets you use the Ps/ps2 controllers as a gamepad in your pc.

Works great, lots of buttons and two sticks.

But dont be thinking about playing FPS's with a game pad, nothing beats the mouse at that.

Edge
12-13-04, 04:40 PM
Usually the second analog stick can be used to "simulate" the mouse, although with normal drivers the game will have to be programmed to accept input from it. I suppose you could allow the second analog stick to actually take over the role of a mouse (i.e. so moving the stick would move the Windows mouse) if you knew how to do it. Most of the time the game takes care of configuring the gamepad, many even support rumble and analog input. It was kinda funny playing Halo PC with an Xbox controller.

stubby
12-13-04, 05:13 PM
would u recommend any cheap gamepads w/ sticks I can get for my PC (looking for around the $20 - $30USD range)

ynnek
12-13-04, 05:25 PM
Playstation 2 controller and one of these adapters..

http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?nav=left_sub&category=55&

I personally like the Sony PS2 controllers the best.. If you think about it, console based controllers have to be the best, because its basically the only input device for consoles!

YOGIx213
12-13-04, 06:24 PM
Here are some of our takes on different gamepads. I personally like the PS2 USB convertor. I think many try to immitate but the PS2 controller is still tops for me.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41698

Oh and if you're interested in the PS2 convertor, you may find it hard to find but there are many stores selling them on ebay. Just type in "superbox ps2"

WeReWoLf
12-13-04, 06:47 PM
www.liksang.com You can find gamepad convertors and lots more. I got the Xbox, PS2 and GameCube convertor for my comp. PS2 for Racing, GameCube for WoW and such. Never ended up using the Xbox controller yet. Must try Halo PC...

stubby
12-13-04, 06:53 PM
as I predominantly play either FPSs or RPGs would you recommend using a gamepad or just sticking to the keyboard/mouse combo?

Edge
12-13-04, 07:29 PM
If you have an Xbox, the cheapest converter is the one you make yourself. If you have cheap access to Xbox extension cables and USB cables (my total cost was $5 for the one I made), you can easilly cut and splice them togeather, and just load the driver on the PC and it will work.

For FPSes and RPGs, meh, for PC FPS games the keyboard/mouse is going to be best 99% of the time (although it wasn't too bad for Halo PC, for obvious reasons), but for RPGs it depends on the game. Baldor's Gate style RPGs no, but Final Fantasy styled ones or platformer type games would work much better on the controller. Oh, and it's almost a requirements for emulating older console games :)

YOGIx213
12-13-04, 07:30 PM
I would stick with the keyboard/mouse combo for FPS games (not much of an RPG fan so I wouldn't know about that issue). For games that are ported from consoles, the gamepads are great. I use the PS2 gamepads for Madden 2005, NBA Live 2005, MVP Baseball 2004, NFSU2, and also for MAME titles like Street Fighter vs. Capcom. For FPS games I stick with the Keyboard and mouse.

s-flow
12-14-04, 06:17 AM
http://www.softwareexpress.se/WebShop/Application/Article/ArticlePreviewForm.php?Id=15581&ImgAttribute=Large

Will this pad be good enough and will this pad work with the USB converter or should I go for two PS2 orginal pads?

I have a Logitech rumblepad now but will get 2 identical pads, not sure
I would like another Rumblepad though (the sticks are not so comfortable).

|MaguS|
12-14-04, 07:30 AM
I personally like my Logitech Wireless Wingman, It's shaped like the PS2 pad but offers 3 face buttons like the old saturn controllers so its easier to use in Fighting games.

YOGIx213
12-14-04, 07:42 AM
http://www.softwareexpress.se/WebShop/Application/Article/ArticlePreviewForm.php?Id=15581&ImgAttribute=Large

Will this pad be good enough and will this pad work with the USB converter or should I go for two PS2 orginal pads?

I have a Logitech rumblepad now but will get 2 identical pads, not sure
I would like another Rumblepad though (the sticks are not so comfortable).

This pad will work if it has a PS2 plug. If not, then any type of PS2 generic brand should do. As long as they have the same plug as the PS2 (or PS1).

ynnek
12-14-04, 02:07 PM
I tried a couple of generic Playstation2 controllers.. they always had some odd quirk with them.. IMO, I'd just stick with the real Sony PS2 controllers..