PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800/OC reboot loop problem solved

Zubir
12-13-04, 07:24 PM
I was recently having a problem with my BFG 6800/OC that was driving me nuts. The problem was that my system would reboot after the Windows splash screen constantly if I had a nvidia driver loaded. It would work fine with the Windows VGA driver. I RMA'd the card, and BFG sent it back saying all was good with it. I even was considering buying a new mobo, thinking it was an incompatability with the K8T800 Via chipset.

The solution? Getting rid of the craptastic BFG heatsink. I'd taken the old heatsink off to see if any thermal paste was or wasn't under there, and broke off one of the retaining studs when putting it back on. I wan't about to throw a $300 video card away over that, so I bought one the Artic Cooling NV5 Silencer heatsinks, put it on, and everything is running! I didn't realize how bad the BFG heatsink was until I put this thing on. The temp with the old heatsink was idling at 90C! Hell, I didn't know that was bad. Everyone was saying that the 6800's ran hot, and I thought 90C was normal. With the AC NV5 heatsink, I'm idling at 40C.

To the people who may be having the same problem I had, buy a new heatsink. It only costs $30, and overheating may be all that's wrong with the card.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40&data=2&disc=

Faster
12-13-04, 07:31 PM
wtf....

you RMAed the card and they said everything was fine with 90c idle?? They must not have tested it....or you have really bad air flow in your case. Must be a faulty cooler or bad contact with the core. Probably just needed to be taken off and put back on.

Mine with standard cooler was idling at like 42c.

Salamandar
12-13-04, 07:36 PM
I was recently having a problem with my BFG 6800/OC that was driving me nuts. The problem was that my system would reboot after the Windows splash screen constantly if I had a nvidia driver loaded. It would work fine with the Windows VGA driver. I RMA'd the card, and BFG sent it back saying all was good with it. I even was considering buying a new mobo, thinking it was an incompatability with the K8T800 Via chipset.

The solution? Getting rid of the craptastic BFG heatsink. I'd taken the old heatsink off to see if any thermal paste was or wasn't under there, and broke off one of the retaining studs when putting it back on. I wan't about to throw a $300 video card away over that, so I bought one the Artic Cooling NV5 Silencer heatsinks, put it on, and everything is running! I didn't realize how bad the BFG heatsink was until I put this thing on. The temp with the old heatsink was idling at 90C! Hell, I didn't know that was bad. Everyone was saying that the 6800's ran hot, and I thought 90C was normal. With the AC NV5 heatsink, I'm idling at 40C.

To the people who may be having the same problem I had, buy a new heatsink. It only costs $30, and overheating may be all that's wrong with the card.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40&data=2&disc=

Ugly, so All this BFG support is nothing but some Bull sh!t !
Another reason that makes BFG just like any other overrated company.
:mad:

Zetto
12-13-04, 08:40 PM
lol, BFG's own technicians don't know much. For example, they have no idea why brand-new cards' anti-static bags would be resealed. When I got this BFG 6800 ultra, there were 2 stickers on the anti-static bag, one on top of the other and the bottom one was broken. So naturally I assumed that it's not brand new and called BFG tech support to check. The guy over there said that it's definitely strange that new cards are re-sealed but then I read somewhere that BFG doesn't actually make cards but out-source them. So, before packing the cards in their boxes, BFG is supposedly opens the bags to change the thermal paste on the core to AS5 and seals it again. This seems to be a very reliable description and matches my experience. The BFG tech apparently is not aware of this practice :D

Slammin
12-13-04, 10:01 PM
lol, BFG's own technicians don't know much. For example, they have no idea why brand-new cards' anti-static bags would be resealed. When I got this BFG 6800 ultra, there were 2 stickers on the anti-static bag, one on top of the other and the bottom one was broken. So naturally I assumed that it's not brand new and called BFG tech support to check. The guy over there said that it's definitely strange that new cards are re-sealed but then I read somewhere that BFG doesn't actually make cards but out-source them. So, before packing the cards in their boxes, BFG is supposedly opens the bags to change the thermal paste on the core to AS5 and seals it again. This seems to be a very reliable description and matches my experience. The BFG tech apparently is not aware of this practice :D

First I've heard of that. My guess is that you got a return.

test4echo
12-13-04, 11:41 PM
That can't be...

I got a BFG 6800 OC and it does not come in an anti-static bag.....

Mine came in molded plastic.
I would say you got a referb if it came in a bag....lol

I have never heard of a 6800 OC idle at 90C.
Mine with stock cooling only reaches 70c at most under hours of load.
41c is idle.

Thats very strange that card you have....

Test,