PDA

View Full Version : Two 6800GT's with AC VGA Silencer5's on an Asus SLI board?

palo_alto87
12-13-04, 07:08 PM
(My god, I just realised how incredibly geeky the title sounds. I hope to god that no one of the opposite sex sees this thread :P)

For my new computer, I'm planning on having two XFX 6800GT's (only model that seems to be available in Sweden this decade) on an Asus Nforce4 SLI board. I want to overclock them to at least ULTRA speed (that's possible with 2.0NS memory, right?) while still keeping the cards, and especially my case, cool. This, I figure, can't be done with the XFX stock single slot coolers and therefore I'm considering replacing them with either some kind of water cooling solution, or a pair of Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer5's. As I don't have the case space for water cooling and would like to avoid the hassle and hefty monetary investment that comes with it, I'm currently leaning towards choosing the latter; however, I'm not sure if it would work very good or at all.

The Asus SLI board has been designed with extra space between the SLI ports to allow two ULTRA's with dual slot fans to be connected (as can be seen and read about here (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2284&p=1)). It doesn't seem to working all that well, mind you, cause from what I hear the cards get very hot because they simply don't get enough breathing space. Now, those XFX's I plan to buy aren't ULTRA's, but with the Silencer5's they'll become just as wide as if they were.

Do you guys think this will be a problem? I'm hoping that it won't, as a Silencer5 is pretty different from a stock ULTRA cooler, and a GT card generates less heat than its bigger brother. Still, I would like to know for sure before I buy anything :)

BladeRunner
12-13-04, 07:29 PM
As my boss used to say:- "how long is a piece of string"? (twice the length from the middle to an end) (xmasgrin)

No one can give you a 100% answer as it depends on so many specifics. If I were you, and I am sort of, as I'm getting a similar setup, I'll get it all running with stock stuff first to make sure everything works ok before removing coolers etc. I'm still waiting on the board (mikec)

Asus Nforce 4 A8N-SLI Deluxe
FX-53
1 GB Crucial Balistix
2 x Leadtek 6800GT PCI-Express - conseq SLI
2 x 36 WD Raptors on RAID 0
Globalwin Sapphire 520watt PSU

You can always use extra case fans directed at the hot parts initially until you are sure it's all ok and work out what you need

palo_alto87
12-13-04, 07:52 PM
Okay, sound reasonable enough. Thanks :)

But, just a quick question about my other option; water cooling. The block from the kit I'm considering only cools the GPU, and I'm wondering this: would just plain 'ol heatsinks (for example the blue ones from Zalman) be enough to cool the ram?

photophreak314
12-13-04, 07:55 PM
The silencers would probably be better, as they'll pump the hot air OUT of the case, unlike the standard Ultra coolers.

palo_alto87
12-13-04, 08:03 PM
The silencers would probably be better, as they'll pump the hot air OUT of the case, unlike the standard Ultra coolers.
Yeah, that's why I'd really like to use them. With only one case fan in the back, the air is still and hot enough as it is. I'm thinking that the Silencer5's could actually make my rig cooler than it is now, despide the two added lava hot GT's :)

BladeRunner
12-13-04, 08:03 PM
Again it's not possible to give you an across the board answer, too many variables & specifics. Personally I would say no myself from my experience of lower airflow environments. The ram gets pretty hot on all the top end cards, especially if you o/c, but it also depends on room temp case temp airflow, and how much airflow the sinks will be getting directed at them etc etc. According to the reviews I've read the mobo chipset gets very hot so that might be something to consider first as it's in between the cards...... :cool2:

palo_alto87
12-13-04, 08:12 PM
Again it's not possible to give you an across the board answer, too many variables & specifics. Personally I would say no myself from my experience of lower airflow environments. The ram gets pretty hot on all the top end cards, especially if you o/c, but it also depends on room temp case temp airflow, and how much airflow the sinks will be getting directed at them etc etc. According to the reviews I've read the mobo chipset gets very hot so that might be something to consider first as it's in between the cards...... :cool2:
Sounds just as reasonable (xmasgrin)

Considering what the variables and specifics you mentioned are in my case (no pun intended), I'm guessing that getting water cooling to work would be troublesome to say the least. Starting out with a "stock" setup as you say will allow me to evaluate my options further before investing in anything, though, so I think that's what I'll do :)

palo_alto87
12-13-04, 08:43 PM
Oh, yeah, I'll just toss one more question before I go to sleep:
BladeRunner, what kind of cooling do you plan on using on your GT's after you get everything up and running and why?

einstein_314
12-13-04, 09:59 PM
The silencers are a good bet I'd say. When I put in my silencer, my cpu temp dropped 5-6C. They make a huge difference.

Zetto
12-14-04, 01:16 AM
Bladerunner is watercooling :D As for why, isn't obvious? Watercooling so much better than aircooling ;) I'm thinking about fusion waterblock myself but memory thing is stopping ATM

BladeRunner
12-14-04, 02:59 AM
Firstly to live by my own idiom i'll be running it all stock, with a shed load of fans if need be, to make sure all the hardware is ok and nothing needs RMA. Then I'll most likely use the Casscade SS I have here for the CPU, and get another DD NV68 that I'll modify for the other card. Will need to make a custom item for the mobo chipset.....

I will be making my own card cooler set when I have my tooling setup again, but atm I can't do anything but hacksaw / handdrill / file. :cry:

I did modify the DD Nv68 I have to include cooling of the V Regs on the card that do get extremely hot without additional cooling, even with the card fan / heatsink.

http://www.zfz.com/pictures/temp/nv68mod_01.jpg

http://www.zfz.com/pictures/temp/nv68mod_02.jpg

JoKeRr
12-14-04, 01:35 PM
Nice mod, that block must be even heavier now.